1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it legal to own an RPG?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Nowhere Man, Jan 17, 2013.

  1. Nowhere Man

    Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

    I keep hearing the talking heads say it's illegal to own machine guns and RPGs. I know they are half wrong. Is it legal to own an RPG?

  2. Dr. Sandman

    Dr. Sandman Well-Known Member

    It depends. How about some more information?
  3. Nowhere Man

    Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

    The press says we can't own machine guns. Yes we can. We can own cannons. We can own tanks. We can own fighter jets.

    With the proper paperwork, is there any law that says we can't own an RPG?

  4. JohnnyK

    JohnnyK Well-Known Member

    look on gun broker they have rpg on there...
  5. Fryerpower

    Fryerpower Well-Known Member

    It can't be totally illegal or they would not have been able to do the Myth Buster's episode about the scene from the movie "Red".

  6. Diamondback6

    Diamondback6 Well-Known Member

    Depends on State laws. Federally, machine guns are registered under the National Firearms Act of '34, and to be legally transferable for civilian ownership it needs to have been registered before the registry closed in 1986. $200 tax and a Form 4 to register.

    For an RPG, it'd be an Explosive Destructive Device... assuming it was legally imported, again, $200 and a Form 4.

    Let's say you could get somebody to sell you an Abrams, roll-away, just as a thought experiment. The coaxial 7.62 and the commander's hatch gun would be illegal MG's and have to be scrapped, the main gun at greater than 1/2" bore and no sporting purpose is a Large Bore Destructive Device ($200 and a Form 4), and each shell is an Explosive DD (which means $200 and a Form 4 EACH). And, oh by the way, you ALSO have to make sure it's kosher under all State and Local laws too...

    IANAL and I'm not even a meber of the NFA-owner club, but I've been following the subject ever since college, and hopefully this'll help you out a little.
  7. Zardaia

    Zardaia Well-Known Member

    Depends on your state, some have there own ban on nfa items others you only got jump through all the right fed hoops. Are there any transferable rpg's? I mean live rockets not just the tubes. If so i imagine the price'd be sky high for a cheap military weapon. Just because somthing's technicaly legal dosn't mean it isn't legislated into practical non-existence or at least non-existent at a fair market price rather than locked supply prices.
  8. Nowhere Man

    Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

    Oh man, you guys are getting way more specific/technical than I wanted to go with my hypothetical question. :( To be expected, I guess.

  9. brnmw

    brnmw Well-Known Member

    It would not be worth the "Red tape" and or responsibility of owning one.... fun to shoot taking out a tree stump, yes...Not own. IMO.
    (But Law State to state would be the answer to that.)
  10. There ARE registered RPG rocket launcher in civilan hands. Many were "built" or "re-watted" after being made into a dewat or demilled. The paper work and approval is filed first, then the entity (manufacturer or individual) fabricates the weapon. DOWNSIDE? Each individual rocket fired from an RPG launcher, which are pretty much non-existent as original, explosive warhead, would also be subject to a $200 tax for each one (same as a hand grenade), and classified as a destructive device (DD), and require the same approval by BATF. Once you fired it, the cost of the rocket and the extra $200 tax is gone up in smoke. Lots of people have registered 40mm grenade lauchers, like M79's or M203's, but most just shoot practice rounds, flares, smoke, or tear gas grenades that do NOT require the $200 tax as those projectiles are not classified as destructive device/explosive warheads. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w.................................. [​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  11. Nowhere Man

    Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

    Thanks guys!

  12. Prince Yamato

    Prince Yamato Well-Known Member

    You can also shoot 40mm buckshot rounds too.
  13. JustinJ

    JustinJ Well-Known Member

    How did explosive projectiles make their way to private ownership and are the same routes no longer available?
  14. If you know HOW to make HE rounds for an RPG, and file the correct app's for licenses and permits, you can register your own (destructive device -grenade). Contact BATF.
  15. Nasty

    Nasty Well-Known Member

    An M79 can also be fired with a 12ga reducer...rounds of skeet could be great fun!
  16. el Godfather

    el Godfather Well-Known Member

    This is very interesting.

    Where I live, I can own a Glock 18C, but not RPG. I am not sure how to manage RPGs in civilian use. Not against it, but not sure how to manage it.

    Registering each rocket would be a pain. There should be some way to cover that in one paperwork. May be a commercial less lethal projectiles should be made available to handle that. Not sure. Just discussing ideas.

    This entire AWB should be scraped. It is just another reason for illegal weapons.
  17. mboylan

    mboylan Well-Known Member

    The storage requirments and licenses needed to own high explosive rounds are way beyond people who don't work with HE for a living. The $200 NFA tax is the lowest obstacle.
  18. The requirement to have a magazine (storage area) for a DD is no different than those required for black powder storage for gun stores that sell black powder.
  19. Kramer Krazy

    Kramer Krazy Well-Known Member

  20. Nowhere Man

    Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

    That's AWESOME!!


Share This Page