1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leaving IL, what to do with my guns

Discussion in 'Legal' started by seanie!, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seanie!

    seanie! Well-Known Member

    I've officially made up my mind that it's time to get out of Illinois. I am looking to move to a more gun friendly state, also known as Arizona. When I move, can I take my guns with me? Or do I have to send them via FFL?
  2. dogrunner

    dogrunner Well-Known Member

    They're yours! Just pack 'em up and enjoy your new home and the freedoms it affords............you WON'T look back!

    Just as an afterthought, it is really remarkable that the mindset inculcated into folks that live is States like his have. It is truly sad to have a freeborn American Citizen voice this repeated refrain of "do I have to get permission" query...........I truly feel sorry for those brought up in such an environment and applaud their decision to get the devil out of those places!
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  3. LeonCarr

    LeonCarr Well-Known Member

    Welcome to America
  4. AirplaneDoc

    AirplaneDoc Well-Known Member

    Best of Luck,

    I am trying to get the hell out of here too.

    I understand that sometimes the moving companies give you static, but if they do not "see" them, as they are already packed with clothes, and other stuff. No problems. Otherwise just put them in you car. and go.

    Remember most every other state is more gun friendly than IL.

    Best of Luck

  5. floydster

    floydster Well-Known Member

    I won't go anywhere near Illinois, it is a criminal infested gun hating state in favor of the outlaws.
    When I go down south I give it a wide berth, they will never get any of my $$$.
    Wisconsin is not far behind.

  6. floydster

    floydster Well-Known Member

    If they are handguns put them in a lockable container separate from the ammo.
    And for long guns I think all you have to do is have them in a case unloaded,
    Someone correct me if I am wrong.
  7. damien

    damien Well-Known Member

    Illinois is not that bad if you get your FOID card. We don't have concealed carry or NFA weapons, but we don't have any of the other stupid laws either. No mag capacity limit, no semi-auto bans, no one-gun-a-month limit, no training requirement, no unreasonable waiting period (24 or 72 hours), no .50-cal ban, reasonable transportation requirements (unloaded and in a case of any description). Out of staters, I don't know exactly how well they will treat you without a FOID card. Chicago is worse, but that is a very small part of the state stuck in the upper right-hand corner. You do not need to go there.

    These are worse: HI, CA, MD, DE, RI, MA, NY, NJ, CT, DC.
  8. Phatty

    Phatty Well-Known Member

    and you never leave your own property.
  9. damien

    damien Well-Known Member

    Legal "transportation" of firearms means having it in a case and unloaded. So at least you can have one in your car - that's what I do. Yeah, CCW is not allowed. For all practical purposes the other ten states I listed it is not either because of restrictive licensing.
  10. Omaha-BeenGlockin

    Omaha-BeenGlockin Well-Known Member

    NEVER let movers touch your guns---move them yourself or they will disappear.

    I would stop at the state line--burn the FOID card and give them the finger. Then turn around and be on my way smiling.:D
  11. Phatty

    Phatty Well-Known Member

    What I meant by the above statement was that Illinois is relatively permissive with what you possess or do on your own property. However, the second you step off your property you might as well be in China because you can't even touch a loaded gun.

    A gun is pretty much worthless as a tool when not loaded. Do you keep it in your car in case you need to pistol whip a would-be carjacker?
  12. JHK94

    JHK94 Well-Known Member

    I did the same thing a few years ago. Transported my guns normally (with my FOID, in a case, etc) while in IL...once I was outside of state lines, there wasn't anything else to do! Now that I'm an AZ resident, I'd have to do some magic to bring them back easily....
  13. shotgunjoel

    shotgunjoel Well-Known Member

    Good for you, now I just need to flee.
  14. BBQLS1

    BBQLS1 Well-Known Member

  15. tuckerdog1

    tuckerdog1 Well-Known Member

    FOID card?

    Is that some kind of permission slip to buy/own a gun?

  16. Give half to Dick Daley and half to Obama. Maybe one for Bobby Rush.

    That's precisely what it is - welcome to one of the most gun-hating states in the USA, and in some ways THE worst anti-freedom state.
  17. sctman800

    sctman800 Well-Known Member

    If you are not leaving right away you might think about a Pennsylvania CCW permit. Cheap insurance and depending on your route should be good everywhere except N. M. I am not sure about resident requirements to get a CCW in Arizona but the Pa. should be good untill you establish your resident status in Arizona. Check out www.handgunlaw.us for more information, Jim.
  18. jklinstein

    jklinstein Well-Known Member

    I left Illinois 5 years ago. Legally, you can take anything that is legally yours. You should transport them according to Federal guidelines which guarantee how you can legally take them across state lines. Your easy options are:
    1. Let the movers handle it (which is a bad idea).
    2. unloaded, encased, and not accessible in your vehicle.
    3. Ship them to your destination - NO FFL REQUIRED.

    If it is possible transport them yourself. I'd rather store them and get them later than let the movers handle them. Shipping them could get very expensive.

    Once you establish residence out of state and have transported your firearms, you can ignore the FOID requirements, but be sure to learn the laws of your new state. You might want to keep the FOID card in case you every need to move back.
  19. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    The Federal statute does not require firearms to be encased if they are transported in an exterior compartment of the vehicle such as trunk. Also, if the vehicle does have an exterior compartment, that is where the Federal statute requires the firearms and ammo to be transported.

    HOWEVER, you are not required to actually transport the firearms in accordance with the Federal statute, if you would rather transport them in accordance with the states' laws of the different states you will be passing through. The Federal law merely gives you a simple option without having to concern yourself with all the different states' laws.
  20. Deltaboy

    Deltaboy Well-Known Member

    Pack them up in your car and take them to AZ.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page