1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal Non-NFA SBS?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by LJ-MosinFreak-Buck, Nov 6, 2011.

  1. LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

    LJ-MosinFreak-Buck Well-Known Member

    Forgive me, everytime I try to do a forum search, the website's been taking me to a page saying my token, whatever that is, has expired.

    Anywho, what I wanted to ask is if there's a way to legally own a Non-NFA SBS? How would someone go about doing this, providing there is a way you can?

    Out of sheer curiousity. Nothing more.

  2. backbencher

    backbencher Well-Known Member

    Assuming one lives in a state where this is legal (not Texas, oddly):

    1 - purchase a factory made pistol grip shotgun, & document it - Mossberg is about your only current new option, but there are plenty in the past. A shotgun shipped from the factory w/ a shotgun buttstock, then pistol gripped afterwards, won't do.

    2 - Measure VERY carefully - you must maintain the overall length @ or above 26".

    3 - Never conceal the resulting pistol gripped shotgun on your person, nor mount a buttstock on it.

    On the current Mossy 500 PG, you only gain about 1&1/2", so hardly worth the effort.

    The long answer is in this thread:


    I would suggest a 20 ga - I've run that out of a 21" Youth Rem 870 for years, & it's a lot more controllable than running 12 ga buck out of a 17" Moss 500 from the hip for the Navy.

    Gig 'em,

  3. LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

    LJ-MosinFreak-Buck Well-Known Member

    Alright, I wasn't sure, thought I seen something like this before, but wouldn't let me search for it, odd.

    Anyways, thanks!
  4. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    backbencher has probably the closest answer to "Yes" you'll find.

    (Curious why in number 3 you say that it could not be concealed about the person, however. It's either within the measurements or not. What you choose to do with it afterward doesn't enter into it.)

    However, for what it's worth, it will still be a Title I "Other" Firearm, not technically a shotgun. Don't worry, though, it will still shoot shotshells! :)
  5. PTK

    PTK Well-Known Member

  6. kozak6

    kozak6 Well-Known Member

    Another option might be to cut down a muzzle-loading shotgun if allowed by state and local law.

    Or, there's Pedersoli's muzzleloading smoothbore 20 gauge howdah pistol. Since it's a muzzleloader, it can probably be shipped right to your door.
  7. backbencher

    backbencher Well-Known Member

    LJ, off topic, but would you have a pre-'99 you'd be willing to let go of? I'm looking for a post-deployment Xmas present for myself, and missed out on the mailable Mosins when they were cheap.
  8. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    Holy cow! What a lousy letter of interpretation! Your 10 years in jail and $250,000 fine may hinge on whether you ever slipped it inside your coat?

    The LAW says "capable of being concealed," and provides measurements to define that. Obviously, you COULD conceal ANY weapon, given a big enough garment. That's just BAD interpretation.
  9. backbencher

    backbencher Well-Known Member

    Er, you're surprised the BATFE interprets the law badly? Now, if you were wearing a transparent PVC coat @ the time, they might look favorably on that. I know I would, if you were 18-25, female, shapely, & not wearing much else than a transparent coat & a sub-18" shotgun : )

    Gig 'em,

  10. LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

    LJ-MosinFreak-Buck Well-Known Member

    Oldest I have were made around the '50's. I'd like a pre-99, believe me.

Share This Page