1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MAK90 stock and parts conversion

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by Mac Attack, Mar 15, 2005.

  1. Mac Attack

    Mac Attack Well-Known Member

    I just traded into a MAK90 with the butt-hole stock and really would like to change it out to the standard pistol grip furniture. I read on several posts that one must first determine which type of receiver they have before ordering the appropriate furnature.... ie. slanted vs. straight.

    Anyways, I need help determining which type I have and also would like recommendations from where I can purchase replacement furniture and what parts would I need to replace to be compliant. Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.


    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
  2. Kramer Krazy

    Kramer Krazy Well-Known Member

    You have the more common "stamped" receiver, which takes the "square" mounting area of the buttstock compared with the "round" type used with the milled receivers.......now, I guess I should throw in that changing stocks, "may effect the legality of the rifle", before someone else chimes in with it.
  3. ckyllo

    ckyllo Well-Known Member

  4. Mac Attack

    Mac Attack Well-Known Member

    I was looking at the Kvar site and it looks like I have a milled slanted receiver. From what I understand I will have difficultly finding a replacement stock that will fit. Anyone else replace their thumbhole stock with a traditional pistol grip and stock assembly? Anyw suggestions were I can find a stock to fit my rifle?

    I think I am square on what parts need to be replaced and think I will order parts from tapco.com or other sites I read about.
  5. Drue

    Drue Well-Known Member

    You might want to check out:


    They make a variety of wooden stocks for a variety of AKs, including a slant cut MAK90. The KVar stocks are made for a normal, square receiver. They can be used on a slant cut but you would have to either weld sheet metal onto the reveiver to restore the normal dimensions, which would be expensive and require refinishing, or add epoxy to the stock, sand off and paint to match.

    Assuming that your MAK does not have a foreign muzzle device, you would need 5 US parts to comply with the import law. A US stock set would be three and a US trigger set would be another three, putting you one over. If you like the trigger on your MAK the way it is, you might consider picking up some US mag followers and floor plates. With the stock set, they would make the 5 parts that you need. Just don't get caught with an "un Americanized" mag in your rifle.

  6. yesterdaysyouth

    yesterdaysyouth Well-Known Member

    do you have a belt sander and some time on your hands??

    it's not hard to do...
  7. Roadkill

    Roadkill Well-Known Member

    I got a good deal on a Mak 90, took off the stock, went to a nearby woodshop, used a band saw to trim out the hole into a pistol grip. Did it slowly, trimmed several times being careful, then used a belt sander to smooth it all out. Next I trimmed the stock angle and smoothed it out. Again, I did several small cuts making sure I had it the way I wanted. Result is a full sized one piece stock with a pistol grip. I then cleaned it up, used krylon flat green, brown, and black in a tiger striped camo pattern on the whole gun. Its my kayak/canoe gun. I carry it in a small duffel bag within easy reach. Its a reliable accurate inexpensive shooter I take care of but don't mind getting wet, muddy or banged around.

  8. kngflp

    kngflp Well-Known Member


    Yours is a stamped angle cut. Milled recievers aren't riveted.
    So to get the 5 parts without messing with the trigger or the handgaurds (due to being cheap and too lazy to take off) You could get american made
    1) Buttstock
    2) Pistol grip
    3) Gas piston
    4) Mag follower
    5) Mag baseplate
    Is that correct?

Share This Page