1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe a dumb question but

Discussion in 'Blackpowder' started by Gambit88, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Gambit88

    Gambit88 Well-Known Member

    Can you convert a rifle designed for percussion caps to flintlock by switching out the locks or vice versa, or is it more complacated then that. I want to get a flintlock rifle but the caplock rifles are cheaper right now, so I was thinking about getting a kit and then getting a flintlock at a gunshow. and converting. The more I think about it I would probably need a new barrel too but I dont know

  2. rcflint

    rcflint Well-Known Member

    You can't just go to a gun show and buy a flint lock to drop in... The lock must match the percussion lock in shape and dimensions in order to fit into your wood stock.

    If the maker of your caplock also makes a flintlock, they are probably the same profile and mechanism. If the barrel has a drum and nipple arrangement, then you just need a flash hole plug to replace the drum. If it has a bolster you will need a new barrel with a flint flash hole, also from the same maker in order to fit your stock.

    Many flintlock rifles of old were converted to percussion by replacing thelock, or just the hammer, and installing a drum and nipple. They would convert back easily.

    See what Dixie Gun Works has in rifles and kits, they probably have interchangable locks and parts.
  3. kwhi43@kc.rr.com

    kwhi43@kc.rr.com Well-Known Member

    Here is my way of doing it. Just start with a Flintlock first. Get a replacement
    frizzen. Cut the face off and weld back on in front of the pan. Drill & tap
    1/4-28 for a nipple. Make a steel flint shapped to act as a hammer. This
    works GREAT! You only have to change the frizzen and put in a flint to
    change back & forth. You do not have to put any powder in the pan, when
    using as a cap. This is just one way of doing it.
  4. kwhi43@kc.rr.com

    kwhi43@kc.rr.com Well-Known Member

    This is how it looks as a Flintlock
  5. wittzo

    wittzo Well-Known Member

    That's a brilliant idea, it makes me want to take a second look at some of the flintlocks I've been passing up. Definitely another tool for the toolbox.
  6. 1KPerDay

    1KPerDay Well-Known Member

    That is funky-cool.
  7. sltm1

    sltm1 Well-Known Member

    Really slick conversion!!
  8. BHP FAN

    BHP FAN Well-Known Member

    Confederates started doing that in 1861...[at least the hammer part] nice modern take on it, really slickly done.

Share This Page