1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missouri and handguns

Discussion in 'Legal' started by KaceCoyote, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. KaceCoyote

    KaceCoyote Well-Known Member

    Whats the legalities of handgun purchase in Missouri? I've heard I need a permit, and then I hear I -dont- need a permit. Any input will be -greatly- appreciated.
  2. Gray Peterson

    Gray Peterson Well-Known Member


    Transfer of a handgun, whether by sale privately or publicly, requires a Permit to Acquire from your county Sheriff.

    There is some effort to repeal this with HB911, but it was introduced too late in the session. Perhaps it'll be rivived next year. Expect PTA to either be repealed entirely, or eliminated for Missouri LTC endorsement holders.
  3. Technosavant

    Technosavant Well-Known Member

    Lonnie is correct.

    To purchase a "concealable firearm," go to your county sheriff's office, fill out a permit to acquire, and wait about a week (no more than 7 days; it can't cost more than $10). You can, in the meantime, find a gun you like and place a deposit on it; I haven't yet seen a shop that won't do this. When you pick up the permit, just head on over to the gun shop and finish up the NICS paperwork (a completely different thing than a permit to acquire), give them the rest of your money, and take it on home.

    Interestingly, there is no requirement to otherwise register firearms. Some police agencies might, if you are involved in a shooting, take the weapon and make you get a PTA before you get it back, but it is not illegal to possess a handgun without a corresponding PTA.

    It is a funky and confusing system, and it is completely redundant ever since the federal NICS check was mandated. There is no reason for it to exist anymore.
  4. KaceCoyote

    KaceCoyote Well-Known Member

    Ok now things get complicated. I have a home in both St.Louis and I'm listed as a resident in Kansas. Kansas I -know- doesnt have a permit dealio, can I just head over there and buy a handgun to avoid the monkey business and then bring it back to St.Louis?
  5. Mr. X

    Mr. X member

    Only if you currently reside in KS. Expect friction from dealers if your ID is not KS issued. Allegedly, the BATF considers you a resident of the state in which you currently reside, but I believe they defer to the states and their individual residency requirements in such case.
  6. And yet another thing...

    MO law exempts C&R handguns. No PTA required. Person to Person, no paperwork. Go to a FFL, you will execute a 4473 and they will probably want a PTA too (It's a CYA thing).

    And yet another thing..

    The Loo and some other Socialist Counties require all the waiting period. There are many counties where you goes in, fills out the papers, they runs the checks, you pays the money, gets the PTA, and yer outa there.

    And then finally,

    Transferring a concealable firearm without the PTA is like a misdemeanor and it has a statute of limitations of 1 year. If you know the seller to be a wholesome (Non.gov informant) person, Like fer instance yer brother or like that, and he has owned the piece being bought for more than a year, and since all gun control laws are unconstitutional and need not be complied with, just have yer seller write you out a BoS dated more than a year ago.

    YMMV ;)

Share This Page