1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from PRK to Penn...

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by UltimaSE, Jun 6, 2004.

  1. UltimaSE

    UltimaSE Well-Known Member

    I've just learned that I've recieved admission for a professional school and I'll be moving from California to Pennsylvania within the month. I've lived in California all my life, and I admit I'm a bit scared of this move. But we do what we must do, and this is where I want to be.

    I was wondering if I could ask some questions regarding some concerns of mine.

    I was wondering if I need to do anything in this relocation regarding my ownership of my firearms. Anything California related? And anything Pennsylvania related?

    I've also been able to start looking into the possibility of obtaining a ccw. I realize now that if I had taken the opportunity to apply to florida 3-4 months ago I could have recieved my ccw by now and had it throughout my trip. However, at this point it seems that, that will not be a possibility.

    I was curious if anyone here has had any experience with the ccw application process in Pennsylvania, Montgomery county. I was also curious if anyone has had any experience in applying for a non-resident Florida ccw. Any information would be appreciated.

  2. Jim March

    Jim March Well-Known Member

    Well I can assure you that California doesn't give a dang if you LEAVE with guns.

    The only possible "gotcha" is if you have guns federally declared "Assault Weapons"...there's some sort of transfer rule...anybody remember details? If not I have a friend who knows.

    If you're going to be in California for a little while, the easiest out-of-state permit to get that has wide reciprocity is the Utah permit. Go look up Penn's rules on packing.org, see if they like the Utah card. If so, and if you're gonna be here another month or two, score Utah. Instructors in Calif are easy to find, there's over 50 Utah-authorized trainers in California, listed on the Utah website for such matters. PM me for more details if it looks like that will help.
  3. UltimaSE

    UltimaSE Well-Known Member

    Nope no "assault weapons" here, I do have a polytech waiting for me when I get to penn though, thankfully I don't have to worry about that mag problem and the flash hider any more...

    I realize though I think once I leave I can't bring back my delta elite since I technically purchased it before the california drop test came into effect. I guess if I ever come back I'll have to worry about that.

    Unfortunately time is very short, I'll be leaving within a two weeks. Like I said, I wish I spent some more time getting ready for everything, but the last few months have been a blur. I'd be thankful if you could send me the information of Utah-authorized trainers as I have taken a class locally, and I'm curious if it's on the list.

    Thank you,
  4. The_Antibubba

    The_Antibubba Well-Known Member

    Just make sure to write. We always look forward to getting letters from America.

  5. rms/pa

    rms/pa Well-Known Member

    welcome to my home,

    while i cannot claim any knowledge of montgomry co, the state itself is gun friendly. no registration ( the PA state police may be running a new purchase registry illegaly), own darn near anything you like(nfa or class3 needs some sign offs). for CCW you will need a 90 day residency in some countys.

    if you think of PA as 3 states, phila,pittsbg, and a T shaped alabama in the middle you won't be too far off.


    ps: open carry is legal but impractical, unless in state game lands or forest.
    get some good maps of your area there are game lands and forests tucked into small places all over the state.
  6. Dave Markowitz

    Dave Markowitz Well-Known Member

    Jim, notifying the Feds is not required for "assault weapons," which are defined by the 1994 AWB, it only applies to items covered by the National Firearms Act of 1934.

    UltimaSE, welcome to the USA! PA is one of the best states to be a gunowner in.
  7. UltimaSE

    UltimaSE Well-Known Member

    So I guess so far it seems like in this move I won't have to worry about relocating my "stuff" from california to penn. Great news as I'm pretty behind packing right now already.

    If possible I would like to hear some more experiences about living in Penn and possibly more experiences in obtaining a ccw license in montgomery or surrounding areas as I've gone through the 36 pages of results from searching about pennsylvania. Like I mentioned I've lived in california my entire life and I'm a bit apprehensive of the move.

    Thank you again,
  8. Gunsnrovers

    Gunsnrovers Well-Known Member

    delta elite OK

    "I realize though I think once I leave I can't bring back my delta elite since I technically purchased it before the california drop test came into effect. I guess if I ever come back I'll have to worry about that"

    You can bring a privately owned pistol in the PRK that is not on the "approved drop test list". FFL's can't sell them to PRK residents, but you can bring one in if it's yours.

    Good luck with school.
  9. iamhistory

    iamhistory Well-Known Member

    Enjoy your move, buy, shoot and carry firearms as much as you like and remember this tip from a life long Pennsylvanian....................................

    All though PA is for now a pretty gun friendly state.......things are changing and there is a war being waged within our borders. NEVER NEVER NEVER vote for Ed Rendell.

    Rabid anti-gun, high taxes, lying, weasle, piece of crap, liberal. And yes, I do mean piece of crap. I met the man, I debated the man (gun control) and he is nothing more than a career liberal politician and all the negatives that go along with that label.
  10. AK103K

    AK103K Well-Known Member

    PA is a "shall issue" state. You just need to go the courthouse and apply at the Sheriffs office. Fill out the form, pay your fee(about $20) and if you check out, you will have your permit in 45 days or less. In addition to proof that you live here,(probably best to get your DL first) you will need two references(not at your address or the same address) with their names, physical address,(no PO Boxes) and phone numbers, so you may want to have them lined up and all their info with you or you will have to come back. Some county's require a couple of passport photos, some dont. I live in Bucks County, one over from Montgomery, and they just use the pic from your drivers license. The upper end of Montgomery County is very different than the lower end which is basically Philadelphia. The upper end is still pretty rural in spots but thats changing quickly. Berks, parts of Chester and Upper Bucks and Lehigh Counties are nicer if you like the rural areas and still need to be close enough to the city.
  11. Standing Wolf

    Standing Wolf Member in memoriam

    You're going to love life in the United States, although snow is going to be a surprise.
  12. UltimaSE

    UltimaSE Well-Known Member

    Ah the joys of moving, I just realized I don't even have a clue right now on how to even get my driver's license registered in penn, lots of reading to do. Never had to worry about that thus far...

    I'll probably spend this coming week trying to chase down the two instructors that taught a firearms course that I took a few years ago so I can get their contact information and maybe a letter of reference. And I just realized that I do infact have some references in Penn.

    It's actually kind of funny, my gf's requirements for me getting my ccw license is going to be tougher than the state's as she wants me to take additional classes that are geared towards ccw.

    Oh and snow, I've been out to penn when it was snowing before. First day was wonderous, and beautiful. Second day more of the same, but a bit painful because I fell. Third day it started to get on my nerves. Fourth day I had enough. And now I moving there to so I can deal with the snow every year! oh boy oh boy, this is going to be interesting.

  13. AK103K

    AK103K Well-Known Member

  14. Myself

    Myself Well-Known Member

    Do you know where in Montgomery county you will be living?

    I will second the thought that Northern and Western Montgomery are more rural and of a differen't character, though all of SE PA is filling in rapidly.

    Montgomery County also requires a check with your local police department. I do not know what happens when you have not lived here for long. Each County has slightly differen't procedures for clearing a CCW.

    Good luck and welcome to PA.
  15. JackC

    JackC Well-Known Member

    I live in Bucks County, right next to Montgomery, Your County seat will be Norristown, not the best that P.a. has to offer, but a real pretty court house. Parking there is a real problem, sugest that you look into getting your permit at a satillite county hall if possible. As to the driving lic, there are PennDot centers all over the state, just go to the closest one, bay your money, get your picture taken, and walk out with a P.a. Drivers lic. Go to the State web site for info on locations.
    Think it's www.state.pa.us or something. Do a google for Pennsylvania to find it.
    Montgomery County is a nice area, try to get to the north end of the county if possible, farther from Philly is better.
  16. Racerxadam

    Racerxadam New Member

    hmmm, I didn't know open carry was legal. Have any links?
  17. 45Badger

    45Badger Well-Known Member

    Welcome to PA!

    I think there used to be road signs when you crossed over from NJ, "Welcome to Pennsylvania. America starts here".

    Very gun and hunter friendly.

    If you can expedite your move, I think there's a gun show at Valley Forge next weekend!
  18. RevDisk

    RevDisk Well-Known Member

    Open carry is legal, as there are no laws specifically banning it. Technically however, the cops can try to nab you on a "brandishing" charge. I don't recommend it. Out in the country, local cops won't care. State Police higher ups are anti gun, most individual Staties are not. Don't carry a concealed weapon in Philly, es ist verboten!

    The PSP indeed might be running an illegal registration database. They also refuse to provide any system for out-of-state police to instantly check if a PA CCW is valid. This is the holdup preventing a lot of other states from having retroprocity with the PA CCW. (Ever wonder why a PA CCW is valid in five other states, and none of the border PA?)

    My advice, apply for a PA CCW after your 90 day requirement is up. You could drop in early, ask for a form, and ask if they'd accept the paperwork before your 90 day requirement is expired. Worst they can say is "No". Also get a Florida CCW, covers plenty of other states.

    http://www.packing.org is your friend.

    Check your local ranges, a large number of them offer safety classes.

    Oh yea, welcome to Pennsylvania and the United States! Don't be a stranger. Shoot me an email if ya ever want someone else to bring goodies to the range.
  19. P95Carry

    P95Carry Moderator Emeritus

    Ultima ... I responded to you on TFL but ..... I'll say again ... if you can manage the diversity of weather - you'll be just fine.

    There are (as you are finding out) many folk who will be there to help and support. I am I think too far West to be of any use but .... any of us PA people will be on hand to do what can be done,

    You have a welcome awaiting you ...... and hope to perhaps meet up with you Sept 18/19 if the shoot schedule comes off and you can attend..

  20. Mikul

    Mikul Well-Known Member

    PA is great for a lot of things, but you'll soon learn why half the population buys their liquor in NJ or MD.

    Maybe that's why they're so tough of guns in those states: it's all of the cheap liquor.

Share This Page