1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving with an NFA item?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Mags, Sep 14, 2010.

  1. Mags

    Mags Well-Known Member

    How do you move from state to state with NFA items, providing the items are legal in all states concerned? Do you just notify the ATF, or do you need CLEO of the gaining state/county for approval.
  2. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Well-Known Member

    I do not believe you need a new CLEO signature but I will look into this in the morning.
  3. Mags

    Mags Well-Known Member

  4. medalguy

    medalguy Well-Known Member

    See next post for correct form number
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  5. medalguy

    medalguy Well-Known Member

    Notify ATF by Form 5320.20 prior to making the move is all that's required. And receive approval from them back of course. No LEO sigs needed, it's already yours.
  6. Mags

    Mags Well-Known Member

    Thanks MedalGuy.
  7. mrnkc130

    mrnkc130 Well-Known Member

    right now its taking about a month to get it back too...so send it off in plenty of time.
  8. springwalk

    springwalk Well-Known Member

    ATF doesnt require that form for suppressors, just firearms, but it doesnt hurt to have a paper in hand in case traveling through a state that doesnt know better and a trooper gives ya a hard time.
  9. Quiet

    Quiet Well-Known Member

    DDs, MGs, SBRs and SBSs require BATFE approval (Form 5320.20) prior to moving it across state lines.

    AOWs and Noise Suppressors do not require BATFE approval prior to moving it across state lines.
  10. dajowi

    dajowi Member

    My 5320-20 form took 6 months to return to me.
  11. Zundfolge

    Zundfolge Well-Known Member

    So what did you have to do with the firearm in that 6 months?

    Did you have to store it in your old state? Or did you just keep it locked in the safe at your new home?
  12. jmorris

    jmorris Well-Known Member

    Are you talking about traveling or change of residence?
  13. Mags

    Mags Well-Known Member

    Changing residence from one NFA friendly state to another NFA friendly state.

Share This Page