1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NC Gun Law Question

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Gryphonny, Apr 11, 2008.

  1. Gryphonny

    Gryphonny New Member

    Hi, All -

    Long-time reader, brand new registered member. Hope some of you can steer me in the right direction.

    I currently live in NYFC and possess the stupid NYFC long gun permit which allows me to own my 10/22, 870, and Rem 750. Don't even ask about what a pain it is to get to the range. Needless to say, I'm subject to the stupid New York State "assault" weapons ban.

    I'm originally from NC and plan to move back within the next year. I told you all that so I could tell you this:

    There are several pieces I'd like to add to my collection that are legal to buy and own in NC but not in NY. I'm concerned that the Federal AWB law may be reinstated if the worst happens in November. Can I ask my NC-resident father to buy, for instance, a Mini-14 (yes, I KNOW they're notoriously less than MOA accurate!) with the intent to take possession of it when I move to NC? Would there be any difficulty on the 4473 question that asks if one is purchasing the gun for oneself?

    This would not qualify as a classic straw purchase since I am legally entitled to own firearms and he would not be making the purchase to circumvent any NC or federal laws.

    Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any advice you can offer.

    Molon labe!
  2. misANTHrope

    misANTHrope Well-Known Member

    If he's paying for it with his money, and then you later "buy" it from him, I think you'd be on solid ground. And since you're not prohibited from owning a firearm, I think that solidifies your footing even more.

    However, I'm just a guy who used to work in a gun store, definitely not a lawyer...
  3. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    Nothing wrong with that as long as you become an actual resident of North Carolina before you buy it from him.
  4. cuervo

    cuervo Well-Known Member

    As long as he is "the actual owner of the firearm" he is okay. If he chooses to sell or give you the rifles once you are a resident of NC, there are no federal issues because it is an in-state sale. If any of these include pistols, you technically are supposed to have a purchase permit to give to your father.
  5. Gryphonny

    Gryphonny New Member

    Thanks, all, for the valuable insight!

Share This Page