1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need an advice on lever-action rifle.

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by miko, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. miko

    miko Well-Known Member

    I want a lever-action rifle in 357 Magnum/38 Special

    The Marlins in 357 come with a straight grip that is very uncomfortable for me.
    The Marlins that come with a "pistol crip" feel perfect but do not come in 357

    I want a pistol-grip 357, preferably with 9-10 rounds capacity. Anything out there? Any way to modify?

    Marlin said they could modify one for me for about $250 while the supplies of parts last but is there some way that is less expensive? Not necessarily a Marlin.

  2. ArmedBear

    ArmedBear Well-Known Member


    They are more expensive, though.

    Another option is to get a Colt Lightning replica (pump action made by Taurus, AWA, et al.) but I understand they're not really good for high-powered ammo. They don't tend to come with pistol grips, but it would be easier and cheaper to make a buttstock. They don't have a lever to modify.

    The modified Marlin may be your best bet at the moment.
  3. Brian Williams

    Brian Williams Moderator Emeritus

    Buy an 1894C and a 1894 that has a pistol grip. Take the stock and the trigger plate out of both and swap. Be prepared to spend some time fitting the parts together, but it could be doable. Then sell the straight grip gun.

    There probably are a few folks out there that would like a straight grip 41 mag because most of them come with a pistol grip.

    OBTW, I love my 1894c. It is my favorite centerfire rifle.
  4. 4v50 Gary

    4v50 Gary Moderator Staff Member

    Have Marlin modify one and pay the extra. You'll have a rare gun.
  5. roscoe

    roscoe Well-Known Member

    Have you checked Cabelas? They sell wood stocks for many rifles.
  6. akodo

    akodo Well-Known Member

    check out winchester 94 legacy 24", that has a pistol grip style stock.

    It should be feasable to purchase just the rear stock, plus the lever, as these things do break or get damaged. Swap them onto a winchester 94 trapper model if the 24" is too long for you.
  7. JNewell

    JNewell Well-Known Member

    I converted a Guide Gun to PG but it wasn't all that cheap. Going by memory, I had to buy the finger lever and lower tang (from Numrich, probably around $80-100) and a new buttstock (a takeoff purchased from Wild West Guns), probably another $40 or so, so figure the damage somewhere in the $120-150 range.

    The finger lever and lower tang were hard to find. Marlin had stopped selling them except to gunsmiths (or so I was told) and Brownells was out. Don't know whether they've "unrestricted" the part (or whether any of that applies to the 1894 Marlin rifles).

Share This Page