1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help identifying grips

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by rdrancher, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. rdrancher

    rdrancher Well-Known Member

    I'm a new convert to the world of revolvers but not new to the addiction of grips (or stocks, whichever you prefer) that interest me. I picked up these two sets recently and could use a little help identifying them.


    The imitation stag set is plastic. They were purchased online and sold as 1960's j-frame round to square butt conversion grips. As you can see, the 642-1 grip frame is larger than the grips.

    The following is what I can make out from the inside of the grip. A (?) denotes what I can't read:

    SPORT (?) INC.


    The wood-based set is laminated to imitation black/gray pearl. The grips were purchased at a gun show. The seller did not know what they fit. I guessed that since they were marked 'M&P' that they were for an S&W. The '38' marking is smudged and may read '35'? This area is unreadable on the other grip. Sorry that I didn't include more pics of this grip. I ran out of light.


    Stamped on the bottom is:

    Since I like both of these and will probably eventually purchase guns to match, any help will be appreciated.



    Attached Files:


    JMACDONALD Well-Known Member

    Stag look alikes look like Fitz grips for a short frame Colt Detective Special. Wood look like they are for a S&W round butt K frame.
  3. Old Fuff

    Old Fuff Well-Known Member

    The plastic "stag" grips were made under the name Fransite (spelling is questionable) and marketed by Sports, Inc. They were very popular during a period running from just before WW2 through the 1950's. The pair you have is intended to be used on a square-butt J-frame, and not convert the round-butt to square. If this is your intention, (www.cdnnsports.com) has checkered walnut stocks that will do this.

    The other stocks were made by a company named J Scott (again spelling is questionable) that at one time was a division of Colt. They apparently fit a S&W K-frame revolver with a round butt.


    I need to correct myself. The stag-style grips will indeed convert the round-butt to square, but something is wrong with the fit. I suspect the hole in the bottom of the grips is misaligned with the pin in the frame. You may have to enlarge that hole on each side.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  4. rdrancher

    rdrancher Well-Known Member

    Ah the wonders of the internet.

    Looks like I need to do a bit of shopping. ;)

    Thank you very much!

  5. Jim Watson

    Jim Watson Well-Known Member

    That's "Franzite" and "Jay Scott" for literal minded computer searches.
  6. rdrancher

    rdrancher Well-Known Member

    Thank you Jim.


Share This Page