1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie AR questions

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by eastwood44mag, Aug 12, 2007.

  1. eastwood44mag

    eastwood44mag Well-Known Member

    Yes, they're greenhorn questions, I know, but please don't laugh:

    1.) Aside from .308, do any other available cartridges require the larger receiver?

    2.) Can any parts interchange between the .223 and .308 receivers (if so, which?)?

    3.) How is a stripped receiver registered when it is made (i.e. since it has no barrel, what chambering is it registered as having?)?

  2. RockyMtnTactical

    RockyMtnTactical Well-Known Member

    Any larger calibers that won't fit in an AR15 magwell need an AR10 lower, like .243, etc...

    Something like 60% of parts will interchange IIRC. I don't have the time to name them all though...

    You can get AR15 lowers chambered in a variety of chamberings, although that doesn't mean you cannot chamber it in something other than that. For instance most AR15 lowers are registered as .223/5.56 and some are registered as 9mm or 6.8, etc... but they are all the same dimensions...
  3. Monkeybear

    Monkeybear Well-Known Member

    It is given a serial number and either registered as a pistol receiver or a rifle receiver depending on whether or not it is being turned into a pistol or a rifle. It is not registered for a specific caliber. The manufacture may decide to stamp it with a specific caliber but that is entirely up to them.

Share This Page