1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFA Question

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by Aaryq, Jul 22, 2007.

  1. Aaryq

    Aaryq Well-Known Member

    Howdy, folks. Do NFA weapons have to stay in the same state in which they are registered? Example: California does allow NFA weapons but almost (if ever) denies the permit. North Dakota is a little easier to get an NFA. If I'm a resident of ND and get an NFA weapon and take it to CA once I've paid the tax and had it registered in ND would I be in violation of the law (I'm asking this before I consult a lawyer just as a preliminary query)? The reason I chose CA is because I'm currently stationed there.
  2. CDignition

    CDignition Well-Known Member

    No. Depending on the state you're going to, you can take them, for MG you have to get pre approval..For suppressors, all you need to do is have your paperwork, and make sure it is legal where you're going.

    Now, if you're stationed somewhere, for a long time, that may be considered your residence. Don't worry, you cant take them to Cali either way..totally outlawed there, sorry..
  3. wdlsguy

    wdlsguy Well-Known Member

    An approved Application to Transport Interstate is required for destructive devices, machineguns, short-barreled shotguns, and short-barreled rifles. This form is optional (but good to have) for AOWs and suppressors.

    Assuming California allows the NFA weapon in question, you have any permits required by California, and you have an approved Application to Transport Interstate, you should be good to go. Be sure to read "A Note about NFA Weapons and California" in the NFA FAQ.
  4. tankertom

    tankertom Well-Known Member


    In order to move NFA from state to state you need to get approval on a form 5320.20. To get approval the NFA item has to be legal in the destination state.

    Unfortunately CA is just not an option. You could potentially store something in AZ or NV for quicker access than going back to ND, but you would need secure storate facilities (safety deposit box, gun store locker, etc.)

    The expert on this is James Bardwell. The following link has his FAQ on the topic.


  5. BigRobT

    BigRobT Well-Known Member

    There is also some sort of military exemption on some weapons for those stationed/going to be in California. I don't know the specifics and an NFA weapon might be questionable. Need to check with the state of Ca for specifics.
  6. Quiet

    Quiet Well-Known Member

    Exemption is for official military use only.

Share This Page