1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFA Weapons

Discussion in 'Legal' started by 30mag, Nov 30, 2008.

  1. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    So, I'm 18...
    Can I own a title II firearm?
  2. PTK

    PTK Well-Known Member

    Yes, absolutely. Can't buy them from dealers, though! Odd laws, really....

    I ended up submitting Form 1s starting at age 19, I believe - everything went through. I've had a SBR PS90 since age 20, also on a Form 1.
  3. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    So, I need an FFL, right?

    And how do I begin my journey to title II firearms?
  4. kurtmax

    kurtmax Well-Known Member

    Don't need an FFL.

    You need to either find someone in your state with a NFA firearm that is willing to transfer it to you


    It's probably easier to manufacture one by submitting a Form 1 to the ATF and getting a tax stamp.

    What type of NFA firearm are you trying to get?
  5. WardenWolf

    WardenWolf member

    I would wait. Because I suspect ownership of NFA weapons might be coming to an end as we know it with Obama in power. The whole purpose of the NFA is to track and control restricted weapons, so that if it's ever deemed necessary they can all be rounded up and destroyed. Effectively it's designed so they can say, "Look, we tried this, it isn't working. Turn them in."

    You could no more than get your NFA weapon, after having paid a LOT of money for it, and be ordered to surrender it.
  6. kurtmax

    kurtmax Well-Known Member

    Except that it's a tax stamp. A tax that you already paid. The legislature would have to pass a bill either adding more taxes or making NFA firearms illegal to possess.

    The ATF can't just 'recall' all the NFA firearms...
  7. TexasRifleman

    TexasRifleman Moderator Emeritus

    That makes very little sense frankly. Even during all the previous bans and proposed bans there has never been any talk or attempt to remove the NFA or change it in any way.

    This kind of thing does not get attention and attention is all the anti crown wants.

    NFA as it exists today, in it's neutered form, is likely in very little danger.

    As mentioned, these are tax laws and much more difficult to mess with. NFA is niche stuff, it doesn't get any attention.
  8. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    Umm.. I don't really know what I want..
    I think an automatic something would be cool. Awfully expensive though, right? Maybe a SBS.

    What do you have to do to obtain a title II weapon?
    Transfer tax and register? I thought there was something more.

    Talk to me more about a form 1.
  9. waterhouse

    waterhouse Well-Known Member

    A Form 1 is an application to "make" and register a firearm. Typically, you use it to "make" a SBR or SBS.

    You could go into most gun stores, buy a rifle or shotgun, and bring it home. Then you would fill out the Form 1, pay a $200 tax, either form a trust or get a CLEO sign off, get your fingerprints and photo done (not necessary with the Trust route), and mail it all to the ATF. It sounds like a lot of work, but really it is just filling out paperwork and waiting.

    When they send your paperwork back to you, you can then proceed to "make" you SBS or SBR, by putting a shorter barrel on it. You'll probably need to engrave your name and hometown on the gun as well, since you've technically "made" a new gun, although this gets debated a lot.
  10. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    So, how would I go about buying a NFA firearm from the factory?
  11. kingpin008

    kingpin008 Well-Known Member

    You can't. Unless you're LEO or military, there haven't been any new NFA weapons (full-auto, that is) available since 1986.

    That said, you can buy new suppressors (silencers) and factory-new SBS's (serbu super-shorty, for example) and SBR's.

    And for those (suppressors, factory-new SBS's & SBR's) you'd still need to fill out the proper forms, pay the requisite fees, and enlist the services of a FFL capable of handling Class III/Title II transfers.
  12. Sinixstar

    Sinixstar member

    impactguns has some NFA transferrables available - provided you go through the proper procedures. Expect to pay $$$$$$ for it though.
  13. Sinixstar

    Sinixstar member

    also - it's worth mentioning that it largely depends on where you live, and whether or not you can get someone of authority to sign off for you. I believe you have to have sign-off from a Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO) stating that you have no known outstanding warrants, and there is no standing legal reason as to why you could not own one. Whether or not they choose to sign is entirely up to them. They are under no obligation to do so, even if there is no legal prohibition against your ownership in your state.
  14. PTK

    PTK Well-Known Member

    Which is where the Trust comes into play.
  15. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    Well, I live in a small rural town in Texas.

    No new civvy autos since 1984? So, does this mean there will forever be a dwindling supply of automatics in the civilian market?

    I kinda want an auto...
    But, I think an SBS would be more useful... like a coach gun...
  16. 30mag

    30mag Well-Known Member

    Wow.. that automatic thing kind of disturbs me...
    Outlawing the manufacture of firearms isn't really a violation of the second amendment.
    That REALLY bothers me.
  17. Sinixstar

    Sinixstar member

  18. Sinixstar

    Sinixstar member

    It doesn't outlaw the manufacture of new full autos.
    It outlaws the transfer of full autos that were registered after May 19th 1986.
  19. rabidgoldfish

    rabidgoldfish Active Member

    Am I understanding this correctly? I'm 20 (21 this coming august). Can I go submit a form 1 to build a silencer or SBR/S right now? What about transferring a silencer from either a dealer or individual?
  20. Ranb

    Ranb Well-Known Member

Share This Page