1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NJ guys: Can I buy a rifle out of state and drive home with it?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by JDNJ1985, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    I want to eventually take a road trip to CMP in Ohio to hand pick a Garand. Can i buy it out of state in Ohio and transport it back to NJ in my car? Locked in a case of course.


  2. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    Argh, that's what I feared.


  3. everallm

    everallm Well-Known Member

    Not correct, the law relates to purchasing from an out of state 3rd party whilst you remain in your home state and means that the end of the transaction has to be with a 4473 run by an FFL in your state. So for example you cannot call a gunshop in OH, have an 4473 run remotely in OH and have it posted directly to you in NJ.

    Purchase by you personally in a 3rd party state for return BY you or posted by YOU to YOU via the USPS, UPS/DHL/FEDEX is completely legal.

    Go to OH, buy it from an FFL in OH who runs the NICS check (who has to check the weapon meets the NJ restrictions) and you can drive/fly/swim home with it.

    All legal so long as the firearm is legal to own in NJ and you follow the FOPA transport guidelines.


    Long arms only not handguns

    You need an NJ FID card
  4. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    Really? Cool, thanks for the clarification!

    I wonder if CMP can do the NIC check. Hmmm.

  5. GRIZ22

    GRIZ22 Well-Known Member

    Sorry.No.You must have an FFL transfer from Ohio to NJ.

    Not if you buy at the CMP Store. I believe Ohio only allows sales to contiguous states. CMP does not operate under Ohio law but under regulations established by their charter from Congress.

    You do need all the docs required by CMP age, citizenship, club affliation, marksmanship training, AND your NJ Firearms ID Card. Check the CMP website for requirements.

    CMP will not sell you a M1 carbine as that is not legal to own in NJ. If you meet the requirements they will sell you any M1, 03, 1917, or other rifle as long as it is legal where you live.

    If you go to the store and are qualified to purchase you walk out of the store with it. The only caveat about going directly to the store is what they have on hand varies and you may not find what you want. I was passing by the store on a business trip and did bring home a great Field grade M1.

    They do the NICs at the CMP Store (no extra charge). No need to use a FFL if you're buying from them.
  6. subknave

    subknave Well-Known Member

    The CMP is a different entity than any other and your best bet is to ask them plus as I understand it they will ship the rifle you picked out to you if you want them to do so.

    I have ordered 5 rifles from them and each time it is sent right to my door. I haven't had the chance to go to the store yet but they were here at a gun show and I picked out a gun but had to wait until they returned to headquarters for them to send it to me as they cannot conduct transactions outside of their headquarters.
  7. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    Cool, thanks a lot guys!

  8. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    Also GRIZ,

    How did the NICS check work in the store? Don't most guys have to wait a considerable amount of time for the check to be done.

  9. JDNJ1985

    JDNJ1985 Well-Known Member

    Also, if I decide to order through mail, will CMP ship directly to my house? (considering I'm in NJ)

    Maybe this was mentioned already but I just want to be clear.


  10. everallm

    everallm Well-Known Member

    Typical NICS check is approx 15 minutes but depending on system availability can take longer, bit of a crap shoot.

    CMP cannot ship to you directly, it HAS to go through an FFL and a NICS in NJ.


    Unless you have a C&R and the long arm is a recognized C&R
  11. GRIZ22

    GRIZ22 Well-Known Member

    How did the NICS check work in the store? Don't most guys have to wait a considerable amount of time for the check to be done.

    I already had a CMP customer number, showed picture ID to show it was me, they looked me up in the computer and the NICS was done before I filled the paperwork out.
  12. GRIZ22

    GRIZ22 Well-Known Member

    CMP cannot ship to you directly, it HAS to go through an FFL and a NICS in NJ.

    This is not so. CMP can ship directly to you. They operate under diffrent rules. CMP does the NICS before it ships.

    A C&R license is worthless in NJ. All C&R firearms have to go through a NJ State licensed FFL. A C&R cannot receive guns directly in NJ.
  13. rscalzo

    rscalzo Well-Known Member

    Yes, but not a M-1 Carbine unfortunately. Garands are ok. Your choice is paying Ohio sales tax or shipping charges back to NJ. Probably a wash.

    Be sure to pick up a load of HXP ammo and you can save a few dollars on the combined shipping costs. Years back as a kid I shot DCM Garands up at cherry ridge. Fortunatly the club is still active and a great place to try them out..
  14. Guns and more

    Guns and more member

    My last NCIS check took about two minutes. The waiting period began when I purchased the gun, which was online, so before it got to the FFL, the three days was over. I signed the papers, filled out the form, they called and I was out the door.
    Also in FL. there is no waiting period if you have a ccw permit.
    I also believe there is no waiting period on long guns, but when I bought a shotgun, they had me wait. Who knows.
  15. geekWithA.45

    geekWithA.45 Moderator Emeritus

    Long story short:

    NJ residents can legally purchase NJ legal longarms out of state from an FFL. The FFL will comply with 3 sets of laws: Federal, NJs, and the state in which the transaction takes place.
  16. DKSuddeth

    DKSuddeth Well-Known Member


    why is that crap so confusing? do all those restrictions of licensee and non licensee apply because NJ is jacked?

    Do I, as a TX resident, have to have a rifle I purchase from OK shipped to an FFL?
  17. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    Not if purchased from an OK FFL. If purchased from an OK private party, then the answer is yes.
  18. toivo

    toivo Well-Known Member

    I'm a New York resident, and I purchased a rifle from a gun shop in Massachusetts. They just NICS checked me, took my money, and I was on my way. If it works between NY and MA (two of the most restrictive states in the Union), I'd guess it works between TX and OK.

Share This Page