1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Non-resident question

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Ingsoc75, Nov 30, 2009.

  1. Ingsoc75

    Ingsoc75 Well-Known Member

    I'm a Missouri resident who is doing a 6 month contract job down in Alabama.

    Can I purchase a rifle through an online store and use a local FFL dealer (in Alabama) to get it?
  2. dogtown tom

    dogtown tom Well-Known Member

    Federal law allows non resident purchases of long guns- as long as both states do not prohibit such sale.

    As a non resident, you may only purchase a long gun from an FFL, you cannot purchase handguns and you cannot purchase any firearm from someone who is not a licensed dealer.
  3. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

    Six months might be well enough to set up residency. Depends on Alabama though.
    Certainly a bit of a headache just to buy a gun or two.
  4. Ingsoc75

    Ingsoc75 Well-Known Member

    I called a local FFL dealer up and they said it can be done.
  5. HKrazy

    HKrazy Well-Known Member

    Yes, it is legal for both handguns and rifles. Here is the applicable law. See example #2:




    Subpart B_Definitions

    Sec. 478.11 Meaning of terms.

    State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An
    individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with
    the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on
    active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of
    residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is
    located. An alien who is legally in the United States shall be
    considered to be a resident of a State only if the alien is residing in
    the State and has resided in the State for a period of at least 90 days
    prior to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm. The following are
    examples that illustrate this definition:

    Example 1. A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a
    hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a
    resident of State Y by reason of such trip.

    Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and maintains a home in State X and a
    home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer
    months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months
    of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a
    resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in
    State Y, A is a resident of State Y.

    Example 3. A, an alien, travels on vacation or on a business trip to
    State X. Regardless of the length of time A spends in State X, A does
    not have a State of residence in State X. This is because A does not
    have a home in State X at which he has resided for at least 90 days.
  6. NavyLCDR

    NavyLCDR member

    HOWEVER, be aware that in the case of handguns, you will have to provide proof of in-state residency to the FFL, which would require a Driver's License, state ID card, or military ID card + orders to that state.
  7. HKrazy

    HKrazy Well-Known Member

    Yes, that applies to rifles as well as handguns if you are buying them as a resident of that state. I have also been asked for utility bills to prove current residency.

Share This Page