1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay, I give up - help with the Garand

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by BoySetsTheFire, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. BoySetsTheFire

    BoySetsTheFire New Member

    Well, just one more question. The M1 Garand from CMP came with a clip, a book and some pamphlets. But it also came with a yellow plastic piece that is a "T" form with an 1/8" diameter rod about 4" long. I haven't been able to figure out what that thing is. I suppose it goes into the receiver to do some task - but what?
  2. 3 gun

    3 gun New Member

    I believe what you have is a chamber flag. You use it to show the gun is unloaded when leaving the firing line at matches. The long "rod" goes into the barrel then the bolt is lowered to hold it in the chamber.
  3. ocabj

    ocabj New Member

    The actual term used is "Open Bolt Indicator" or OBI.

    Required during all CMP and NRA matches.

    Quite a few ranges require them for unattended firearms on the firing line.

    I use them out of habit even at my club's range even though it's not required.
  4. BoySetsTheFire

    BoySetsTheFire New Member

Share This Page