1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Primer Explosion

Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by carlo1776, Mar 4, 2013.

  1. carlo1776

    carlo1776 Well-Known Member

    So the next door neighbor comes over and holds up the tip of his thumb and first 2 fingers. Seems that as he picked up a Large Rifle Primer from his bench, it went off charring the skin, embedding the anvil in his thumb and ricocheting the cap off his eye brow. Good thing he was wearing safety glasses. I've reloaded thousands of rounds and not had one go off, I've dropped them, stepped on them, crunched them in sideways and not one went bang. Static Electricity? Anyhow, re-enforcement to wear safety glasses always.
  2. BP Hunter

    BP Hunter Well-Known Member

    SOunds like a freak accident.

    What a waste of a single primer.:D They are so difficult to find nowadays. Whenever I drop one of them wheil reloading, I get on my knees and sometimes belly just to find that single precious primer.

    I'm glad nobody got hurt. Just imagine how a small thing like that hruting you eye...ouch!
  3. ljnowell

    ljnowell Well-Known Member

    I would be so mad if that happened to me, I hate to waste primers. lol.

    Well, looks like someone above beat me to it!

    Anyway, I have heard of that happening with static electricity, but always thought it unlikely. I never touch a primer with my fingers though, so I hope I dont have to worry about it. I like to keep needle nose pliers on my bench, just in case i need to individually manipulate a primer. I know, overkill, but it helps me sleep at night knowing that my primers will go bang when I need them to.
  4. BullfrogKen

    BullfrogKen Moderator Emeritus

    Wow. I haven't heard of that happening before.
  5. ArchAngelCD

    ArchAngelCD Well-Known Member

    Neither have I... I truly thought the only way to ignite a primer was to strike in sharply on the opposite side of the anvil. Is this 100% verified???
  6. rcmodel

    rcmodel Member in memoriam

    Nor have I in 50 years of playing with primers, studying all things reloading I could lay hands on, and most all things ammo related.

    Methinks there might be More to this Story then what the neighbor told you! :scrutiny:

  7. Crashbox

    Crashbox Well-Known Member

    Static discharge??
  8. ArchAngelCD

    ArchAngelCD Well-Known Member

    With Black Powder yes, not supposed to happen with smokeless powder and modern primers.
  9. luvit

    luvit Well-Known Member

    if it's possible, it will eventually happen to me.
    thanks for the heads-up.
  10. david_r

    david_r Well-Known Member

    Sounds like he should have been wearing a sweat band. :D Is this considered an ND?
  11. buck460XVR

    buck460XVR Well-Known Member

    Sounds a lot like me, LOL......:D

    I hate it when I hafta break open a new box of bullets/primers to finish the 50 rounds in the loading block cause I'm one short.
  12. egg250

    egg250 Well-Known Member

    It went off as he picked it up? I'm not convinced. Static electricity...maybe. Bad enough to do that kind of damage? I'd think to build up that kind of pressure the primer would have to be somewhat containerized.
  13. Otto

    Otto Well-Known Member

    That happened to a guy over at calguns. He simply touched the primer tube to the press and boom. The best explanation was a static discharge from his body through the primer tube to the press. It blew the tube apart but he was ok.
  14. Yarddog

    Yarddog Well-Known Member

    rc is right,, Got to be more to story. The only primers I ever had go off was with a wack a mole Lee Loader ; )
  15. nojoke

    nojoke Well-Known Member

  16. Otto

    Otto Well-Known Member

    Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. The photos made the thread alot more convincing...too bad Photobucket removed them.
  17. witchhunter

    witchhunter Well-Known Member

    Don't use the vacuum cleaner to pick up live ones......
  18. Safetychain

    Safetychain Well-Known Member

    This is definitely static electricity. The static charge buildup typically can be well over a thousand volts. It will ignite powder which will burn if not confined and burn quickly if confined. the primer compound will not burn, it explodes and no confined space is required to throw the anvil one way and the cup the other. This typically doesn't happen because the electric arc has to actually hit the primer compound itself and not the cup or anvil. However, as we all know, lightning (a very large static discharge) most often hits the highest object, but not always. Read the fine print on the package of primers and wear protective glasses.
  19. 45lcshooter

    45lcshooter Well-Known Member

    Sounds like an accident to me. I've dropped them on the concrete floor, bounced off the bench, nine went off. Had some old ones that I took a hammer to on new years eve, bad idea. Shards everywhere and all cut up.
  20. kingmt

    kingmt Well-Known Member

    I've zapped them with a fence charger for about an hour & they didn't go off. I can't buy it.

Share This Page