1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

putting a forearm on SBR

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by emailforforum84, Dec 22, 2012.

  1. I have been advised that putting a front grip or vertical forearm on a SBR is not legal.
    I was told that I would then have to apply for a $5 AOW Stamp.

    is this an accurate statement?
  2. Sam Cade

    Sam Cade Member

    No. SBRs can have any sort of forearm you wish.

    No. Whoever told you this stuff is a moron.

    Making an AOW is $200. Transferring an AOW is $5. AOW and SBR are mutually exclusive.
  3. taliv

    taliv Moderator

    they probably meant putting a VFG on a pistol makes it an AOW
  4. yeah I know about the pistol. Well I know that about it.

    I do not know what form or process to go about for the AOW to put a Vertical forearm on my pistol AR. (Is it the same type of paperwork as suppressor's and SBR's?) do you need LEO signature and fingerprint cards, etc.?

    AND.... Do I get to skip all that BS by using my trust?
  5. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Well-Known Member

    The paperwork for making an AOW is the same as for making any other Title II firearm: you fill out the Form 1. If you use a trust, you don't have to submit fingerprint cards or photographs, or get a CLEO signoff.

    If it's an AR15 pistol, spending $200 on a tax stamp for an AOW status is kind of a waste of money. All you can do is put a forward grip on it, but you can't put a stock on. For the same $200 tax stamp, you can register it as a SBR, and then you can put a stock AND a forward grip on it.

    The making tax for any Title II firearm is $200. The transfer tax for an AOW is $5, while all other Title II firearms transfer with a $200 tax.

  6. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    The 'forearm' is usually considered the handguard...such as on an AR or the most forward part of the stock as on a Garand. The "vertical" part of it is usually considered a separate "grip". As AB pointed out, you will have to do a Form 1 to "make" the AOW. That incurs a $200 tax stamp requirement. The rest of the process is the same "BS" and you can avoid the requirement for CLEO sign-off and fingerprint cards by using your trust.

    As AB also pointed out, the requirements are the same for a SBR as for the AOW, so it appears that the SBR would make more sense...except for two things. If you live in one of the occupied states where SBRs are not legal, the AOW might be your best/only choice. The other reason you might want the AOW is that it incurs only a $5 stamp when you sell it to someone. The wait will be the same, but it might help get rid of it when/if the time comes.
  7. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Well-Known Member

    True, except... is there a market for registered "AOW" AR15s with vertical grips? I sure wouldn't buy one, even if the tax stamp was only $5.


  8. So to get the initial legal approval to put a vertical forearm on a AR pistol requires a $200 stamp?

    I was under the impression it was only $5.

    Its DEFINITELY not worth it for $200.
  9. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    Yes, because you are "Making" a Title II regulated firearm (an Any Other Weapon). That requires an ATF Form 5320.1 ("Form 1") which is to MAKE and register a firearm.

    That always comes with a $200 fee.

    AOWs do, however, transfer with only a $5 fee. So once you make one you can sell it to someone else and the transfer will only cost them $5...plus the 6-8 month wait, background check, law enforcement sign-off, etc.

    Yeah...really, really not worth it.

    Just register it as an SBR and do whatever you like with it.
  10. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    I would suspect ONLY in states where SBRs are not legal. But I thought I said that. You also never know what someone is going to like that others wouldn't touch.

    Merry Christmas, all!
  11. rjrivero

    rjrivero Well-Known Member

    The "Firearm" Caveat:

    If the AR pistol has an overall length of 26" or more, you may put a vertical foregrip on it without making an NFA firearm.

    An AOW is considered concealable if it is less than 26" overall length. So if you have an AR pistol that is longer than 26" you can put a vertical foregrip on it and be good to go.


Share This Page