1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for northern VA residents: relocation and new laws

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by sernv99, Sep 3, 2008.

  1. sernv99

    sernv99 Well-Known Member

    I'm in Fairfax, VA and plan to move to either another county within VA or remain in the same county, just move to another town. I have my VA CCW permit. Do I have to do the whole application process over when I change addresses or will the powers that be issue me a new card, just with a different address?

    also, are there different gun restrictions within the northern VA counties? I'm in Fairfax and looking into moving to Loudon County or Prince William County.

  2. Gentleman Ranker

    Gentleman Ranker Well-Known Member

    You may apply for and receive a new CHL by applying on a separate form, with a much-reduced fee, and get one bearing your new address. You get this change-of-address permit from the court that issued the original permit. I do not believe that this is required, but it is certainly not a bad idea.

    As to local restrictions, Virginia has a state preemption law, which means that for the most part, localities cannot have laws that are at variance with, or in addition to, state law. Some few of these are still on the books, however, so it is good to know the preemption law.

    VaGunInfo is a good place to start. I believe they have a nice page on the preemption law. Here is a link to the CHL page for the Fairfax County Circuit Court, with appropriate forms.

    Double-check what I tell you, though.


    Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. JohnBT

    JohnBT Well-Known Member

    This is all the State Police site says:

    "Change of Address

    The clerk of a circuit court that issued a valid concealed handgun permit shall, upon presentation of the valid permit and proof of a new address of residence by the permit holder, issue a replacement permit specifying the permit holder's new address. The total amount assessed for processing a replacement permit due to a change of address shall not exceed $10, with such fees to be paid in one sum to the person who accepts the information for the replacement permit."
  4. Threecard

    Threecard Active Member

    Go to the courthouse in Fairfax city. The ladies there are very nice and I'm sure will take care of you.

    One nice thing you may find: I'm told that Loudoun (can't speak for Prince William) will notify you shortly before your CCW expires, essentially giving you a heads up ahead of time. Fairfax County doesn't do so.
  5. ZeSpectre

    ZeSpectre Well-Known Member

    Yup, that's how it works.
  6. tinygnat219

    tinygnat219 Well-Known Member

    Quick and simple. Kind of wierd considering VA.
  7. MikeD999999

    MikeD999999 Member

    "One nice thing you may find: I'm told that Loudoun (can't speak for Prince William) will notify you shortly before your CCW expires, essentially giving you a heads up ahead of time."

    My wife and I live in Loudoun county and haven't been notified. We've had a CHP since the first month they were legal. I'm thinking this isn't the case but am not absolutely sure.

    Mike D.

    OAKVILLE SHOOTER Well-Known Member

    Don't forget to change your address with the DMV as well. I would try to get your CCW changed pretty close to the same time so that the addresses match. I don't know if they have to or not. Better safe than sorry.

    Oakville Shooter
  9. jagugator

    jagugator Well-Known Member

    This is right from the Virginia State Police's website under Firearms/Concealed Handguns at the bottom of the FAQ's section.

    Hope it helps.
  10. freebird60

    freebird60 Active Member

    When I got my address changed a few months ago the clerk took my old permit, used the new address on my drivers license, AND gave me a NEW expiration date!(Old one was good for two more years)
  11. MAKster

    MAKster Well-Known Member

    What do you do if your new address is outside of the circuit court district where you got your permit. Say you move from Fairfax County to Virginia Beach. Do you still ask Fairfax for the new card?

Share This Page