1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on trading to a FFL

Discussion in 'Legal' started by halvey, Nov 16, 2004.

  1. halvey

    halvey Well-Known Member

    I know I can't buy a pistol from an outstate FFL, unless they transfer it to an instate FFL. I know I can buy long guns from an outstate FFL

    But, can I trade my pistol to an outstate FFL and get long guns in return?

    I couldn't find anything solid on this.
  2. EOD Guy

    EOD Guy Well-Known Member

    Yes, you may transfer a handgun to an FFL in any state. If the state laws of both your state of residence and the state of purchase allow it, you may then have a rifle or shotgun transferred to you by that FFL. Think of it as two separate transactions and the regulation will be more clear.
  3. halvey

    halvey Well-Known Member

    Ok, just to clarify:

    I am in Minnesota. I will take my pistol to a gunshop in Wisconsin. Can they take it on trade?
  4. EOD Guy

    EOD Guy Well-Known Member

    Yes, unless there is some Wisconsin law that doesn't allow the transfer.

Share This Page