1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by briney11, Nov 1, 2008.

  1. briney11

    briney11 New Member

    Jul 29, 2006
    The Hawkeye State-IOWA
    What is the process if I were to sell a firearm and/or ammo to someone in another state as far as the shipping goes????
  2. kingpin008

    kingpin008 Mentor

    Jun 6, 2006
    Howard County, Merry Land
    Well, it depends on what type of firearm. There are different laws governing handguns and long guns.

    Generally, you're going to have to send from a dealer to a dealer. In that case, you get a copy of the recieving FFL's license, and go to your dealer, pay the fee that they charge (some will charge more than others, you'll have to shop around for the best price) and leave the gun with them. The dealer will pack it up and mail it off.

    Or, if the recieving dealer is willing to accept shipments from non-FFL holders, you can ship the gun yourself, either through UPS or FED-EX. Long guns can be shipped through USPS, but only long guns. Going this route will generally cost you considerably more than letting a FFL ship for you. You also have to ship from a hub location if you're using UPS or FED-EX. Be prepared to tell the counter-jockey their jobs, too. Many don't know the regulations regarding shipping guns and having print-outs of the company regs is a good idea.

    As for the ammo - I'm not 100% certain, but if I remember correctly as long as you have it properly marked with the ORM-D markings, you can ship it out by UPS or FED-EX without issue.

Share This Page