1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ruger BlackHawk Help!

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by ExAgoradzo, Feb 26, 2011.

  1. ExAgoradzo

    ExAgoradzo Well-Known Member

    I dropped by Blackhawk. My favorite gun! My trigger guard broke and I bent my front sight.

    Oh, someone PLEASE help! Where can I buy a new triggerguard/handleframe?

    1970-71 Ruger .357 Old Style Blackhawk.

    Yours in tears!
  2. Old Fuff

    Old Fuff Well-Known Member

    Call Ruger's Customer Service Department. They should have replacement parts. Since you dropped the gun you'll have to pay because it isn't a warrantee repair. However your favorite can be fixed. ;)
  3. winchester1886

    winchester1886 Well-Known Member

    Box it up and send it to Ruger.
  4. ExAgoradzo

    ExAgoradzo Well-Known Member

    This is true even though it is a 40 year old gun?

    I just checked and I'll have to call them on Monday.
  5. DuncanSA

    DuncanSA Well-Known Member

    Careful here - I understand that Ruger policy is to modify all older models
    sent in for repair by fitting transfer bars. You may not be too happy with this when you get it back.

    MADDOG Well-Known Member

  7. BlkHawk73

    BlkHawk73 Well-Known Member

    Yup, as it's an OM, it WILL get the transfer bar conversion if you send it in. Also not a guarantee they have OM parts either so even if they don't and it's sent in, you'll still get the conversion.
    That said, being an OM, the grip frame isn't a super common find but they're out there but will cost you. Do a WTB on RugerForum.com and you'll probably find something.
  8. gdesloge

    gdesloge Well-Known Member

    Ruger service is outstanding, and they should return all removed/replaced parts with the revolver, so that you can return it to its OM status, should you choose.

  9. Rodman579

    Rodman579 Well-Known Member

    dont send it to Ruger unless you want it converted. otherwise take it to a good gunsmith and have it repaired.
  10. 451 Detonics

    451 Detonics Well-Known Member

    Brownells, Power Custom, Midway...be aware they all will require fitting most likely. You can also find them on gunbroker occasionally.

    You might consider this to be a chance to fancy it up as well.
  11. bayhawk2

    bayhawk2 Well-Known Member

    These are really nice pistols.I have the "New Blackhawk".I would think you
    can order parts for it from Ruger.I'd find a "reputable gunsmith" however to
    fix that front sight.Hard to say if your sight is like mine,but I "cannot" tell how
    mine is connected to the barrel.That's not a good sign if you go to
    trying to bend it back into place yourself.
  12. CraigC

    CraigC Well-Known Member

    Ruger WILL DEFINITELY convert it to the crappy transfer bar mechanism and there is NO guarantee that they will return the original parts. I HIGHLY recommend you maintain the original lockwork. The New Model lockwork is heavy, creepy and usually gritty. The conversion lockwork is much worse. You have two options. Remove the parts that Ruger will replace and send it to Ruger. This will be the cheapest route. They will probably completely refurbish the sixgun and do so for relatively cheap. Or, you could find a replacement grip frame, they are plentiful. Put up a "Want to Buy" ad on RugerForum or get a replacement from Brownells. Replace it yourself. The front sight will require some help from a gunsmith who can either remove and replace the whole thing (which will require refinishing) or cut off the blade, mill a pocket in the base and fit it with a pinned blade.

    You cannot order parts for an unconverted Old Model direct from Ruger.
  13. awgrizzly

    awgrizzly Well-Known Member

    If you send it to Ruger you may get the equivalent of a new gun back and only be charged for the broken parts. They will do the conversion but should sent the old parts back. It'll be a better gun and with the old parts won't suffer greatly in value. Ruger won't send the gun back unless it is in tip top condition. They are good.
  14. gdesloge

    gdesloge Well-Known Member

  15. CraigC

    CraigC Well-Known Member

    There have been plenty of reports that Ruger has NOT returned the old parts. It is their prerogative and I guarantee you if they have any inkling that the parts are worn or unsafe in any way, they will scrap them. We're not making this stuff up. :rolleyes:
  16. gdesloge

    gdesloge Well-Known Member

    Thanks, Craig.
  17. Sistema1927

    Sistema1927 Well-Known Member

    If you don't want to take a chance that any "worn or unsafe" parts are not returned to you, buy a replacement grip frame on your own dime.

    If you want Ruger to fix it, they may or may not return your old parts, but they will probably do it on their dime.
  18. 1911 Nut

    1911 Nut Member

    You dropped a Ruger Blackhawk and broke the trigger guard? Where did you drop it from . . . . the top of the Sears Tower??!!
  19. ExAgoradzo

    ExAgoradzo Well-Known Member

    I keep my stuff in the attic over the garage and dropped it onto the concrete below.

    Very traumatic...

    I'm having a friend look at it Tues and I'm going to try to buy one off the Ruger forum, I'm sufficiently scared now to send it to Ruger and get a transfer bar.

    I can't tell you guys how thankful I am for your help.


Share This Page