1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SBR engraving....where to?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Carbon_15, Jan 18, 2013.

  1. Carbon_15

    Carbon_15 Well-Known Member

    Im near Columbia SC and wondering where to get my SBR engraved. I would really rather not walk into Things Remembered with a "bushmaster assault rifle" lol
    Anyone know of a place around here that does laser engraving and is farmiliar with firearms?
  2. kimbershot

    kimbershot Well-Known Member

    i couldn't tell you for sure but a google shows


    you can always break gun down and just bring in lower receiver or just the barrel (or barrels?) and perhaps call some local engravers.

    you want to have engraving done in your presence. good luck.
  3. Charger442

    Charger442 Well-Known Member

    unless that's just personal preference, there are no legal issues with that... as long as its not a COMPLETE Class III firearm.
  4. kimberkid

    kimberkid Well-Known Member

    I just take my stuff to a local trophy & awards shop ... It's not laser but it looks nice and they do a great job and will do it while I wait.
  5. Mot45acp

    Mot45acp Well-Known Member

    +1 for local engraving shop.
  6. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Well-Known Member

    This is incorrect information. Actually, whether it's a Title II firearm or Title I firearm isn't the important distinction on whether you can leave the firearm with the engraver.

    Engraving is gunsmithing according to the ATF, and requires that the engraver be an FFL.


    If they do it while you wait, they don't have to enter it into their bound book. They don't have to make you fill out a 4473 to return it, either, even if you leave it with them.

    Interestingly, they can repair NFA firearms as well without having an SOT, it appears. And the ATF "suggests" that you fill out a Form 5 for the transfer, but doesn't require the entire form filled out--just the face of it. Strange.

    I don't know if there's a gray area where a non-FFL engraver can engrave your firearm as long as you are present, but that doesn't seem to an exception in the ATF's eyes.

    If you want to use someplace local rather than one of the well-known places like Orion Arms, which you'd have to mail your receiver to, then I'd start asking local gunshops if they know any gunsmiths that do engraving.

    Or do it yourself.

  7. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

    You're gonna have a tough time getting a laser engraver to go to legal depth. You'll need a CNC or pantograph, or something of the sort. Check out the NFA handbook for requirements, in the manufacturing section.
  8. Gato Montés

    Gato Montés Well-Known Member

    I tried going the local route, but when nothing really turned up I ended up using Orion Arms to do my shotgun. I don't know what a reasonable price is for this kind of work (they charged me $50 w/o shipping), but I think it's probably better to pay a little more and have someone who knows what they're doing do the work rather than farm it out to some jewelry engraver and hope for the best.
  9. rjrivero

    rjrivero Well-Known Member

    Laser Engraving

    Customized Creationz does ATF legal Laser engraving in Michigan.

  10. fshnfvr

    fshnfvr Member

    I have used Orion for all of my engravings and they have been great. Three guns so far with zero issues. And in the passed they have always beat their advertised turn around time.
  11. kbbailey

    kbbailey Well-Known Member

    I have a friend that does laser engraving. I am going to have him do some gun-work for me. I will see how well he does, and ask if he wants more work.

Share This Page