1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SBR for 20 year old in MD?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by EMS_92, Sep 26, 2012.

  1. EMS_92

    EMS_92 Well-Known Member

    I just turned 20 and wanted to make my 9mm AR into an unsuppressed SBR and i just wanna know, is this possible in Maryland?
  2. IslandTimes

    IslandTimes Active Member

    Nope, have to be 21 for an SBR anywhere.
  3. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    Actually...you have to be 21 to BUY (Form 4) a SBR. The jury is still out on the issue of "making" (Form 1) the same thing. I have asked the ATF on a couple of ocassions and all I know for certain is that they would rather you NOT make one. You could go to the trouble of submitting the Form 1 and see what happens. Worst case, you wait another year.

    Block 10d on the Form 1 asks whether you are "under 21 years of age". But nowhere on the form or in the regulations does it say that someone under 21 cannot make the SBR. If anyone has anything written from the ATF that contradicts this, I would appreciate seeing it as the question comes up every now and again.

    The People's Democratic Republik of Maryland may have additional restrictions, but I moved away years ago and have no idea what is current for the occupied territories.
  4. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Well-Known Member

    If you can afford it, pay the $200 tax stamp and find out. If they reject your application, you will get your $200 back.

    The irony is that with 6+ month wait times, you'll nearly be 21 by the time it gets approved anyway.

  5. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    Aaron makes a very valid point about the wait time. (Wish it wasn't so valid.)
  6. dprice3844444

    dprice3844444 member

    just call nfa branch
  7. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

    Calling is useless. Nothing they say is good for anything. If its not in writing, it doesn't exist
  8. TurtlePhish

    TurtlePhish Well-Known Member

    You can Form 1 any NFA item at age 18, there's a few posts on arfcom and elsewhere from people who have. Google "nfa 18 years old" or something along those lines and see the results. It's perfectly legal. You can also Form 4 from a private party in-state. The only thing you have to be 21 to do is buy NFA items from a Class 2 dealer.
  9. Aaron Baker

    Aaron Baker Well-Known Member

    Well there you go. Looks like TurtlePhish has the answer, and I believe he's correct. Calling them won't help, either. If they'd rather you didn't do it, they'll probably give you the wrong answer.

    Again, scrape together the $200, submit it and maybe you can share a drink with your tax stamp on your 21st birthday. ;)

    This is also assuming that your local chief law enforcement officer will sign off. If he won't, you may have to scrape together some additional cash to a local attorney for a properly drafted trust as well.

  10. Brockak47

    Brockak47 Well-Known Member

    Yes, fill out a form 1. Check the box that says under 21. Assuming you can have SBR in your state. If your CLEO won't sign off, don't know why they wouldn't just form an LLC it's simple and the whole process should take about 30 minutes.

    You have to be 21 for a form 3 transfer, and 18 for form 1 & 4 (instate private party transfer). I believe that sums up your question, but don't take my answer for 100% fact double check it as I am only 99.9% sure it's all said right
  11. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Well-Known Member

    What jury?

    Plenty of Form 1's get filed by 18 year olds.

    Please stop spreading misinformation.
  12. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Well-Known Member

    Age is irrelevant on Form 3 transfers as it is only FFL/SOT to FFL/SOT at that stage.
  13. EMS_92

    EMS_92 Well-Known Member

    Any links where I can download this Form 1?
  14. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

  15. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    Not my intention to "spread misinformation". The question has been raised before and I have personally contacted the ATF about it. I could not get a straight answer (surprise). I don't personally know anyone under the age of 21 who has had a Form 1 approved. If you do, I will accept that as proof that they can do it. But please refrain from accusing me of something I work very hard to avoid.
  16. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member



    You can fill it out online and print it from there. Just be aware that you have to print it as a two-sided form...or print one-sided and find a photocopier that will convert it. If you send it in as two sheets, it will be rejected.
  17. EMS_92

    EMS_92 Well-Known Member

    After giving it some thought I concluded this SBR thing isnt in my best interest at this time. Thanks for all the replies. :)
  18. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Well-Known Member

    There are plenty of 18 year old Form 1 builds out there if you do the research.

    ATF has issued guidance on that very subject in an opinion letter, but if I were to post my opinion letter it would not be useful.
  19. MasterSergeantA

    MasterSergeantA Well-Known Member

    Not sure how I would research that exactly, but perhaps I will pursue it sometime.

    Congratulations on getting a better response from ATF than was my experience.
  20. Ranb

    Ranb Well-Known Member

    Here is how you do it. Just read the law yourself, don't bother with the ATF.



    A person has to be at least 18 to make or possess a firearm of any type in the USA. Licensed dealers are not allowed to sell a gun to anyone under 21 unless it is a rifle or a shotgun.


Share This Page