1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SBR Legallities

Discussion in 'Legal' started by cidirkona, May 19, 2005.

  1. cidirkona

    cidirkona Well-Known Member

    I've seen plenty of AR pistols and plenty of AR rifles. People sell 'short' AR uppers on gunbroker and such places for decently cheap, but what are the laws on these? If I were to purchace one, would I have to convert a rifle AR into a pistol AR by removing the buttstock, or is a rifle AR always a rifle AR?

    Can I have an AR turned into a SBR by paying a tax stamp, or do I have to buy something like that from a class III dealer?

    I don't plan on doing anything illegal but don't know much about it -- that's why I'm trying to be sure that I don't even get any illegal ideas (ie please don't jump down my throat!)

  2. TechBrute

    TechBrute Well-Known Member

    The short version:

    Submit Form1 and $200 to ATF.
    After 6 month wait (average), recieve approval.
    Purchase upper and put on gun.

    Each step can be expanded on quite a bit, but that's the basics. Each Form1 only applies to a single lower, so you should already have the lower and SN before starting the process.

    There are countless threads to help you out on ARFCOM.
  3. cidirkona

    cidirkona Well-Known Member

    Here's another dumb question...

    ARCOM = ar15.com?
  4. TechBrute

    TechBrute Well-Known Member

  5. cidirkona

    cidirkona Well-Known Member

    What about turning a rifle AR into a pistol AR? Could I put a short barrelled upper on a lower if I removed the buttstock, making it a pistol?

  6. TechBrute

    TechBrute Well-Known Member

    Nope. Once it's had a stock on it, it can't be made into a pistol. IIRC, it must be registered as a pistol when purchased.

    I'm not sure on this, but I don't think that you need to do the Form1 for an AR pistol.
  7. Hkmp5sd

    Hkmp5sd Well-Known Member

    You can buy a virgin receiver and put a short-barreled upper on it to make a pistol without NFA registration.
  8. jefnvk

    jefnvk Well-Known Member

    If it's transferred from the FFL as a pistol.
  9. cidirkona

    cidirkona Well-Known Member

    oops, delete
  10. cidirkona

    cidirkona Well-Known Member

    Hmm... I think I'll just start some Form 1s then...

    Thanks for all the help guys!
  11. TheOtherOne

    TheOtherOne Well-Known Member

    Yep. Once a rifle, always a rifle. However, you can turn a pistol into a rifle. According the BATFE anyways.

    Also, while it really shouldn't matter what it's registered as on the yellow form when you purchase it, it's a good idea that they call it either a "pistol" or "receiver" if you plan to make it a pistol. Just CYA more than anything.
  12. MudPuppy

    MudPuppy Well-Known Member

    That's not quite right, is it? I mean, you can purchase a pistol that also has additional parts (16+ barrel and stock) to make it a rifle, then remove both to make it back into a pistol. As long as you don't have the short barrel and stock on at same time, it is legal? (Or is that flat out incorrect?)
  13. TheOtherOne

    TheOtherOne Well-Known Member

    Yeah, you are right. A pistol can be made into a rifle and then back into a pistol again so "Once a rifle, always a rifle" isn't quite right. "If it starts life as a rifle, it's always a rifle" would be more correct.

Share This Page