1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secondary CC Permit

Discussion in 'Legal' started by nc76, Apr 26, 2008.

  1. nc76

    nc76 Well-Known Member

    Does anybody know of any advantages to obtaining a non-resident CC permit if you have one in your home state already. I have a NC permit, but was looking into a NH as well since it is easy and cheap to obtain. NC is reciprocal with a few more states than NH and all inclusive of the ones NH is. The one reason I thought it would be good is if I lost my NC permit somehow (misplaced wallet, etc). If I kept the NH in the safe at home I would have that as a "temporary" while I was applying for a replacement in NC.

    I would be interested in any opinion for or against pursuing this?
  2. Art Eatman

    Art Eatman Administrator Staff Member

    Might save some hassle. I don't know about NC, but Texas cops have full access to records, quite rapidly. Since CHL and DL serial numbers interact on the computers, a person who's lost his license as you suggest is readily checked out. In the meantime, just having an NH license is some amount of proof you're among the Good Guys.
  3. revjen45

    revjen45 Well-Known Member

    I have a home state permit for WA and a permit for UT to cover more states. There's no reason not to.
  4. Kharn

    Kharn Well-Known Member

    A Florida permit's probably the best back-up, since it has the highest number of reciprocal states.

  5. nc76

    nc76 Well-Known Member

    In NC it says on the back of my permit "It is unlawful to carry a concealed handgun without this permit and valid ID in your possesion........"

    I migt just get that NH permit for good measure......it is only $20 from what I can tell all you have to do is fill out form and so proof of your home state permit.

    How much does a FL non-resident permit cost?
  6. rxraptor02

    rxraptor02 Well-Known Member

    Nothing wrong with getting a second permit. It might give you more coverage in states that your home state does not.

    I would be careful using a non-resident permit in your home state. Your state may not allow it.

    Check with your state agencie about it before you attempt to do so.
  7. Gerald in Ga

    Gerald in Ga Well-Known Member

    For a non resident Florida license call 1-850-488-5381
  8. Jdude

    Jdude Well-Known Member

    Gerald, what is involved in getting one of those? Does one need to be physically present for pick up? Are there any fees? Do you have a website?

    Thanks in advance.
  9. bogie

    bogie Well-Known Member

    A secondary one? In case the first one breaks?

    As long as you're covered in any states you intend to visit, permits is permits...
  10. tinygnat219

    tinygnat219 Well-Known Member

    I have NH, UT, and VA. I keep the other two at home when I am traveling about in the states the VA recognizes. I figure if I ever lose my wallet, I can use one of the other two in VA and still be covered.
  11. lou

    lou Member

    A few years ago there was much greater advantage to having multiple licenses/permits. Now there is much greater reciprocity and recognition, so one's home state license may cover lots of other states, and some of the extras are redundant. For example. I have PA (home), FL, UT, VA. All are good in VA. but FL and UT are good in DE whereas my PA resident license is not.
  12. TexasRifleman

    TexasRifleman Moderator Emeritus

    Well until recently I would have agreed.

    As I found out in December when I sent in my Texas renewal paperwork, due in February, there is a BIT of a delay in issuing renewals.

    My Texas permit expired mid February and I am STILL waiting.

    In the meantime I had this old Florida one that was gonna expire later this year. I was thinking about letting it go but now, no way.

    Always nice to have a backup, and the expiration dates staggered enough that you have coverage in case some crap like is going on here in Texas comes up.
  13. Frog48

    Frog48 Well-Known Member

    I thought that if you want to carry in TX and live in TX, you have to have a TX permit? I didnt think that TX law recognized out of state non-resident permits issued to Texas residents?
  14. TexasRifleman

    TexasRifleman Moderator Emeritus

    Nope. There is no statute or code that addresses that in any fashion, and it's commonly done.

    Certainly a good idea to have a home state permit, but in Texas at least there's nothing that says you can't do it that way.
  15. Frog48

    Frog48 Well-Known Member

    Thats interesting. Good to know, I suppose.
  16. JerryM

    JerryM Well-Known Member

    One word, "Reciprocity."

  17. ammoeater

    ammoeater Active Member

    I try to collect as many as I can. Most states have a fairly nominal fee, so if I can get one, I do.
  18. Gerald in Ga

    Gerald in Ga Well-Known Member

    If you call that number, the Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services will send you a license packet. They can tell you what you need to do better than I could. 850-488-5381
  19. another okie

    another okie Well-Known Member

    1. More states.
    2. Overlap in case of slow renewal.
    3. Florida's is cool to have because it's signed by Charles Bronson.
  20. Cavalier Knight

    Cavalier Knight Well-Known Member

    I have all the permits below which were obtained by mailing in the applications & waiting to receive the permits. You can go to Small Armz under CCW Permits on the menu for each state.

    New Hampshire

Share This Page