1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell to another state?

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by cratz2, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. cratz2

    cratz2 Well-Known Member

    I can't believe this has never come up for me... but can I sell one of my own rifles to a resident of another state face to face? Privately, no FFL?

    I live in Indiana and an Ohio resident has expressed an interest.
  2. wun_8_seven

    wun_8_seven member

    no, go to the atf web page for more info. 187
  3. cratz2

    cratz2 Well-Known Member

    OK... I found the following on the ATF site but my question has to do with meeting at the described 'licensee's premises'... It doesn't say or even insinuate that it needs to go through that FFL. So can I really meet this guy at a gunshop, check out his drivers license, bring two copies of a receipt stating the make, model, SN, the date, the price, his name, my name, and that we exchanged it on the premises of a gunshop?

    (B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only buy a firearm within the person's own state, except that he or she may buy a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any state, provided the sale complies with state laws applicable in the state of sale and the state where the purchaser resides. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  4. Zundfolge

    Zundfolge Well-Known Member

    The L in FFL is for License

    the "licensee" they refer to is someone with an FFL.

    What all that means is if you are visiting another state you can buy a rifle or shotgun from a licensed gun dealer (assuming it is legal for you to buy the same type of firearm in your home state).

    If you want to sell any firearm across state lines you have to go through an FFL in the buyer's state. period.

Share This Page