1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selling ammo.

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Big_Willy, Jan 9, 2006.

  1. Big_Willy

    Big_Willy Active Member

    When selling ammo, do I have to go through some federal hoops or can I just sell to anyone over 18.

    Will USPS or UPS ship ammo?
    what else do I need to know, if anything?


    Big Willy
  2. Preacherman

    Preacherman Well-Known Member

    AFAIK, you need an FFL to routinely engage in selling ammo. For an occasional sale to a buddy, there should be no problem. However, you won't be able to ship it unless you can comply with the freight requirements (type of packaging, etc.) for ORM-D shipments.

    EDITED TO ADD: I wasn't clear in my first post above. If you're manufacturing ammo, you need a license to do so. If you're simply selling ammo, and ammo only (no other guns or related gear), you don't need a license - see http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#a5 for the official word on this. However, you will have to comply with shipping regulations, packaging requirements, etc.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2006
  3. taliv

    taliv Moderator

    some states, like TN, will want their tax money too.

    i'm not sure about needing an FFL to just SELL ammo (like if you own a hardware store or something and want to sell WWB). if you want to manufacture new or reloaded ammo for sale, you for sure need an FFL
  4. rick_reno

    rick_reno member

    Are you manufacturing the ammo? or selling ammo that you bought and have no need for?
  5. Cosmoline

    Cosmoline Well-Known Member

    I'm not aware of any federal laws regulating the production and sale of smokeless powder ammunition. It's not an explosive, and it's not a firearm. Laws do restrict its shipment, however.
  6. EOD Guy

    EOD Guy Well-Known Member

    A FFL is required for importation or manufacture of ammunition, but not for ammunition sales. I'm sure that there are state and local requirements.

    27CFR ยง478.41(a):




    Subpart D_Licenses

    Sec. 478.41 General.

    (a) Each person intending to engage in business as an importer or
    manufacturer of
    firearms or ammunition, or a dealer in firearms shall,
    before commencing such business, obtain the license required by this
    subpart for the business to be operated.
  7. Big_Willy

    Big_Willy Active Member

    Thanks guys

    I have 133 total round, 57 of which are .308 cal. ammo (Federal Premium, Vital Shock 180gr. nosler partition) I picked up last year and I have since sold the gun I owned of that caliber. I also have 47 rounds of federal Premium 150gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips and about 30 older misc type for plinking (store bought).
    Now that said, all I have to figure out is how to ship and package them properly.

    I'll go to USPS and UPS site to see rules and regs on this matter.

    Thanks for the info.
  8. Cosmoline

    Cosmoline Well-Known Member

    That only applies if you are engaging in business as an amunition manufacturer. Otherwise handloading would require an FFL.
  9. EOD Guy

    EOD Guy Well-Known Member

    Here are the rules on shipping ammunition.

    Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Part 173

    173.63 Packaging exceptions

    (b) Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices. (1) Cartridges, small arms and cartridges power devices (which are used to project fastening devices) which have been classed as a Division 1.4S explosive may be reclassed, offered for transportation, and transported as ORM-D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) and F (Placarding) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM-D material is limited to:

    (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol, or shotgun;
    (ii) Ammunition with inert projectiles or blank ammunition;
    (iii) Ammunition having no tear gas, incendiary, or detonating explosive projectiles;
    (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shotshells; and
    (v) Cartridges power devices which are use to project fastening devices.

    (2) Packaging for cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices as ORM-D material must be as follows:
    (i) Ammunition must be packed in inside boxes, or in partitions which fit snugly in the outside packaging, or in metal clips;
    (ii) Primers must be protected from accidental initiation;
    (iii) Inside boxes, partitions or metal clips must be packed in securely-closed strong outside packagings;
    (iv) Maximum gross weight is limited to 30 Kg (66 pounds) per package; and
    (v) Cartridges, power devices which are used to project fastening devices and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packagings.

    Part 172 (Marking)

    172.316 Packagings containing material classed as ORM-D

    (a) Each non-bulk packaging containing a material classed as ORM-D must be marked on at least one side or end with the ORM-D designation immediately following or below the proper shipping name of the material (Cartridges, Small Arms). The ORM designation must be placed within a rectangle that is approximately 6.3 mm (0.25 inches) larger on each side than the designation.

    (b) The marking ORM-D is the certification by the person offering the packaging for transportation that the material is properly described, classed, packaged, marked and labeled (when appropriate) and in proper condition for transportation according to the applicable regulations of this subchapter.

Share This Page