1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sending handgun to manufacturer for repair... outside US

Discussion in 'Legal' started by raubvogel, Nov 25, 2014.

  1. raubvogel

    raubvogel Well-Known Member

    One of my handguns might need to have some parts replaced. Manufacturer said to replace it I have to send it back to them so they can fit and proof it again.

    Thing is manufacturer is in Europe.

    I have a feeling I should not even bother; just the idea of having it exported and then imported and all of its implications do not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling... :(
  2. rcmodel

    rcmodel Member in memoriam

    Where are you, and where are they?

    And what is it?

    My Crystal Ball is in the shop this week for a wax & buff job!

  3. raubvogel

    raubvogel Well-Known Member

    I am in NC

    They are in France

    And it is a revolver
  4. rcmodel

    rcmodel Member in memoriam

    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  5. raubvogel

    raubvogel Well-Known Member

    Kindly explain why the make, type, and country in Europe of manufacture are relevant to my original question
  6. Midwest

    Midwest Well-Known Member

    Maybe some European countries are more stricter on what can be imported into the country even for servicing. Maybe some other person on this forum went through the same process with same gun or to the same country.

    ATF Form 9 is needed for exporting out of the U.S. and ATF Form 6 is needed for importing into the U.S. Not sure, but ITAR might come into play as well. There might be provisions in the regulations that allow for import and export without excessive fees for the purpose of servicing the firearm. However the other country might need additional paperwork to import into their country.

    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  7. Frank Ettin

    Frank Ettin Moderator

    Because service or assistance might be available by or through a U. S. affiliate of the manufacturer or a U. S. importer or dealer.
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  8. Willie Sutton

    Willie Sutton Well-Known Member

    ^^ This. There's absolutely nothing that can't be done in the USA by a competent gunsmith if he has the correct parts or materials available. The problem is that there really are precious few of those left.

    *If it were me*, I would enlist the assistance of JJ Perideux, at Champlin Arms. He's a classically trained Gunsmith, French, now a US Citizen and one of the best in the business. Champlin Arms has lots of experience importing and exporting high quality arms to/from Europe. So between his technical abilty, native French for communication to the factory in France, and having the correct licenses to do shipments (if needed), I would say he is a one-stop shop for what you need. The average value of the guns he works on is in the $30,000 range: He specializes in only the finest European arms, mainly fine shotguns and double rifles. You will have no worries working with him. He's worked on several of my double rifles (and has two of them now for work).


  9. Ohen Cepel

    Ohen Cepel Well-Known Member

    Because there are things like Beretta USA and CZ USA. May be an easier way to do things......
  10. Willie Sutton

    Willie Sutton Well-Known Member

    ^^ Reading between the lines, it isn't something supported by an Importer.

    Bear in mind also that "Importing" and "Exporting" (which deals with bringing in arms for the first time into the USA or for exporting them permanently to another nation) are distinctly different than taking arms outside the USA for temporary use. Witness hunters taking their arms to Canada and Africa on hunts, or (as I write this) people like me taking arms to the Bahamas by boat and then returning to the USA with them.



Share This Page