1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping a rifle

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by Prof, May 30, 2003.

  1. Prof

    Prof Well-Known Member

    I've searched the archives and couldn't find an answer to this specific question. If I wish to ship a rifle out of state to a manufacturer of, say, triggers or stocks, to have a part installed or modified, how can I ship it since they don't hold an FFL. My local UPS office will not ship ANY firearm unless I show them an FFL from the place I'm sending it to . However, as stated above, their are gun parts places which don't have FFL's. What can I do? I've heard that a person can ship a rifle USPS but would feel really strange walking into a post office with a boxed firearm! :uhoh:
  2. Poodleshooter

    Poodleshooter Well-Known Member

  3. 762x51

    762x51 Well-Known Member

    If they dont have an FFL, they cannot recieve a rifle from you. I believe the only thing you can do is maybe setup some sort of deal with them for you to ship your gun to a FFL local to them, they go and pick it up, do the work, and send it back to your FFL. It's either that or you can send them any parts to work on as long as there is no receiver. :(
  4. DMK

    DMK Well-Known Member

  5. JBP

    JBP Well-Known Member

    There is no problem shipping a rifle or handgun through USPS (http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf). Just make sure that all references to firearms are covered up with tape. The last time I did it I got into this nice conversation about different firearms with the guy waiting behind me. Just ask the postal clerk for a Form 1508 to fill out. A lot cheaper than UPS or FedEx.
  6. cratz2

    cratz2 Well-Known Member

    I can't think of many folks that have been in the smithing business for several years that don't have an FFL. Just part of the game.

    These are still licenses. It's no easier to become a licensed manufacturer than a licensed dealer. They still have to have a document that states they are licensed to receive, build, customize or repair firearms.
  7. Prof

    Prof Well-Known Member

    Thanks, all , for your replies. The particular place that I am now planning to ship to only makes gun stocks. They do not have a custom shop so do not need nor have an FFL. They are taking my rifle in as a favor to correct a fitting problem. Hence, my question. I think the reply recommending shipping to an FFL close to them is the solution. I regularly ship firearms through UPS and I am not a licensed dealer. So, even though their regs make it sound like both parties must have licenses, that's not correct. As long as either the shipper or receiver of the package does, that's enough. Luckily, the lady who handles the desk at my local UPS is pro-gun and cooperative and knows the actual UPS regs. Thanks, again!

Share This Page