1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping long guns out of state

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Splat Shot, Oct 23, 2004.

  1. Splat Shot

    Splat Shot New Member

    Dec 28, 2002
    My father-in-law, who lives in a different state, wants me to have a couple of his deer rifles. I know handguns must be shipped to an FFL but do rifles also have to be shipped to an FFL or can they come straight to me?

    Also will UPS or the USPS take long guns, Fed Ex is so expensive. Who is the best carrier to use?
  2. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Senior Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Nevada, escaped from the PDRK via Idaho.
    As I understand it, he is coming to visit you to do a little hunting and decided to ship the rifles to himself c/o of you at your address. Things being what they are, his trip had to be canceled but he plans on coming next year and wants you to hang on to them for him. Sounds Ok to me.

    UPS will take the long guns. He will have to go to a regular UPS center not the local neighborhood UPS mail center. He will have to declare what is in the packages. I recommend Third Day Select for good service and minimum handling delays enroute.

  3. Hkmp5sd

    Hkmp5sd Mentor

    Dec 24, 2002
    Winter Haven, FL
    If I understand the question, your father-in-law wants to give you some rifles and he lives in a different state. In order for him to legally transfer possession/ownership of the rifles to you, he must ship them to a FFL in your state and you then get them from the dealer.

Share This Page