1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping long guns?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by 3pairs12, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. 3pairs12

    3pairs12 Participating Member

    Nov 20, 2007
    I am selling a long gun but was only considering face to face sale. I am only doing this because I have never shipped a gun before. What do I need to do in order to ship a gun? Can I ship it directly to buying parties FFL? Do I have to have my FFL ship to their FFL? Any help would be great.
  2. JCUMM2

    JCUMM2 New Member

    Jun 14, 2005
    I sold a long gun to an idividual in another state. I used the USPS to ship it insured from Vermont to Indiana for under $25. I shipped it to a FFL. I obainted a signed copy of the FFL prior to shipping.
  3. AR-Trvlr

    AR-Trvlr New Member

    Jan 9, 2008
    Athens, GA
    On a similar note, what's the best way to box one? Just get a cheap hard case and send it that way? Is that a problem because it's obvious it's a gun? If so, where can I get a good cardboard "non-gun" box?
  4. nalioth

    nalioth Mentor

    Jul 9, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    You can visit your local appliance dealer and get some appliance boxes.

    All you need is the FFL dealers number and you can look them up on the A T F EzCheck website. You don't need any actual paper copy (this apparent requirement stems from 'the olden days' before the internet).

    Under Federal law, you are only legally required to ship to an FFL if doing an out of state transaction. You do not have to have any kind of copy of the FFL license in hand. I'd really suggest you utilize the EzCheck system, though.

    The EzCheck doesn't work for C&R (ffl03) license holders, so for this, a signed copy is needed.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008

Share This Page