1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SIG 9mm conversion, x-change kit or new CZ.

Discussion in 'Handguns: Autoloaders' started by pdosh, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. pdosh

    pdosh Active Member

    I didn't have any 9mm until I bought a M&P Shield in 9mm. Everything else is 40 S&W. So now I'm thinking I need a 9mm range gun. I have a SIG 226 and S&W M&P pro. So I have some options.

    1) Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm mags for either gun. $175-$230 or so with one mag.
    2) SIG 226 x-change kit in 9mm. This is new slide with night sights, 9mm barrel and one magazine about $300.
    3) CZ 75 for something different. $550+ I'm guessing.

    I'm not rolling in dough, and I don't have anything with night sights. I like both the SIG and Smith but the CZ is really nice in the hand. But a new gun means a new holster too. I'll have to buy more mags no matter what so that's not a big part of the decision.

    Anyone ever wrestle with this type of decision? I know there are plenty of opinions.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
  2. coalman

    coalman Well-Known Member

    Range Gun = CZ. Great range blasters IMO.
    Range + Other Uses = P226 in 9mm.
  3. Pilot

    Pilot Well-Known Member

    There are many 9MM CZ's to choose from. Do you want it strictly for range? If so, I think the full size, all steel pistols like the SP-01, 75B, 85B, 75SA, etc are the ones to get.

    If you want something more versatile, range, home defense, carry, then the 75D PCR, P-01, Compact, etc would be ones in which to focus.

    I have a 75B, PCR, and Kadet Kit which works on both. I carry the PCR, but it is also a great range, and HD gun.

  4. sigarms228

    sigarms228 Well-Known Member

    The P226 is a fabulous range gun and I much prefer it to any CZ. If you like your P226 and shoot it well it makes a lot of sense to one way or the other convert it to be able to also shoot 9MM.

    A lot have had GREAT luck with the Barsto 9MM conversion barrel though Barstso says you have a 70 percent chance of it dropping right in while 30 percent of buyers will need some minor fitting to make it work that you might be able to do yourself, have a competant gunsmith do, or send back to Barsto that they will only charge for shipping BUT it may take them 2 - 3 months!! I have not tried the SIG conversion kit for 9MM but I have hear good things about them also.

    Another thought is you can get a brand new SIG SP2022 poly frame 9MM DA/SA pistol for $349 shipped. They are great pistols and I have one and can shoot it just as well as my P226.


    Good luck!
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  5. bannockburn

    bannockburn Well-Known Member

    A CZ 75B, 85B, etc. with a Kadet .22LR conversion assembly would make for a great 2 in 1 range set-up. But this would also be your most expensive way to go as well. A CZ 75B is $569 retail (CZ 85B-$582), with the Kadet .22LR assembly going for $391 retail.

    Already having the SIG P226 would be the less expensive way to go. A SIG X-Change kit in 9mm. will cost you $365 retail while the additional .22LR conversion kit is priced at $285 retail. With these two conversion kits, you will now have a three caliber gun without the need for any additional holsters either.
  6. pdosh

    pdosh Active Member

    I'm thinking the x-change in 9mm. I like the SIG and I'd like to have a gun with night sights and don't have one right now. So if I account for the costs of sights and a barrel, looks like the x-change would be the way to go. I've seen them for just under $300. I have both the 40 and 357 Sig barrels already, so I can make it a 3 caliber gun and add the 22 x-change down the road for a 4 caliber setup. If I do that I may just have to do a YouTube video. :D

    A new gun would stretch the budget a little much i'm afraid right now.

    The SIG is a great range and home defense gun, but not for CCW. But I have multiple options for that.

    Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
  7. armoredman

    armoredman Well-Known Member

    Range and home use, SP-01, until you like it so much you buy a High Noon holster for it and start carrying it. SP-01 comes standard with night sights, too. The Standard SP-01 can be carried cocked and locked, or you could get the Tactical model, which has a decocker.
  8. ClemY

    ClemY Well-Known Member

    I am probably the wrong guy to ask. I have a 9mm SIG 226 for which I bought a .357SIG/.40 S&W conversion. It works well in all calibers. I recently put the E2 grips on it. I like it better that way. I also have an older CZ-75. It is a great gun. I don’t think you could go wrong with either.
  9. 777TRUTH

    777TRUTH Well-Known Member

    I would personally go with a new gun. The CZ 75B or 75 Compact would be a nice compliment to what you already have.
  10. calaverasslim

    calaverasslim Well-Known Member

    I owned 2 CZ's in the last couple years and liked them. Then I felt a Sig at my local toy store and was hooked. I now own 4 Sigs, zero CZ and could not be happier. I have a 9 I was going to spend the money on to convert to 357 Sig but I found one I could afford.


Share This Page