1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suppressed firearms

Discussion in 'Legal' started by thumbtack, Dec 30, 2002.

  1. thumbtack

    thumbtack Well-Known Member

    I know that there is a $200.00 dollar tax that goes to the ATF when you purchase one but what is the procedure. Do you have to apply to the ATF first?

    Does a firearm have to be built before a certain date to add a suppressor to it?

    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Robert inOregon

    Robert inOregon Well-Known Member

    1. Make sure the item you wish to purchase is legal in your state.

    2. Talk to you local chief of police and make sure he will sign your form 4.

    3. Purchase your suppressor.

    4. Fill out your form, fingerprints, photo, money and send it off to BATF.

    5. Wait.

    6. Wait.

    7. For some reason, its been taking a while. Wait some more.

    8. Get your forms back and pickup your new toy.
  3. El Tejon

    El Tejon Well-Known Member

    thumb, your friendly local NFA should (if he wants the business) be more than happy to walk you though your first 4. I believe the BATF website may also give a brief description.

    A suppressed .22 is an excellent first time NFA weapon, IMO.

    Good shooting.
  4. 444

    444 Well-Known Member

    "Do you have to apply to the ATF first? "
    Yes. Normally you buy the gun. When it comes in, the dealer fills out the paperwork. The paperwork contains the weapon or suppressor serial number, so you need to have the weapon first. You then fill out your portion. You get two passport photos which are attached to the forms. You get fingerprinted. You take the paperwork to your local head law enforcement officer for his signature. You include a $200 tax for each weapon, and mail the paperwork in. You then wait, and wait, and wait. While you wait, the weapon or suppressor stays with the dealer.
  5. clange

    clange Well-Known Member

    I'd love a silenced .22 but i'm pretty sure MO doesnt allow silencers, only full autos. :confused:
  6. Hkmp5sd

    Hkmp5sd Well-Known Member

    Everything you've ever wanted to know about NFA firearms...

    Bardwell's NFA Primer

    BTW, no suppressors, AOWs or DDs in MO.
  7. clange

    clange Well-Known Member

    If the above site is correct (and if i'm reading it right) apparently only FFLs can own machine guns and AOWs, otherwise only short barreled rifles and shotguns? That sucks, i hate this state. :mad:
  8. Hkmp5sd

    Hkmp5sd Well-Known Member


    It means you can have machineguns that are on the ATF C&R list, whether or not you have a C&R FFL.
  9. cordex

    cordex Well-Known Member

    A sound suppressor is considered (among other things) an overachieving flash suppressor as well. This means it is counted as an "evil feature" with regards to the Assault Weapons Ban of '94.

    If your gun does not fall under that bill, or contains no other "evil features", you're good to go.

Share This Page