1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tapered Mainspring Housing

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by ripcurlksm, Dec 11, 2006.

  1. ripcurlksm

    ripcurlksm Well-Known Member

    What is it called when you grind the corner of your mainspring housing to 45 degrees, as to take the corner off so it is rounded?
  2. Jim Watson

    Jim Watson Well-Known Member

    I call it smart. But do not know a specific name for the process. Call it Trixie.

    The Bobtail conversion which uses its own MSH and takes a lot off the butt did not feel right to me and I traded mine away. But just rounding or beveling the corner is a worthwhile change, especially on a short gun like OACP that cannot be Bobtailed anyhow.
  3. Sunray

    Sunray Well-Known Member

    It's called chamfering the edges. AKA cutting the sharp edges. Trixie will do though.
  4. RogersPrecision

    RogersPrecision Well-Known Member

    I call it "rounding off the heel".
    I'll put some pics up of this done on an officers model later this evening.
    Frames with full sized mainspring housings like the government and commander models can be bobtailed. Like the rounding....but a lot more.
  5. RogersPrecision

    RogersPrecision Well-Known Member

    Here is a bobtail:


    Here is a rounded Officers:


    I hope this helps!

  6. ripcurlksm

    ripcurlksm Well-Known Member

    Lookin good, you love it?
  7. Walkalong

    Walkalong Moderator

    Hey Rogers Precision....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Beautifull work.

Share This Page