1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring a handgun in NC

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by 45aim, Apr 21, 2006.

  1. 45aim

    45aim New Member

    Jan 8, 2006
    Long story short, I live in NC as well as the person that's purchasing the gun from me. How do I transfer the paperwork over his name? He has a CCW. The only forms that I know of are the ATF form 4473 (is this only valid if you buy a gun from the store? over the counter? or is for transferring also?) and F 4 (5320.4) ( http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53204.pdf ) not sure about the last one though.
    So basically what do we need to do in order to make the transaction? FFL..NCIS.. a bit lost.
    Thanks for the help!
  2. Rob1035

    Rob1035 Participating Member

    May 3, 2005
    MD, USA
    AFAIK, as long as he has a valid pistol permit or CHL, you're good to go. Shouldn't need any paperwork other than that. But dont take the word of some screen name on the internet:cool:
  3. misANTHrope

    misANTHrope Active Member

    Dec 26, 2002
    Hixson, TN
    Since you're (presumably) not a federally licensed dealer, you don't use a F4473 to record the transfer of a firearm. However, NC does require that the seller of a handgun acquire a purchase permit from the buyer, UNLESS the buyer possesses a NC CHL (as in this case). Long story short, you don't need to get anything from the buyer except for the necessary cash. It might be a good CYA gesture to get a photocopy of his CHL, and keep some kind of record of the sale- but it's strictly your option.
  4. Zach S

    Zach S Mentor

    Jun 30, 2003
    Western NC/East TN
    The only paperwork you need is green and has pictures of dead presidents on it. I would ask to at least see the CHL, just to CMA, especially with the way my luck has been going lately.

    Bills of sale wouldnt be a bad idea IMO, however they aren't legally required. It would just go in the safe with the rest of them.
  5. benEzra

    benEzra Moderator Emeritus

    Dec 25, 2002
    Down East in NC

    You can find the details in the above document, but basically misANTHrope nailed it. It is my understanding as a non-lawyer that all you need to do is have him show you his NC CHL. If you were selling to a non-CHL holder, then he'd need to provide you with a handgun purchase permit ($5 from your local sheriff's office, includes the mandatory background check).

Share This Page