1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transporting Machine Guns

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by NoAlibi, Feb 16, 2010.

  1. NoAlibi

    NoAlibi Well-Known Member

    It is my understanding that a specific form must be filled out and sent to the BATFE if you transport your machine gun out of the state it is registered in.

    I have the following questions:

    1 - Is this a form that is used to get "permission" from the Bureau or is it just a notification form?

    2 - Do you have to wait to get a notification from the Bureau that they received the form before you can transport the machine gun?

    3 - Is there a web site where I can download the form?

    4 - Is there a time limit that you can keep the machine gun in the new location?
  2. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

    BATFE form 20 5320.20

    1. Yes, you're applying for permission to transport your NFA item.
    2. Yes, approval is what you wait for.
    3. Yes -http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf
    4. Hmmmm... lemme look


    edit: Looks like you would designate the time limit on the form.

    This doesn't seem to be a requirement for suppressors.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  3. NoAlibi

    NoAlibi Well-Known Member

    One more question please

    CoRoMo - Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

    I want to take it to Mississippi and I think the prudent thing to do is check with their laws governing machine guns. The barrel with the permanently mounted flash hider is 14" long. The State that I originally registered it in did not allow short barreled rifles, but it is exempted because it is registered as a machine gun.

    Who do I check with to be ABSOLUTELY sure that it being a machine gun and having a 14" barrel will not be a problem (illegal) in Mississippi?
  4. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

  5. jmorris

    jmorris Well-Known Member

    This is true.

    When I travel with NFA items I always have the phone number and ext of the person that I spoke with and she/he said it was OK. Generally someone with the state police dept. I also have the NFA branch # with me as well.

    NFA 304-616-4500
    Louisiana State Police 225-925-4867

    I also keep the phone numbers of States I travel in with a handgun that don’t have reciprocity with mine to make sure I am within the law.
    Iowa State Patrol 515-725-6090
    Nebraska State Patrol 402-471-4545

    A list of all of them might make a good sticky
  6. lions

    lions Well-Known Member

    Sorry for the thread derail, just wanted to clarify. Do you mean for suppressors it's not a requirement on the Form 20, or it's not a requirement at all, on any form?
  7. TexasRifleman

    TexasRifleman Moderator Emeritus

    No form at all for suppressors. They "don't count" as far as needing permission to go state to state. Still subject to each state law of course.
  8. medalguy

    medalguy Well-Known Member

    Corect. You can transport a suppresor or suppresed weapon across state lines without BATF permission AS LONG AS the local laws where you are going do allow possession of a suppressed weapon. This assumes the weapon in question is not a machine gun.
  9. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

    Or a SBR, SBS, or DD.
    If you train/compete with an SBR, state lines become a problem. You'd have to ask permission to take that carbine to the neighboring state if Magpul doesn't have a class in your neck of the woods.
  10. jojo200517

    jojo200517 Well-Known Member

    Ya forgot AOW's :)
  11. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

    AFAIK, you don't need Form 20 approval to travel with an AOW.
  12. dirt_j00

    dirt_j00 Well-Known Member

    OP - I have read on ar15.com that 1-year interstate transport approvals are common (Form 5320.20). I have looked because I have family in a neighboring state that I visit regularly.

    This is good to know if you travel interstate (to the same state) often (ex. visiting family, nearby shooting range, etc.)

    This is also mentioned in the 4th paragraph here.
  13. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith Moderator Staff Member

    Here's what I do. I submit the 5320.20 for each relevant item (ie, my SBR) for each state I might go to (let's say WY TX WI NM), for the interval of the calendar year. I put the purpose as some combination of "competition, training, demonstration" depending on what I'll be doing. I seem to remember my forms come back approved/acknowledged within a couple weeks.

  14. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Well-Known Member

    Great example.

    What do you list as the "Transporting to" address?... say you are going to train or compete in Wyoming a number of times, in a few different locations.
  15. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith Moderator Staff Member

    ETA: Found them.

    What I do is list the primary address I would be traveling to in that state, IE, the one I would be "based out of."

  16. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith Moderator Staff Member

Share This Page