1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

uh oh..Need to fix/weld a folding stock in the open postion, how can it be done?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by kevin993, Oct 9, 2004.

  1. kevin993

    kevin993 Member

    I ordered a butler creek folder for my 10/22 which was supposed to be welded in the open postion as per their description. Well apparently they removed that part on their site a day after I ordered it and the stock I received was able to fold.

    Why is this a problem, you ask, now that the fed AWB is expired. Well I live in the state of connecticut which has their own AWB that says folders are illegal.

    In order to comply with the law I want to "perm" keep this open but still be able to remove the lock later in case the law expires or I move.

    How can this be accomplished? I see there is a small hole in the folding mechanism that look like it can be plugged and tack welded in place. I'm assuming this is how I can hold it open?

    here is a pic where you can see the hole:


    Any suggestion on the best way to do this or what kind of plug I can use? Thanks guys!
  2. kevin993

    kevin993 Member

    p.s. If I am caught with this thing and its able to fold will I go to jail for 5 years/$10,000 fine? I'm very curious (not that I would ever be dumb enough to install it in its current condition)
  3. El Cid

    El Cid Active Member

    Go th a hardware store and get a pack of DEV-CON epoxy, METAL MENDER epoxy OR meta-Lox. Follow the instructions for mixing, fill the hinge, wait 24 hours and you are ok.
  4. gryphon

    gryphon Well-Known Member

    Ask a lawyer that question.
  5. Kodiak AK

    Kodiak AK Well-Known Member

    Can you exchange it?
  6. Darkside

    Darkside Well-Known Member

    If that is the stock I think it is, the hole is for a roll pin. But, I don't know if the instalation of a roll pin meets the requirements of your local law to be a "fixed" stock.

  7. lee n. field

    lee n. field Well-Known Member

    Call Butler Creek and see if they have any fixed ones, and will they exchange it for you. Otherwise, send it back to where you got it.

    I'm surprised the vendor even shipped it to you.
  8. rust collector

    rust collector Well-Known Member

    The penalty you cite is probably a maximum, which is rarely imposed unless your record shows you've been a busy criminal. Beware of minimum sentences, however, which are imposed by legislators who want to be judges and ignore the unique attributes of each human and the facts that led to the conviction.

    What to do depends upon the statutory definition of folding stock. I suspect that these were lawful in your state with the rollpin in place, and if so you just need to get a rollpin back in there, tight enough so it can't be folded without use of tools to modify the stock. I wouldn't want to use epoxy or anything irreversible--a different stock would be more useful than a permanently frozen folder, and it would be tough to sell stock or weapon to someone not similarly restricted.
  9. Smiley

    Smiley Well-Known Member

    Curious because I live in CT as well. I know that the Mini14 is specifically listed with the folder stock as being an assault weapon that is prohibited. What about putting a collapsable stock on an AR. I was planning on doing this to my Bushmaster but I have had trouble nailing down just how the CT AWB would affect things after the Federal AWB.

    I am going to the Mass gunshow sun and was going to pick up a collapsable stock then but I may hold of now until I can get a more clear answer on this.
  10. kevin993

    kevin993 Member

    Smiley.. I saw that on the CT AW FAQ page but it is outdated... here is a link to the more current regulations (updated in 2001) that clearly show folding stocks are banned with a pistol grip:


    :( sucks
  11. kevin993

    kevin993 Member

    rust collector, I agree but its not worth the $75 cost of the stock to have them catch me on a technicallity that the pin can be removed with tools, I'd rather have it perm held open.
  12. thatguy

    thatguy Well-Known Member

    What's the point to a folding stock that doesn't fold? Just for looks? They are much less comfortable than a conventional stock and the only advantage in my opinion is folding for compact storage. This is moot if pinned or welded open so why bother?

    I would drill a hole (or use an existing one if present), insert a pin cut from soft round stock and peen both ends like a rivet. Should be permanent enough to satisfy the law but the pin could be drilled out later.
  13. iiibdsiil

    iiibdsiil Well-Known Member

    Or go to home depot, pick up a rivet gun, and rivets, and it will even look professional. They probably wouldn't be able to tell you that it isn't.
  14. rayra

    rayra member

    It's quite simple. Return the stock to the point of purchase.
    Pick something else.
  15. HankB

    HankB Well-Known Member

    Hmmm . . . does your state have a "grandfather" clause?

    If so, did you obtain your rifle before the effective date of your state's AWB?

    Then you'd just be replacing a "grandfathered" folding stock on your rifle which broke (and was discarded) with a similar repair part, right?

    (In the absence of a grandfather clause, or if you got your rifle after the effective date of the law, you're SOL.)
  16. 13A

    13A Well-Known Member

    People I know swear by JB Weld. I have never tried it. It is an epoxy, I think.

    Anyway, it is cheap so you're not out much if it doesn't work. Good luck.

Share This Page