1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you call these doodads?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by jmace57, Feb 26, 2014.

  1. jmace57

    jmace57 Well-Known Member

    I have a really dumb question. What would you call these thingies that you put blue on with? And after that, where would you buy some. I've got plenty of blue, and really like using these little things, but have no idea what you'd call these. Thanks. (or if you have a suggestion for something else that's better, let me know)

  2. BlisteringSilence

    BlisteringSilence Well-Known Member

  3. gpb

    gpb Well-Known Member

  4. WestKentucky

    WestKentucky Well-Known Member

    I would go with "small chemical mop". When that fails I would go with whatchamacallit doohickey or doomaflotchie
  5. Larry Ashcraft

    Larry Ashcraft Moderator Staff Member


    If you're just doing touch up, Q-tips work fine.
  6. moewadle

    moewadle Well-Known Member

    Go to places like Lowe's

    and paint supply stores, hardware, etc. They have paint daubers (my term) that are little wooden handles with a dark styrofoam like end like you show in the photo. They are very, very inexpensive and would be much smarter than spending a lot of money at a place like Brownell's in my opinion. I like Brownell's but you do not have to pay their specialty prices for something you can obtain much more cheaply at a local store. Like .49 cents each or such.
  7. BHarada

    BHarada Well-Known Member

    Dauber is a valid name for those. Here's some found in a Google search.

    Click on the image for the link.

  8. Hardtarget

    Hardtarget Well-Known Member

    If there is a Tandy Leather Store close to you, you can get them there also.

  9. jmace57

    jmace57 Well-Known Member

    I don't feel quite so bad after seeing they are called dauber or swauber- thanks all.
  10. jr_roosa

    jr_roosa Well-Known Member

    Get some cheapo locking hemostats. They have them in the fly fishing gear, at the drug store, or any of your medical friends probably have a drawer full.

    Clamp them to a cotton ball and you can basically have an unlimited supply for the cost of a big bag of cotton balls.

  11. bluekouki86

    bluekouki86 Well-Known Member

    Not long ago I needed to touch up some bluing on a shotgun after some minor work. I found myself without those handy little swabs you were asking about. Luckily I found a great bluing applicator with a nice handle around the house (much to my wife's dismay). Not proud, but it worked in a pinch:eek:

    Edit: I'm sorry if this was seen as inappropriate, I was trying to be productive and contribute an experience and how it was solved. In my eyes it was on topic, and not used in an offensive manner.. I'll try to not let it happen again.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. mnrivrat

    mnrivrat Well-Known Member

    Like Q-Tips, the standard cotton ball found in the local stores can also get the job done.

    bluekouki86 - I'm sure the wife will be just as pleased that you shared that tip with us . ;)
  13. berettaprofessor

    berettaprofessor Well-Known Member

    :what::what::what: maybe these things would be useful in a bug out bag.:rolleyes:
  14. aarondhgraham

    aarondhgraham Well-Known Member

    Tandy leather calls them "Wool Daubers"

    I call them dye applicators

    Click here please,,,


  15. GoWolfpack

    GoWolfpack Well-Known Member

    Cotton ball on a stick.
  16. 200Apples

    200Apples Well-Known Member

    Swab the deck, ye maggots!
  17. Tirod

    Tirod Well-Known Member

    "Swauber" is a Birchwood Casey trademarked name from what I see. Which explains why I never heard of it before.

  18. TUBBY1

    TUBBY1 Well-Known Member

    Dye daubers,( bore daubers, ) for administering fluids evenly without saturating. For dying fabric shoes etc. wooly balls on the end of metal handles with looped ends for hanging while still wet. Tandy leather or Lieber standard findings.
  19. Shanghai McCoy

    Shanghai McCoy Well-Known Member

    Make sure what you are using is cotton. The non-cotton material does not seem to work as well.

Share This Page