1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is it

Discussion in 'Blackpowder' started by jcowan, Apr 17, 2010.

  1. jcowan

    jcowan New Member

    Feb 3, 2009
    There is a great looking black powder gun on the cover of the NRA store spring catalog. I have trouble distinguishing an 1860 from an 1861 when I can't see the bore, is there another way to tell them apart? The cylinder is strange, I am guessing a conversion. The grips are beautiful. I am new at this game but I think it is an 1860 conversion with ivory grips. I am hoping to score at least a 1 out of 3 on this question. Also, what is at the top of the cylinder forward of the hammer? I will be ordering the t-shirt that is under it.
  2. Hellgate

    Hellgate Participating Member

    Jan 11, 2004
    Only know the answer to the first question: the 1860 has a rebated cylinder whereas the Navy has a straight cylinder. The 44 Army has the back 1/4 of the cylinder a smaller diameter than the front 3/4. The Navy 36cal has a cylinder that is the same thickness for itsfull length.

Share This Page