1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What kind of gun is this?

Discussion in 'Firearms Research' started by gtudor, Feb 8, 2013.

  1. gtudor

    gtudor New Member

    I am trying to see if anyone knows what kind of gun this is, my grandfather used it in WWII to knock out some German's teeth, hence the chip in it. If you have any idea on the value or even just the year the gun was made and where it may have come from, I would greatly appreciate the info.

    Attached Files:

  2. mnrivrat

    mnrivrat Well-Known Member

    You have what is commonly called a Flobert Parlor Pistol. These are single shot rimfire guns made typically in Belgium or Germany and were used in indoor shooting parlors .
  3. Legion489

    Legion489 member

    It looks like a high quality Flobert pistol (used with Flobert .22 cartridges) for parlor practice. Off hand I would say French, mid-1800s (say 1850 to 1880). Best bet is to take as many HIGH QUALITY close ups of any markings, barrel, over all shots (as done here) and with chamber open and send to the NRA and ask them.
  4. Jim K

    Jim K Well-Known Member

    It is not a true Flobert; it is a Warnant type, with a breechblock that swings up and forward to extract the fired case and reload. The true Flobert had no breechblock, depending on the heavy hammer to keep the case from blowing back under prssure.

    That is a rather odd looking one. It is pretty certain that no German soldier would have been carrying such a gun so it probably came out of a German home in the course of gun confiscation by the Allied troops.

  5. 303tom

    303tom member

    Yes that is a true Flobert, it is a Flobert Pistol with a Warnant-breech block...............

Share This Page