1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to find detachable revolver stocks?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Gelgoog, Aug 11, 2010.

  1. Gelgoog

    Gelgoog Well-Known Member

    I am looking for stocks to put on revolvers to make some nice stocked pistols (SBR) if anyone knows a company who makes them it would be cool.
  2. Kentucky_Rifleman

    Kentucky_Rifleman Well-Known Member

    Have you looked into the NFA paperwork? I've often considered doing this, but then the gun must be registered as an SBR and the tax paid on it. Another thread mentioned that once an item was converted to NFA, it would always be an NFA item. I don't know that this is true, since I've not looked too deeply into it. I'll be lazy here, and ask you to share what you learn. :D

  3. nalioth

    nalioth Well-Known Member

    You picked the one "another thread" out of the thousands here that was a ringer.

    Any NFA item can be removed from the NFA registry. Just have to follow the procedures.
  4. Gelgoog

    Gelgoog Well-Known Member

    Yes i know all about the NFA and all that comes with it. That however is not what I was asking about.

    All I want to know is a place I can find stocks made for revolvers, especially older single action revolvers.
  5. nalioth

    nalioth Well-Known Member

    Depending on "how old", the NFA will not apply.

    Can you share more info with us, so we can give you a better answer?
  6. gun guy

    gun guy Well-Known Member

    stocks on pistols, its been done, depending on which ones, there are some legal considerations (type III stuff). that aside, in a nutshell, it doesnt work well, IMO. i believe the 1860 cap and ball revolver w/stock is exempt, you can probably find a reasonably priced replica. they are fun to shoot, beyond that not too practical. the new taurus revolver carbine reminds me of that catagory. buy a paint ball/air soft replica, play with it, decide for yourself.
  7. Gelgoog

    Gelgoog Well-Known Member

    I am looking for either reproduction detachable shoulder stocks, or stocks made for pistols to go on things like 1851 colt, buntlines, etc.

    I do not care about answers of legality, I have already taken all of that into advisement.
  8. nalioth

    nalioth Well-Known Member

    Stocks on "antiques" or non-cartridge reproductions of them are legal.
  9. Jim Watson

    Jim Watson Well-Known Member

  10. Gelgoog

    Gelgoog Well-Known Member

    Thank you jim.
  11. vwfool

    vwfool Well-Known Member

    No offense to everyone else, but it is pretty bad it takes 9 tries to get just a simple answer to a simple question. You put SBR in your question. Since you posted this here in the NFA section instead of the revolver section, I didn't figure you meant "stocked blackpowder revolver." I didn't reply because I didn't have the answer to your actual question like Jim did.

    Have you seen or found any of the skeletonized metal stocks for a revolver for sale anywhere? It might not have the warmth of the wood, but the buntline I saw with one looked pretty darn nifty. It attached like the wood ones, hooked onto screws on top with a tension screw on the bottom.
  12. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    First of all: He didn't post it in the NFA section. I moved it here because (as he wrote "SBR" and made no mention of the vintage of the guns he was considering working with) it was not clear that he was only interested in NFA-exempt antique/replica items.

    Second: I think the responses are pretty helpful, mostly, as this is a thorny issue that the ATF has been less than clear about. Further, we get new or incompletely-informed folks here every month who want to do something or are asking about something that crosses a legal line they aren't familiar with.

    If a member (as it was in this case) has a very specific question and already is familiar with the laws, or is specifically working to stay exempt from the legal trouble spots, it would behoove him to say so clearly from the beginning.
  13. vwfool

    vwfool Well-Known Member

    Duly noted; I didn't realize it was moved from another forum. Seeing how it wasn't posted in NFA first, I agree a little nudge in the right direction doesn't hurt. On the other hand, I have also seen too many posts on any subject you pick that dive off into too many rabbit holes without ever addressing the original question.

    As stated before,"No offense to everyone else."

    Sometimes it is nice to just get your question answered. If I wanted to ask, "Based off of barrel thickness, what screw in choke tubes work best in a 12.5" 12 gauge?" I just want an answer. I don't want to read through 15 replies telling me "you have to have your tax stamp before you can build that" or "You can't do that unless it is an AOW or a SBS." I know this. I just want my questioned answered without having my thread hijacked by people telling each other that if I Form 4ed it as an AOW w/ a 12.5" barrel it is only a $5 tax, but if I Form 1 it, it costs $200.

    Before you go off on me, I imagine that as a moderator you have a little more responsibility to make sure that THR isn't condoning any illegal activity. I will be glad to help someone on a question about building something or where the ATF says this or that is or isn't okay. It isn't my job to tell everyone here that info anytime they post some simple question.

    Once again, no offense.

Share This Page