1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yup... Definately going to PRKalifornia.

Discussion in 'Legal' started by AF_INT1N0, Feb 6, 2006.

  1. AF_INT1N0

    AF_INT1N0 Well-Known Member

    Mar 31, 2004
    Yup... It's final. My orders send me directly to the land of fruits and nuts...

    There was a while when I thought I was going to Kadena(Okanawa Japan) But no, they changed the wifes orders and WE are California Bound!:barf:

    So as long as I'm going.. What do I do about.

    1. Where to live? I was thinking Yolo County because I will be stationed at Travis, and It's the closest thing to a shall issue county in the area (in between Sacremento and San Fransisco).

    2. What to do about a reasonable home defense gun. (Note: a pinned reciever "scary assault AR-15" isn't. But what about a M-14, or M-1 Garand, M-1 carbine???

    3. If not a rifle what about a Semi-Auto Shotgun. Ie. a Benelli M-1 or Winchester 2X

    The Note I want something that will down a druggy, or a hard shell burgalar if need be..

    4. Is it mandatory that you register your guns. Or do you just have to register [Whiny crybaby voice] "Assault Guns" [/Whiny crybaby voice]

    5. Who is the non incumbant /pro 2A Legislator, judge, etc. I'm not changing my state of residence (Texas BTW) But that won't stop me from giving money and helping with campaigns.

    6. I'd like to get a good head start, who do I need to start hating as a Subject of the Peoples Republik? I already know Feinstein... Who else.

    Any and all help greatly appreciated.

  2. R.H. Lee

    R.H. Lee Well-Known Member

    Jan 26, 2004
    Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here :neener:

    Sheesh! It ain't that bad.

    I think you have 30 days to register your handguns; no 'assault weapons' permitted; M1 Garand ok as are fixed mag SKS's. For HD, any shotgun is good; I use a Win 1300.

    Begin hating this guy right away; he's the chief gun grabber (and wannabe governor). On that website, there's a link to the firearms division, about halfway down the page; that will answer your gun-related questions.

    Good luck, and welcome to the Golden State.
  3. dm1333

    dm1333 Well-Known Member

    Dec 21, 2005
    California is not that bad:eek: I am stationed several counties north of Travis and I don't pay too much to the politics in the state so I can't help you there. M14s(probably springfields M1A), Garands, M1s, semi auto shotguns are all legal. I can't post the link for some reason but check out CADOJ.gov to get onto the website to see which guns are not banned. I think you will find the state is definately different but for a 3 or 4 year tour it should not be bad. You'll be close to Tahoe, Shasta and Lassen for example, and you can hit some of the most beautiful coast you'll ever see in Mendocino and Humboldt counties.

  4. R.H. Lee

    R.H. Lee Well-Known Member

    Jan 26, 2004
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot- 10 rd mag limit on everything.
  5. GTSteve03

    GTSteve03 Well-Known Member

    Apr 21, 2005
    Cumming, GA
    Shotgun - go for a pump or semi in the usual suspects... Winchester, Remington, Mossberg.

    Carbine - try the Kel Tec SU-16CA, it's a nice compact 5.56 carbine that takes USGI mags and has mounts for optics.

    Or nothing wrong with a Garand if you can get your hands on a good one!
  6. Balog

    Balog Well-Known Member

    Sep 22, 2003
    Directly below date registered
    Ok, IANAL, but I've been told there exists a "servicemembers" exception to the gun bans. As I understand it, you may legally bring banned weapons with you if you are forced to relocate. However, I have no info on storage or usage restrictions. Check with your legal office on-base, the AG's office etc. And remember, it could be worse; I'm in 29 Palms.:mad:
  7. Red State

    Red State Well-Known Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Welcome to Commufornia........ :)


    Firearms Information for New California Residents


    Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

    Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.

    Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.

    Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.
    Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.

    SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES (Not including assault weapons as defined by California Law.)

    California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California. For further information regarding what is defined as an assault weapon in California please click here.

    Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g)).
  8. Red State

    Red State Well-Known Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Here is the CA official list of "assault weapons". They are evil ..... or so the theory goes. (Looks like the Ruger Mini-14 and Springfield M1A are ok?)


    They are evil ..... or so goes the theory.

    Assault Weapons


    The following designated semiautomatic firearms are assault weapons:

    (a) All of the following specified rifles:
    (1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
    (A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
    (B) Norinco 56, 56S, 84S, and 86S.
    (C) Poly Technologies AKS and AK47.
    (D) MAADI AK47 and ARM.
    (2) UZI and Galil.
    (3) Beretta AR-70.
    (4) CETME Sporter.
    (5) Colt AR-15 series.
    (6) Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1, Max 2, AR 100, and AR110 C.
    (7) Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 Match, and Sporter.
    (8) MAS 223.
    (9) HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, and HK-PSG-1
    (10) The following MAC types:
    (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
    (B) SWD Incorporated M11.
    (11) SKS with detachable magazine.
    (12) SIG AMT, PE-57, SG 550, and SG 551.
    (13) Springfield Armory BM59 and SAR-48.
    (14) Sterling MK-6.
    (15) Steyer AUG.
    (16) Valmet M62S, M71S, and M78S.
    (17) Armalite AR-180.
    (18) Bushmaster Assault Rifle.
    (19) Calico M-900.
    (20) J&R ENG M-68.
    (21) Weaver Arms Nighthawk.
    (b) All of the following specified pistols:
    (1) UZI.
    (2) Encom MP-9 and MP-45.
    (3) The following MAC types:
    (A) RPB Industries Inc. sM10 and sM11.
    (B) SWD Incorporated M-11.
    (C) Advance Armament Inc. M-11.
    (D) Military Armament Corp. Ingram M-11.
    (4) Intratec TEC-9.
    (5) Sites Spectre.
    (6) Sterling MK-7.
    (7) Calico M-950.
    (8) Bushmaster Pistol.
    (c) All of the following specified shotguns:
    (1) Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12.
    (2) Striker 12.
    (3) The Streetsweeper type S/S Inc. SS/12.
  9. Zundfolge

    Zundfolge Well-Known Member

    Dec 24, 2002
    Colorado Springs
    California is bad, but still better than Japan (at least as far as gun rights go).
  10. Red State

    Red State Well-Known Member

    Oct 31, 2005
    Firearms not specifically listed above may be no-nos because of the following definitions: (I am getting depressed)

    DOJ Firearms Division

    Senate Bill 23 Assault Weapon Characteristics

    Effective January 1, 2000, Senate Bill 23, Statutes of 1999, establishes new criteria for defining assault weapons based on generic characteristics. This bill allows and requires persons who own/possess firearms that fall under the new "assault weapon" definition to register those firearms with the Department of Justice during the one-year period between January 1, 2000 and December 31, 2000. Effective January 1, 2000, this bill adds Penal Code Section 12276.1 to the Penal Code as follows.

    12276.1 (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:

    (1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    (B) A thumbhole stock.
    (C) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    (E) A flash suppressor.
    (F) A forward pistol grip.

    (2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

    (3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

    (4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
    (A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
    (B) A second handgrip.
    (C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
    (D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

    (5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

    (6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
    (A) A folding or telescoping stock.
    (B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

    (7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

    (8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

    (b) "Assault weapon" does not include any antique firearm.

    (c) The following definitions shall apply under this section:
    (1) "Magazine" shall mean any ammunition feeding device.
    (2) "Capacity to accept more than 10 rounds" shall mean capable of accommodating more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
    (3) "Antique firearm" means any firearm manufactured prior to January 1, 1899.

    (d) This section shall become operative January 1, 2000.
  11. crazed_ss

    crazed_ss Well-Known Member

    Dec 27, 2005
    Sunny San Diego
    For home defense, you can pretty much get any pistol or shotgun here. Pistol and rifle mags are limited to 10rds though.
    I recently purchased these two items from the gun local Turner's shop.

    Pistols much be approved by the state to be sold here. Most popular ones are appproved. There's a list here: http://justice.doj.ca.gov/safeguns/safeguns.asp

    There is a 10 day waiting people and background check for buying guns. You can only buy one pistol per month. You have to take a test and get a little certificate to buy a handgun. Study guide here: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/forms/pdf/hscsg.pdf .. You also have to demonstrate that you know how to load and unload the pistol when you pick it up.

    For semi-auto rifles your choices are:
    M1A, SKS, SU-16, Mini-14, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.

    ARs, AKs, FALs, etc are all banned here.
    Gimped top-loading ARs and FALs are available though.

    On registration:
    This is info from the brady website so it has obvious anti-gun bias.. the basic info about the laws and regulations here is accurate though.

    "May police maintain gun sale records? Yes

    California - State law authorizes law enforcement to keep a record of every handgun sold or transferred in the state, but the state does not keep any records on the sale of rifles or shotguns. The handgun sale records are maintained by state law enforcement for use in gun tracing and related criminal investigations. People who move into California with guns must provide a record to state law enforcement. "

    Are all guns registered with law enforcement? Partial

    California - State law only requires registration of assault weapons. No state requirement that other firearms be registered. Police do not known how many guns are in the state or where they are. The lack of registration makes it difficult for police to trace guns used in crime, identify illegal gun traffickers or hold gun owners accountable for the illegal use of their weapons. State law enforcement has kept records on handgun transfers (not rifles or shotguns) since 1990, but there is no way of knowing whether the buyers still have those handguns - there is no requirement for reporting of lost or stolen guns. The state does compare the existing handgun sale records with recent criminal convictions to identify gun owners who are no longer allowed to possess handguns."
  12. Old Dog

    Old Dog Well-Known Member

    Aug 11, 2004
    somewhere on Puget Sound
    19 bucks PER handgun! And a separate form for each ... This must really encourage new California residents to register their guns.

    Unbelievable. No wonder I "forgot" to register mine when I moved back to CA from Hawaii (but hey, it's even more of a hassle registering one's guns in Hawaii) ... Thank the Lord I'm in a free state now.

    Oh well, AF_INT1NO, at least you're close to some decent skiing, hiking and camping in the Sierras ... And as dm1333 said, lots of nice coastline with tons of bed'n'breakfasts and winery tours for those weekends with the wife (pile up those credits now for when you relocate back to a free state) ...
  13. crazed_ss

    crazed_ss Well-Known Member

    Dec 27, 2005
    Sunny San Diego
    Yea.. they charge a fee for everything here.
    I couldnt believe the $25 to take the stupid handgun safety test. I really dont understand what I was paying $25 for. All the gun shop did was hand me a booklet and answer sheet and have me take the test. The gun shop issues the certificates on site so it's not like any paperwork has to be proccessed by the state.:cuss:
  14. BigRobT

    BigRobT Well-Known Member

    Dec 11, 2005
    North Central Texas
    Definitely check into any military exemptions. Ca has, in the past, given the military a lot of breaks on things. I left in 1986, so I KNOW much has changed in the last 20 years.

    As far as shotguns go, most pumps are adequate, but I REALLY like my Winchester Super X2. Mine is used for deer hunting, so it has a rifled barrel and shoots slugs very nicely. I wished I had opted for the tactical model with a higher cap magazine, but I can affix an extension and get the same capacity (Still won't go over 10 :( )
  15. Malone LaVeigh

    Malone LaVeigh Well-Known Member

    Dec 24, 2002
    Washed out of Four-dollar Bayou. Now I'm... somewh
    Ditto. I have seen people at our local range with ARs who, when I asked them, said they were legal for military and LE.
  16. bg

    bg Well-Known Member

    Oct 5, 2003
    When you find out, let me know..
  17. Adventurer_96

    Adventurer_96 Well-Known Member

    Dec 31, 2002
    I'm stationed at Edwards AFB and if you're active military then you can register assault weapons (by feature or by name) prior to moving into the state. Is your wife military? Then she owns all the guns, right? ;) You don't need to pay $25 for the handgun safety certificate if you're military as well, just bring a copy of your orders.

    The CA DOJ does not advertise it on their website, but they have a Military Assault Weapons Permit (MAWP) which they issue to active duty service members who are sentenced/stationed to California. The permit costs $78 a year for as many as you can take the time to register. It is a surprisingly easy process, but beyond registering the weapons you can get bad info from the office. I was told by one person that mags greater than 10 rounds were OK if you registered the weapon, then later told that such was not the case. As it turns out, there is no way listed in the law that allows AD servicemembers to bring highcaps into the state, except for "official duty" weapons as I understand it. Bottom line - leave the mags out of state, and bring in as many AWs through the MAWP that you think you might want for 3-4 years.

    Not to mention, bring lots of 1911 receivers for all the projects you might want to start when you're here, because you can't order a frame here, they're treated the same as an "unsafe," off-the-list handgun. That means that you can move into the state with them, but as a CA resident you can't order one through an FFL. Example - Series 70 Colt 1911s, S&W revolvers that aren't 50+years old (C&R), etc. are hard to find here because you have to find one that's for sale in the state. You can't buy one on Gunbroker, then have it transferred through your dealer here.

    I've also read, but not confirmed, that if you're a non-resident moving to CA then there is a way to register your AWs. I have no info on this beyond reading a post on arfcom, as I recall.

    Regarding AWs: By Name means a weapon specifically listed, like a Colt AR-15 or a Polytech AK. By Feature means a weapon that has a detachable mag and evil feature, like an off-name AK or AR that's configured normally w/pistol grip, flash suppressor, etc. Some weapons, like the FAL and the M-14, can be made into CA-legal variants fairly easily.

    PM me w/your email if you'd like more info, I can email you a .pdf copy of the MAWP application as well as a scan of the business card of Ms. Yolanda Garcia, who handled my application at DOJ.

    There are worse places to be stationed, but there are some that are a lot better. At least, as mentioned here, you can still own guns and shoot in CA, although it's a lot more of a PITA than elsewhere.
  18. pittspilot

    pittspilot Well-Known Member

    Jan 3, 2003
    AZ, Free at last!
    And Yolo County is not shall issue, maybe rarely issue to Sheriff's cronies.
  19. Librarian

    Librarian Well-Known Member

    Oct 14, 2003
    Concord, CA
    With the right name, much can be done:
    The place to write is:
    Department of Justice
    Firearms Licensing and Permits Unit-MAWP
    P.O. Box 820200
    Sacramento, CA 94203-0200​
    or call them at (916) 227- 3274. Make sure you specify that you are active duty military.

    Thanks to scottsw1 at ar15.com
  20. Mr.V.

    Mr.V. Well-Known Member

    Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    We have really good guacamole here...

Share This Page