Quantcast
THR FAQs - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - Please read before posting here. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Site Maintenance > Site Questions, Comments, and Tech Support

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Closed Thread

Old January 5, 2004, 05:29 PM   #1
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Photos - Posting help and Manipulation.

Newer to digital imaging? Wondering how to post your pics??
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK guys .. I have nibbled away at this for the last week ... albeit rather sporadically - so excuse any oddities!!

It is not a ''bells and whistles'' deal ... just pretty straight html .... also, some parts are pretty text heavy, inevitably - so, take a look and see if there's something that might help.

To those who already ''know it all'' ... doubt you'll need any of it!

I would appreciate feedback .. tell me of glaring errors, bad links (tho I have tested it a bit) .... and then please .. any aspects you feel too difficult to interpret ...... and, what might you want added? Remember, this is pretty much a ''spare time'' deal.

I would like to find the time to try and add a few extra images here and there ... please give me any suggestions.

Here ya go then .. try ........ link also in THR Library

THR IMAGE MATTERS

Last edited by P95Carry; July 29, 2005 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Update - changed image site URL
Old January 14, 2004, 08:06 PM   #2
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Posted a new thread to bring this to people's notice but maybe ... also worth a mention on this one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Digcam choice ... addition to ''Image Matters''

I have added a New Page to ''Image Matters'' ..... to try and help further those trying to wade thru the vast selection on the market.

I have picked five quite useful web sites, somewhat at random, all of which give reviews in some form or another ..... and also in one or two cases have either a forum, glossary of terms, or even some explanatory stuff too.

I hope this might further aid folks in their quest toward make a choice, either for the first camera or an upgrade, the better to be able to take the pics of their guns and accessories.

Do please study carefully before making a purchase - I don't think there is any real quick and easy way, without possibly making a wrong decision, to be regretted later. After all .. for many of us .. getting the camera is about equivalent to another gun!! (we could have had!).

Once again .. feedback please if any thoughts on omissions, errors etc.

Old January 23, 2004, 10:40 PM   #3
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Dynamic Hierarchical Menu

Not sure if many will catch this ..... but have added a dynamic menu to the ''mini-site'' ..... as long as java enabled it should work for you, tho it does add a bit to download time as some scripting needs recovered from server.

If you see no menu then old text links still in place.

If anyone does go look .. feedback please. I have tested it out and seems all links OK but would appreciate any comments.

Old January 30, 2004, 11:30 AM   #4
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Small upgrade and addition

I have slightly enhanced the menu .. so it now shows tool-tips, which may help with selecting where you want to go look.

Also ...

A new page - where you can see two examples of effects of aperture on close-ups with respect to depth of field.

Any glitches - please let me know.

Old June 16, 2005, 10:00 PM   #5
Rosey

How do I quote other posts in my posts?

Maybe I'm missing something obvious? How to I include quote from someone else in a reply?
Old June 16, 2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Mal H
Administrator

It's quite simple Rosey, copy the text you want to quote, paste it in your reply window, select it by swiping over it with the cursor while holding down the left mouse button (there are several other methods to select text) and then press the little quote button up in the tools area of the reply window (). The QUOTE tags will pop up and surround the selected text after you hit the quote button.

If you want to add the poster's name to your quote, add =Username to the first 'QUOTE' tag where Username is the poster's screen name (i.e., [QUOTE=Rosey]).

If you press the Quote button without selecting any text, the QUOTE tags will pop up at the current location of the cursor. Paste the copied text in between them. I prefer the select-the-text method over this one since you have to be sure the cursor is in the right location with this method.

You can also simply type the [QUOTE] [/QUOTE] tags surrounding the text without having to select it first.

If that is not clear enough, P95Carry gives some very good instructions in this thread: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=124810
Old June 16, 2005, 11:21 PM   #7
Rosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
It's quite simple Rosey, copy the text you want to quote...[snip]
Got it. thanks!
Old February 24, 2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Mal H
Administrator

Quote button missing?

It has been decided by a majority of the THR staff that the post quote button is being misused and abused here. Therefore, it has been removed from the posts within threads. On an historical note, the quote button has only been around about three months. It had been removed from the beginning, but we failed to remove it with the latest version of vBulletin.

There are numerous examples of members using the quote button to copy a long post just above theirs and add only a "+1". Some of the quoted posts even include fairly large photos which get posted more than once in a thread.

The bandwidth issue alone is good enough reason to do away with the button. Every unnecessary byte not sent out is money saved. Some threads with many quoted posts can literally double the transmission costs.

The arguments for keeping the button, such as "it makes it so much easier to quote someone", or "members should delete the text they don't need to quote" have all been heard before.

The former argument may be true, but is it really so hard to cut, paste, highlight and click on the quote button ( )? Taking a little effort to quote someone should make the quoted material more pertinent to the post; it will certainly discourage the lazy practice of quoting an entire post just so that a member can say he or she agrees with it.

The latter argument just isn't true. Members simply don't edit quotes derived with the quote button. It seems to be an all or none type of thing.

So please don't start a thread here asking for the quote button back, it won't happen. A poll where 90% of the members say they liked the button and it should be reinstated won't help. Folks, it's not a democracy here when it comes to the quote button - it's gone.

Quote tag usage from the FAQ's: http://www.thehighroad.org/misc.php?do=bbcode#quote

One of many threads explaining how to quote: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=143230
Old May 9, 2006, 08:58 AM   #9
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

Hi -

Two sizes to be aware of - physical size on screen in pixels - I suggest nothing much bigger than 640 x 480 approx size so folks don't have to scroll.

The file size - well I suspect you may not be checking file size. JPG compression can be slight or severe - tho the harder you compress the more can me lost on decompression.

Two suggestions - get Irfanview - freebie - http://www.irfanview.com - and use it to resize pics if necessary and also choose % compression, such that file gets compressed to a reasonable size.

To know sizes you must in your file manager (Win Explorer or my computer) select to view details - it helps too to have file extensions showing. If you size to around 640 x 480 then a mid range compression should yield a file of around 50k to 75k - a good size to try for.

To give an example - if the file comes out of camera as compressed 5:1 - quite common - it could be as big or bigger than 1 Mb - which means in pure bitmap form it is about 5Mb in memory. If resized it may still be 300k let's say - so further degree of compression needed and so if that is increased to a ratio of perhaps 15:1 then we get closer to the 50k region.

As long as you can see details and so file size, experiment to achieve what will work.

Old January 1, 2007, 01:13 PM   #10
raxafarian

What happened to the "quote" button that is built into the forum software? (Normally appears next to the 'edit' button)
Old January 1, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Larry Ashcraft

Take a look at the sticky thread in this same forum.
Old January 20, 2007, 12:44 AM   #12
Zundfolge

I posted this link in response to someone mentioning that they didn't know how to upload pics

http://www.alumbankweb.com/img_matte...attach_img.htm

well its out of date, the "Attach File" part of the "Additional Options" doesn't look anything like that anymore.

Forget "Going Galt" I say we "Go Danneskj÷ld"
| Imagine a world with no guns!
Old January 20, 2007, 05:28 PM   #13
P95Carry
Moderator Emeritus

OK - no time like the present - as I have nothing else to do LOL!

Attachments is now updated and just real simple to cover for those new to the software.

Old September 25, 2007, 05:48 PM   #14
ArfinGreebly

Just For Fun

When you're giving instructions, and you have to tell someone which vBulletin markup tags to use -- but you can't use the actual tag, because then it would simply be rendered rather than displayed, there's this:
[ NOPARSE ] [sometag]whatever text[/sometag] [ /NOPARSE ].
(Of course, the NOPARSE tags, like all other tags, won't work if there are spaces between the [ ] brackets, so my example has spaces to "break" the tag so you can see it.)

If you put a pair of those around an example, the example will just be displayed, instead of rendered.

Quote:
How to quote?
[QUOTE]Just put quoted text between 'QUOTE' tags, as shown here.[/QUOTE]

Bold? [B]Just put the bolded text between a pair of 'B' tags, like this.[/B]

Italics? [I]No problem; just enclose in a pair of 'I' tags, like this.[/I]
And you can INDENT text using
[INDENT]this pair.[/INDENT]

Anyway.

It's useful for showing someone how it's done -- without actually making it happen.

Now, if I could just figure out how to embed a picture, but show it as a thumbnail, linked to the full-sized picture, I'd be happy.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old September 25, 2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Mal H
Administrator

Arfin, in your first example, there's no need to put spaces in the noparse tags. Just use another set of noparse tags.

Like so:
[NOPARSE][NOPARSE] [sometag]whatever text[/sometag] [/NOPARSE][/NOPARSE]

(There are 3 sets of noparse used in that example so that you can see the other two sets ... now I'm confused!)

The noparse tag came along with a version that was installed after this thread was started.
Old September 25, 2007, 09:00 PM   #16
cavman

Quote:
It's quite simple Rosey
Quote:
=Mal H
It's quite simple Rosey

still needs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H
It's quite simple Rosey

Ha! got it! thanks

Last edited by cavman; September 25, 2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old September 25, 2007, 11:39 PM   #17
Mal H
Administrator

cavman, you placed the "=Mal H" outside of the quote tag brackets; it goes inside otherwise it just becomes part of the quoted text.

It'll look like this: [quote=Mal H]
Old October 9, 2007, 02:48 AM   #18
Matt-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArfinGreebly
Now, if I could just figure out how to embed a picture, but show it as a thumbnail, linked to the full-sized picture, I'd be happy.
I've done this by surrounding the image tag with URL tags, like so:

[URL=http://webhost.com/fullsize.jpg][IMG]http://webhost.com/thumbnail.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The second image is embedded in the post. Clicking on it takes you to the full-size version. This technique does require that you maintain both the thumbnail image and the full-size image on your web host.
Old November 8, 2007, 03:39 PM   #19
Pete409

I do it the simple way. Press and hold the left key on your mouse while you highlight (in blue) the material you want to quote. Then click "Edit" at the top of your browser. On the dropdown menu, select "Copy".

Then when you want to put it in your reply, place the flashing curser where you want the quote and click on "Edit" again and select "Paste".

That's all there is to it.
Old January 6, 2008, 09:43 PM   #20
ServiceSoon

hold ctrl and the letter c to copy
hold ctrl and the letter v to paste
Old January 16, 2008, 09:11 PM   #21
ReefBlue

Why is the quote button disabled in the first place?
Old January 16, 2008, 10:59 PM   #22
ArfinGreebly

Bandwidth

The "quote entire post" button was disabled for bandwidth reasons.

What happens is "people" (present company excepted) get lazy, hit the button, and quote way more than they need -- including attachments, photos -- creating a huge bandwidth hit on the server.

So, in order to make it even possible for our dialup members to participate -- and to keep bandwidth costs in line -- the "quote post" button had to go away.

Daughter: "Dad, how do I know who's a real friend?"
Me: "A friend is someone who cares how your life turns out."

"Truth is a dangerous thing: once found, you must never turn your back on it." -- gh@c2

"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe." -- gh@c2
Old January 29, 2008, 09:38 PM   #23
MikePGS

THR/Google Search Engine

I'm not sure how it works for you, but currently the search feature is giving me a good deal of difficulty as it does from time to time. In another thread a mod addressed not wanting to be affiliated with a commercial site (and thus declining to make a google search engine for the site), so I have taken the liberty of doing so for my own personal use. However, any of you are more than welcome to use it, and it can be found at:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=00...%3Ajuqp1cxyfxy
Old March 20, 2008, 04:09 PM   #24
scout26

Exclamation THR FAQs - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions - Please read before posting here.

First, be sure to check the official vBulletin FAQ's if your question concerns board features or functions: FAQ.

Here are the answers for the Technical Support Forum:

1. No, we don't do Avatars, and no, we won't. Even if you ask a million, billion times.

2. You didn't put your Location/State in your Buy/Sell/Trade thread title, that's why it disappeared.

3. Check the "Remember me" box when you login or THR will forget about you after ~20 minutes of idle time, and you will have to login again to post.

4. Posts in the Trading Post forums and Site Maintenance forums don't count toward your post total. If you don't contribute to the major forums, your post count will remain zero.

5. If you want to edit your posts, you better do it within four days or the edit button will disappear. If you want to edit your thread title, you have several hours to do that, not days. Press "Go Advanced" after you get to the edit screen.

6. Yes, Politics anywhere on the board will get your thread locked. We tried it, it got ugly and and cost us many members who got completely stupid when it came to political discussions. Plus it distracted from the main mission of THR. And NO, it's never, ever, ever, ever going to happen. Yes, even if hell freezes over.

7. You want an off-topic area ?? We've tried that in one form or the other and it has always failed miserably. APS ("Armed Polite Society") is nothing but off-topic discussions, and was spun off of THR in an attempt to provide for those not interested in just talking about firearms.

8. When you sign in, the Trading Post forums magically appear.

9. RTFM, aka the stickies at the top of this forum about Searching, Quoting, Photos and other Basic info about THR.

10. Still unhappy and want to close your account ?? No problem. Just stop visiting/posting.

Everyone is someone else's whack-job.

Perserverance is a virtue, unless you're an idiot.- Wes Janson

Last edited by Mal H; December 29, 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Removed item 11
Old June 8, 2008, 02:14 PM   #25
Mal H
Administrator

Posting pictures

This was shamelessly copied from OnTheFly's helpful Tech Support thread over at TFL.

Uploading a picture from your computer:

As long as the image you want to display fits the following restrictions...

bmp 97.7 KB
gif 97.7 KB
jpeg 244.1 KB
jpg 244.1 KB
pdf 390.6 KB
txt 170.9 KB

...then you can click the "Attachments" button () and upload the image. Use the "Browse" function to find the picture on your system. Press "Upload" after the picture file name is shown. Wait until the upload has completed, then close the Attachment window. Finally press the Submit button that is below the "Additional Options" box after all of your text and attachments are to your liking.

If you want to display the attachment as an image in your post, or any subsequent post, you need to place the attachment URL between the IMG tags. Right click on the attachment (either picture or filename) and copy the entire URL of the attachment from the Properties window. Edit your post, and paste that URL between the IMG tags where you want it to appear in your post. Use the "Insert image" button as explained below. The line in your post will look like this:
[IMG]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12345&d=1209564916[/IMG]

You can also use the ATTACH tags if you don't necessarily want your attachment to show up as an image. Copy the numerical attachmentid from the URL of your picture, and paste it between the attach tags like this:
[attach]12345[/attach]

You can locate and review all of your attachments by clicking on "Attachments" in the Miscellaneous section in your "User CP" (upper left menu item at the top of every page).

Using a picture from another internet site:

In order to display a high res photo, you need to store the photo off site (i.e., www.photobucket.com) or just find a photo on another website you would like to display in your post, but be sure it isn't copyrighted if you do. Then link to them in your post using the "Insert Image" () button. To use this button you just need to...
  1. Open the website where photo is displayed.
  2. Navigate to the image you would like to display in your post
  3. Right-click the desired image and select "Copy image location"
  4. While posting to TFL, click the "Insert Image" button ()
  5. Select or delete the entire text-box content (usually http://)
  6. Right click in the text box
  7. Select "Paste" from the menu
  8. Click "OK".
Closed Thread