Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 3 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 14, 2010, 10:37 AM   #51
MIL-DOT

(Quote) "Sure will be glad when my 642 comes in. I paid 430 out the door plus I will be getting the 50 rebate. How does that price compare to other places. I'm in East Alabama."

I just got mine new from CDNN for $349, plus about $43 in shipping and FFL tranfer, so about $392 total ( then minus $50 from the rebate).
I'm in West Georgia.
Old November 14, 2010, 01:45 PM   #52
DAdams

Welcome

Welcome to rromeo, (nice tacti-cool 642)
Motorcycle Charlie 19-3Ben and Manthony.

Seems alot of renewed interest (or thread discovery) in one of the greatest snubs ever made.

Regarding price of new X42s, I would surmise that over the last 3-4 years a bandwidth price (less rebates) would be $375-425? $418 for a 642 at Bud's now includes shipping and with the current $50 rebate...$369. That's 2005 prices. Less than what I paid 4 years ago.
Good price MIL-DOT! That CDNN is always tempting me with things I need to ignore.

While at Bud's I ran across this...

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/61699
M642 Pro in Stainless, Cut for Moonclips. That is interesting if I were in the market today I would probably bite on that.

Hello to rdrancher you have things in the western US under control? Ready for Winter.
Quote:
My worn and trusty 642 still rides along with me everyday, usually in an equally worn Mica round-cut.
Hey to JFH, everyone have a decent summer?

Quote:
Quite a man cave there DA. If I kept mine that neat my wife would be nagging me to straighten the closet
The Man Cave is not looking all that good right now. Winter is coming and I need to get it put back together and organized. There has been a bunch of rummaging this summer for camping trips and hikes that have left things in a state of disarray. I moved my main ammo stash into another another more sucure area of the basement where the safe is located. The loading consumables now take the completed ammo's place. I have a large capacity dehumidifier going in the "safe room" which also covers the loading zone.

Last edited by DAdams; November 14, 2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 02:36 PM   #53
DAdams

Holsters

When I first started reading about handgun carrying one of the (many) things that struck me were all the comments about boxes and closets full of holsters, tried and most of which weren't used. Upon looking at prices of a quality leather name brand holster I decided I would avoid that situation if at all possible.

My 642-2 was the first really pocketable revolver I invested in. I was pleased at the time to learn that a DeSantis Nemesis I bought for a Kahr PM9 was equally servicable for the 642 and that's where it rode until....the (Robert) Mika came on my scene. A few years ago it took months to get a Mika, and at the price how could you go wrong? The big decision was square cut or round cut? After the Mika roundcut arrived it easily replaced the DeSantis.
It remains to this day my pocket holster of choice for my two J Frames.
Cost disaster averted for pocket holters. Total investment $40 for two and one works for the Kahr.

I did pick up a Uncle Mikes IWB el inexpensivo to try out the IWB concept. It wasn't and to this day isn't a prefered carry method for me. I guess I just don't have pants with sufficient room to spare. I think that foam wonder was under $10. It is in use today and houses the 642 in a night stand drawer, effective, just not its intended purpose.

Well eventually you get the urge to get a "real" holster. OWB. Again I was more interested in trying the concept and wanting a decent holster, "just in case", because there is no doubt a X42 on the hip is lighter than in the pocket. Conditions in your State may vary. At the time I was living in FL so this exercise was more esoteric than anything else. I did a little research and someone on THR recommended the Blackhawk Speed Classic and I got a great deal for a leather holster from Optics Planet (a great place btw).
http://www.opticsplanet.net/leather-...rame-left.html
Another place I need to avoid like the plague....but can't seem to. To this day this holster can be had for $30 a great deal in my view, particurly if you don't plan to OWB a great deal but just want a nice IWB holster around just in case. Some day I would like a BBQ OWB but for now....

That's about it for my J Frame holster collection. The entire quest at under $100. Not bad and except the Blackhawk they all get used. Not in a box in the closet.

Uncle Mikes, Blackhawk, Mika Roundcut. The DeSantis was MIA at press time.

Here's a stock photo with the PM9 in the DeSantis and 642 in Mika. Basically interchangeable.

Here is a better view of the BH.

In the same vein, I have never purchased a "carry belt" before...but since I now live in an open carry State and the National Parks are now carry zones I thought a casual gear belt would be in order.

This thing is strong enough to be used as a "drag" belt and I bought it large enough to use it as a main belt or as a gear belt over a regular belt.
Wilderness Instructors Belt from Dillon Precision.

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...Belt_1_5_quot_

Dillon also has the SpeedStrip wallet I like.

Hope this report saves you some $$ and you find some of this gear to your liking.

Last edited by DAdams; November 14, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 03:31 PM   #54
DAdams

Carry Alternatives

Here are some carry method alternatives to the conventional.

Although I don't own one these they seem to get high marks from some, including our own jt1. Who has two X42s, one in each pocket.

Smart Carry

Safe Packer

I don't own one of these, but I like the concept. Looks like an I Pad in your hand.

Here is a Safepacker option for waist carry.

Of course there are many "man bags" or fanny packs. This was an experiment I tried using a Nite Ize product. Suitable for certain States and situations, this wouldn't be a bad National Park carry method.

Rain hood/cover the "gear" and very fast retrieval.

Here is my latest gear bag with provisions for CCW. Maxpedition Sitka.

I've been wanting to try some Maxpedition products and on a recent day hike in the Smokys I decided it was time to try one out. At the time I had a "man purse" with a BERSA Thunder .380 (I know, I know 10 rounds of .380 vs 5 .38 spl plus P) positioned in rug which was ok but I wanted something with more day gear space, and with quick CC access.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...nger-2p926.htm

Last edited by DAdams; November 14, 2010 at 03:50 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 04:44 PM   #55
BamaUmp

CDNN?
Old November 14, 2010, 05:26 PM   #56
BamaUmp

I'm rather undecided on the need to carry extra ammo in speed strips or speed loaders. I see many post saying its a must and some seem to think it unnecessary. To be honest I probably wont carry full time. I'm gassing up at 3am often in various states and feel this is when I will usually pocket carry. I also have a NAA mini but thats another topic altogether.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:37 PM   #57
DAdams

Don't Say

Quote:
CDNN?
I didn't warn you. CDNN Sports.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

At the price of a Speedstrip or Speedloader it's probably not a bad idea. I like the Bianchi Strips personally. No bulk, flat, flexible. Do the jt1 split, two on each end and one space left open. Allows for the fastest install of four, two at a time, and back in action....if need be. $7.49 plus shipping for a pair.
Here is another great website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#spe..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Another is Brownell's

http://www.brownells.com/

Well there you go....you asked for it.
Old November 14, 2010, 06:38 PM   #58
19-3Ben

GOT IT!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!!

Do holsters with strap retention made for traditional hammered j frames work with the 642, or does the hump get in the way?
Old November 14, 2010, 08:33 PM   #59
BamaUmp

So at the very least I need to order a round cut mika pocket holster. Kinda working with a budget this time of year . I do like the look of the blackhawk iwb. How comfortable would it be while driving if f I took the 642 out of it. For my job I have to drive up to 600 miles while only stopping for gas breaks.
Old November 14, 2010, 09:06 PM   #60
rdrancher

Quote:
Hello to rdrancher you have things in the western US under control? Ready for Winter.
Ready as ever, big D! A divorce this year and slow construction work led to a healthy (?) thinning of the herd. Hard as it was, I had to sell most of my meager collection to stay afloat. I kept my 642, Vintage Charter Arms Undercover, Mossberg Shotty, Mossin Nagant M44, Mauser, my first firearm purchase .22 rifle and hardware store .410.

Times will get better and the herd will prosper too. Plus, I have a boat-load of 9mm and .45 ACP stashed and ready.

Holsters for the little j-frame and Charter are as follows. From muzzle clockwise... Mika round-cut, DM Bullard, Mika square-cut, Inexpensive and very concealable clip IWB, Galco con1588 and a modified De Santis 001. Sorry for the cellphone pic.

A typical day finds the 642 nestled in the Mika round-cut or De Santis. On cold days when weather dictates adorning my ranch coat, an excellent RKBA inside-the-breast-pocket leather holster (not shown) secures the mighty j-frame. Diane's Speedstrip carrier (shown) is always present in a front pocket, and multiple Speedloaders are planted in various locations at home and in the truck. Since I am more likely to encounter vermin of the four-legged variety in my local, carry rounds are 148gr. SWC's. The .22 and 12 gauge sit ready behind the seat (just in case.)

rd

Last edited by rdrancher; November 14, 2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 10:42 PM   #61
DAdams

Error

BamaUmp Blackhawk is OWB not IWB my error. I wouldn't recommend it as a driving holster.

Congrats Ben!! Now get down to some serious dry firing.

Seems like the conclusion and consensus we came to some years back on driving and holster carrying was a cross draw technique for right handers. I would want something with loop snaps for ease of on/off and the ability to cant forward slightly. jt1 how did your driving holster turn out? I think you were working on one.

IIRC corectly this was a method and holster that had all the appropriate attributes.

http://www.activeprogear.com/model17.html

Here is another possibility but the theme remains.

http://www.ccwsupply.biz/RossM23SPAGE.htm

A little different approach.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4717495_carr...e-driving.html

A THR thread from the past...

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=323950

Last edited by DAdams; November 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old November 14, 2010, 11:26 PM   #62
Nematocyst

Wow. I leave for a few hours and we're on page 3 already.

Zoom zoom.

Is this a great revolver or what?

Congrats, Ben.

Great info from RD and the MSAA, too.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old November 14, 2010, 11:59 PM   #63
jt1

Part III ?...(Hey Brian...I'm still not over the transition to part II...how about that sticky?)Keeping stickies to a minimum, edit by Brian

Anyway...

Hey DA great holster primer

And all the others...but the best I have found so far is Mika.

I have two loyal friends...Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson.
Old November 15, 2010, 12:06 AM   #64
Nematocyst

And JT makes his appearance in partie trois.

Dude, is that a drop holster with a x42 in it?

Where can I get one?

Old November 15, 2010, 12:39 AM   #65
jt1

DA - The driving holster turned out OK, but I found it to be of limited use...turns out the cross draw holster is hard to conceal, and I think it is just inherently unstable for a short barrel. It may be OK for winter but I dislike things that are not completely serviceable. I am currently looking at ankle holsters...might be the best of both worlds...good for sit down draw and as a backup to the mika...

Comments/reviews on ankle holsters?

Here is my review of the APG M17 from part 1...
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?...postcount=4818

Quote:
Dude, is that a drop holster with a x42 in it?
Nem - I made that one as a pocket holster with a belt strap to carry a M60 and see if it would transfer the weight to the belt..it did a good job but still not as good as a mika/x42 combo...funny you should mention the drop holster...I have thought a few times about putting a leg strap on it for the field...If you're not in a hurry I can make one for you

Old November 15, 2010, 01:24 AM   #66
BamaUmp

Has anyone ever bought ammo from Georgia Arms? Seem to have some good prices especially on target ammo and as it seems about an hour from me.

http://georgia-arms.com/index.aspx
Old November 15, 2010, 11:17 AM   #67
DAdams

BamaUmp

The ankle holster might be a driving alternative.

GA Arms has been around quite awhile and I haven't heard a bad thing about them and their ammo. You might want to Google them and see what comes up.

jt1 who manufactured your EBR or is it a frankenrifle? .223?

Hope you don't mind me posting your double whammy aka NY Backup?
Old November 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #68
BamaUmp

I will Google them. Not sure how I have never heard of them and they are a little over an hours drive away. I havent seen even crappy range ammo for 11.50 anywhere else.
Old November 15, 2010, 01:50 PM   #69
jt1

Quote:
who manufactured your EBR
DA - DPMS lower/ DEL-TON RKT104 kit

As for ankle holsters:
Maybe this one by Lou ...still in production

Old November 15, 2010, 02:14 PM   #70
BamaUmp

Also trying to find more info on a place called Alabama Ammo. No website but I have found several posts about very good quality and low prices.
Old November 15, 2010, 06:31 PM   #71
gordy

First time on part three.

I had a friend of mine(gunsmith) do a action job on my 642, worth every one of those 12 cans of beer.
I like the JBP inside the pants holster I got from cheaper than dirt.
I have a blackhawk size 3 that works great in the front pocket and a Galco belt holster for on the range. I use speed strips.
No red dots on my 642.
Thinking about having it magna ported.
A man who will resist an officer with weapons has no respect for the rules by which decent people are governed. He is a outlaw who has no place in world society. His removal is completly justified, and should be accomplished dispassionatly and without regret.
Bill Jordan, No second place winner,1965
Old November 15, 2010, 07:03 PM   #72
TheProf

Does this holster for a 642 exist? I'm thinking of an IWB holster where the clip is high enough so that the gun is at or below the belt line. I'm thinking of carrying my 642 Appendix style IWB.
4. Be proud to be an American.
Old November 15, 2010, 09:04 PM   #73
Nematocyst

Quote:
Nem - I made that one as a pocket holster with a belt strap to carry a M60 and see if it would transfer the weight to the belt..it did a good job but still not as good as a mika/x42 combo...funny you should mention the drop holster...I have thought a few times about putting a leg strap on it for the field...If you're not in a hurry I can make one for you
Thanks for clarifying, JT.

I can see what you did now. Very cool.

As for drop holster for the 642, thanks very much for the kind offer. I'm not sure I really want one, though, for the 642. I was mostly curious. After I thought about it for a bit, it doesn't make quite as much sense for the airweight.

I hope some day to get a drop holster for my 3" 65, but that may be a ways off.

Old November 15, 2010, 10:57 PM   #74
scottishclaymore

Alright, time for me to get off of my sorry butt and post some pictures.

Below is a picture of my well-used 642 and its accompanying gear.

Two Tuff speedstrips, two HKS speedloaders, and an assortment of holsters. Starting at the top and working my way over, the top holster is an OWB holster I use when wearing a jacket or coat. It's a DeSantis I picked up in an old holster bin somewhere and I removed the retention straps to make it open-top. Next is a Don Hume IWB holster that has proven to be one of the most comfortable IWB holsters I have ever worn. Finally there is a DeSantis Nemesis that has been serviceable enough for pocket carry, though after reading through three iterations now of the 642 Club, I am wanting to get ahold of a Mika pocket holster. Finally there at the bottom is a SmartCarry. That particular one is actually a loaner, but I think I'm liking it well enough to get my own - and a second 642 to go with it.

And my daily carry loadout:

The knife is a S&W. It wasn't expensive and it's very beat up, but it's still solid as a rock and hefty enough to double as a boat anchor.

Executive Editor, The Excelsior Training Group.
Old November 16, 2010, 12:18 PM   #75
Big_John1961
Contributing Member

Hey all,

I just picked up a new 442 on Saturday, so I guess I'm a member of this club. I have read a ton of the posts from the first two threads and the amount of info in them is remarkable. I settled on the 442 due the the subdued finish. A little less conspicuous and a little more stealthy. This is my second Smith revolver (686).

I also own two Seecamps, a .32 & .380, which had been my primary carry guns prior to this. So far I'm very pleased with this little revolver. It feels great in the hand. The only changes I'm contemplating is picking up a set of Hogue Bantam grips and of course a holster. Other than that, I'm just dry firing and getting used to the DA trigger. Right now it's loaded with Speer 135gr Gold Dots.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet, but soon. Look forward to participating in this thread.

Cheers.