Quantcast
642 Club Part Three - Page 7 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Revolvers

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old December 1, 2010, 04:54 PM   #151
M.Cunningham

New to the club

Here is my contribution, just got my new 642 last week. I had one once before and sold it, just had to have another one! I'll never be selling this one! Galco IWB holster, love that new leather smell!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smith642.jpg (264.4 KB, 231 views)
Old December 1, 2010, 06:34 PM   #152
motorcycle-charlie

Question Question for mika pocket holster owners

Recieved my Mika pocket holster today. immediately swapped it out with the Blackhawk i have been wearing. the Mika is noticeably more comfortable. My question is about the draw. when you draw from this holster, do you put your hand IN the holster and get full contact with the gun? with my Blackhawk my trigger finger is on the outside of the holster when i draw. with the Mika, it has to be inside, to get a full grip without having to re adjust position. i dont have a problem with this as with the reinforced mouth it looks like this may be just a smart design. let me know what you Mika owners think about this.
Old December 1, 2010, 08:56 PM   #153
DAdams

Welcome M.Cunningham

Great photo. Don't let this one get away!! I can almost smell the wood and leather.

Who had the best price on the holster?
Old December 2, 2010, 01:42 AM   #154
Nematocyst

I nominate M. Cunningham for best club photo of the year.

Welcome in.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Relevant story.

I recently (months ago) move across the continent
after my business failed on the left coast.
(Glad to be away from there. Another story.)

Left my 642, 65, 336, and 39 out there.
(Because I moved here in a backpack and duffel bag.)

Since being here, in upper New England,
I've faced two situations where I wished I had my 642.

Sooner than later, I'll have them shipped out.

Carry on.

PS: I'm now in the 10k club.

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old December 2, 2010, 10:56 AM   #155
DAdams

MC

Quote:
Question for mika pocket holster owners
That's going to depend on the pocket I think. I tried with today's (small right hand pocket in some Columbia cargos) attire and if I were going to do a quick draw I might have to regrip. Under no circumstances though would I put my finger(s) in the holster. A) It is too tight B) It could be asking for a premature withdraw discharge.
In some larger pockets I am able to get a sufficient grip; index finger along side the holster and come out clean with a high grip and no repositioning necessary.

You may want to pickup (add) a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster and have something that may be more appropriate to the pants pocket. They are relatively inexpensive and like most all holsters there is not one that is appropriate for all occassions.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:33 AM   #156
DAdams

Nem

Quote:

Congrats on your 10k posts.

And yes, you better get those shootin irons out to the East Coast. I fein troubled times ahead.
Old December 2, 2010, 11:44 AM   #157
motorcycle-charlie

Gun Sits Too Deep In MIKA?

it almost seems like my gun sits about a half inch too deep in the Mika. my fingers hit the holster before i can get a proper grip on the gun. went back to using my Blackhawk for now untill i get this figured out. i have a S&W 442 with an 1-7/8 barrel. seems like a 2-1/8 or even 2-1/2 barrel would fit perfectly. any one else have this issue?
Old December 2, 2010, 01:02 PM   #158
DAdams

642 in a Mika Roundcut

Here is how mine lines up. Due to the way it is lying it actually might be 1/8 inch higher (further out) than when vertical in the pocket.

Covers the trigger and guard as it should.

Can you post a couple pictures with the X42 in the holster?

Did you put try raising it slightly in the holster with a temporary spacer to see how it feel/works?

Actually you are the first Mika user I have heard with an issue. Is yours roundcut or square?

Perhaps your holster isn't right or perhaps you are not accustomed to it yet. I'm sure that if it is out of specification Robert will address your concerns. You may want to call him as he is readily available by phone and has made thousands of these holsters.

There are many other pocket holsters out there too that may be more to your liking.
Old December 2, 2010, 03:29 PM   #159
JoeH

It appears the design has changed. I got mine about a month ago. My 442 sits much deeper than yours. I also had to trim it in front of the CT button. It was more sqaure and very ubcomfortable

Old December 2, 2010, 04:20 PM   #160
M.Cunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAdams View Post
Great photo. Don't let this one get away!! I can almost smell the wood and leather.

Who had the best price on the holster?
I just got it in the gunshop when I recieved the gun, it was $65.
Old December 2, 2010, 04:23 PM   #161
M.Cunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nematocyst View Post
I nominate M. Cunningham for best club photo of the year.

Welcome in.

Smoke 'em if you've got 'em.

Relevant story.

I recently (months ago) move across the continent
after my business failed on the left coast.
(Glad to be away from there. Another story.)

Left my 642, 65, 336, and 39 out there.
(Because I moved here in a backpack and duffel bag.)

Since being here, in upper New England,
I've faced two situations where I wished I had my 642.

Carry on.

Thanks a lot!
Old December 2, 2010, 07:34 PM   #162
motorcycle-charlie

Gun sits too low in MIKA.

this is the Mika and the Blackhawk. the Blackhawk allows for a nice full grip with the trigger finger outside the holster and no need to readjust after the draw. with the Mika, my fingers are blocked by the backside of the holster because the gun sits too low inside it. i cannot get a full grip on the gun unless i put my hand and trigger finger INSIDE the holster. the front high part also blocks my hand when reaching for the gun. i am trying to like the MIKA, but it makes my gun almost inaccesable in a swift manner. i just think this is a case of "what works for some people doesnt work for everyone." it also appears to me that the design has changed slightly from the ones produced a while ago. look at the stitching around the mouth compared to an older one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1202101727.jpg (207.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_1202101728.jpg (20.3 KB, 33 views)
Old December 2, 2010, 08:52 PM   #163
Camjr

The newer Mika's do seem to be deeper than mine (made April 2008 based on Robert's note inside the holster)--I'd say about 1/2" - 3/4". Mine looks like DAdams' Mika.

Cheers!
Old December 2, 2010, 09:38 PM   #164
DAdams

Mika Continued

It appears that perhaps the Mika's with more "shroud" would be appropriate to a revolver/J Frame with a hammer?

I wouldn't hesitate to contact Robert and talk to him about this or drop him an email, he has a "contact us" email address. I'm sure he will work with you to the point of complete satisfaction.

He is on the West Coast so take into account the time difference.
Old December 3, 2010, 12:52 PM   #165
motorcycle-charlie

Smile Mika update

I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low. he thinks something got mixed up and that holster was made for a longer barrel j-frame. he is going to make me a new one and send it out right away. i am very pleased with his communication and he sounds like a really nice guy and someone easy to do buisness with. in my opinion, great customer service goes a long way. it is also nice to see people that are passionate about the products they produce and want them to function the way they are intended.
Old December 3, 2010, 01:49 PM   #166
DAdams

Membership Has

Its Privileges....

Quote:
I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low
Benefit from sharing information.
Old December 3, 2010, 06:14 PM   #167
Nematocyst

Mr. Robert Mika, as an owner of one of your fine holsters, and a long-standing member of this club, I sincerely thank you for being the person that you are. What superb customer service, to read about a problem with one of your holsters on the Internet and contact the customer about it.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

We are very glad that you are along for the ride with us here.

Other holster manufacturers (and gun makers, too) should take note.

Nem

Blades, Levers, Sticks & Wheels
Old December 4, 2010, 04:07 AM   #168
BamaUmp

Good customer service is hard to find these days.
Old December 4, 2010, 09:46 AM   #169
JoeH

I also talked to Mr. Mika. Super nice guy. He is sending me a newholster.

He also took the time to help me with questions about a holster for my Glock 26.

I will be definitely ordering from him again
Old December 4, 2010, 12:04 PM   #170
motorcycle-charlie

thats great to hear JoeH. it seems Mr. Mika is really dedicated to his buisness and his customers. alot of people in the 642 club have his products and love them. positive word of mouth from the guys who wear his holster every day is the best form of advertising for a small buisness owner, and the fact that you can talk directly to the man who produces them really takes the personality of each holster to the next level. its good stuff.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:48 AM   #171
rdrancher

Quote:
I talked to Robert Mika today. he actually contacted me after he saw my post about the gun sitting too low.
Quote:
I also talked to Mr. Mika. Super nice guy. He is sending me a newholster.
Yes indeed, Robert Mika is a rare breed in this make-a-quick-buck world we live in.

rd
Old December 5, 2010, 11:09 PM   #172
BamaUmp

A little off topic but I've been considering putting together a SIMPLE go bag. I'm not really a SHTF kinda guy but I do travel often. Sometimes several hundred miles over the course of any given night. I try to stay on interstates but sometimes I have to take roads that are even sometimes unpaved and in the middle of no where. I want some ideas on a simple go bag to maybe keep in the truck with me.

I live in a fairly rural area in Alabama so my get the crap away from everyone is only about 5 min from my residence. Its also an 80 acre farm so I'm not looking for ideas about having a truck load of stuff to take with me anywhere. Just a simple plan for a small go bag, ideas for a bag are appreciated as well.

Last edited by BamaUmp; December 5, 2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old December 6, 2010, 01:40 AM   #173
Gato MontÚs

Alloy Frame Finish?

I'm sure it's been addressed, but my internet foo is weak, thus I turn to the great wizards of the 642 Club!

Have any of the alloy frames on the Airweights been anodized from the factory. My understanding is that aluminum (alloy) will not rust, but can erode, usually due to salt deposits. Or is the only protection on the 642 that crappy clear coat that seems to always want to peel off.

Rimfire, Rimfire ▄ber Alles!!!
Old December 6, 2010, 07:35 AM   #174
308win

Go strategies and tactics

Quote:
A little off topic but I've been considering putting together a SIMPLE go bag.
If there is one of these threads at S&T there are dozens.

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown
Old December 6, 2010, 10:28 AM   #175
DAdams

Bug Out

Here is a quick Google seach and oh what fun....

http://www.google.com/search?source=...=2&oq=bug+out+

I have three different scenario bags, and they even change seasonally.

Not to get to far afield but I prefer somthing that can be put on the back. A BOB so to speak doesn't appeal to me for treks more than a mile or so max. Hence I look more to backpacks and maybe a lighter backpack that can go to frontpack for easy access, (handgun).

I am working up a new one as we speak based on a new Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger. It's smaller than it looks so I am concentrating on very lightweight and a minimalist approach and can become a front pack.

I found a nice inexpenisive framed backpack on sale at Dicks last year to use as a possible BOB.
I too travel quite a bit but in a mid size SUV. I put my necessaries in a cooler (you pick the size), that way I can move it in and out easily to free up space, I then keep the backpack, unpacked but in the vehicle for ease of storage, but if necessary I can take out what I need from the cooler if I have to bail and put it in the backpack.

Last edited by DAdams; December 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM.