Quantcast
The Consolidated 1911 Clinic Thread - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old January 24, 2004, 06:16 PM   #1
Kaylee

The Consolidated 1911 Clinic Thread

In the interest of cleaning out the top of the forum, all our 1911 Clinic threads are consolidated here. To all who contributed to this fantastic body of knowledge -- THANK YOU!!!

(and feel free to do the same for other guns )

1911 Homestyle Trigger Job

1911 Trigger Job Clinic Part 1 the Hammer

1911 trigger Job Clinic Part 2 SEAR

1911 Trigger Job Clinic Part 3 Disconnector

1911 Trigger Job Clinic Part 4 The trigger

1911 Clinic. The barrel link

1911 Detail Strip (Series 70)

1911 Detail Strip (Series 80)

1911 Quick-Fixes

1911 Clinic: Troubleshooting

1911 Clinic - Frames and Slides

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...threadid=82587

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...threadid=83753

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...hreadid=108838

Hammer and Sear Angle Thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=132013

Again -- THANK YOU to all who've posted this wonderful contribution to our collective knowledge base!

-K

Last edited by 1911Tuner; April 11, 2005 at 10:45 AM.
Old June 20, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2
1911carrier

I have minor hammer bite with my RIA 1911 .45. Will changing the recoil spring to a slightly stronger one decrease this?
Old January 4, 2009, 10:37 PM   #3
ppcgm

The hammer is digging a hole in the fat part of your hand between your thumb and your trigger finger ? Replace the grip safety with one of the beavertail types that shields your hand from the hammer. If you're still getting bit, try a Commander style hammer. My 1935's used to do that to me until I bobbed the hammers on them.
Old March 16, 2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Onemoretime

Which beavertail is best for the RIA 1911? I don't want there to be any space between the frame and beavertail. I don't mind doing the blending I just want there to be enough metal so I don't have to do any welding.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:54 AM   #5
ElmerThudd

Thanks for consolidating these, I was looking for one of the above threads and couldn't find it but managed to find it here

Much appreciated for the work.
Old January 26, 2010, 03:33 PM   #6
DuncanSA

Thanks

Gentlemen: As a fairly recent Colt series 70 pistol owner, I thank you all for a most informative thread that has gone a long way in clarifying how these guns really work.

I am still getting to grips with shooting my new pistol (well, not really new as it was one of a batch made at Hartford in 1980) but am getting there!
Old January 4, 2011, 07:45 AM   #7
lasershot

I had problem with feed, and everybody blamed it on the ramp, while actually it was a problem with the extractor. I found the solution myself tanks to the THR and old threads like this.
Old July 27, 2011, 05:51 AM   #8
ugly bob

Hi, I have recently bought a 1911 at a gun show that was literally "chopped" it's got a colt slide on a caspian frame. The slide used to be a gov't size until some "gunsmith" chopped it down to be around 1 1/4" shorter. It seems that the frame is smaller in the grip (same size as my 3" kimber cdp II) and is 3/16" shorter in length than a gov't. frame. I'm wondering if the caspian frame could be rescued to make a better pistol as it looks to be unmodified. Could it be used for a commander-sized slide or anything at all? If you like I'll post some pictures and go into further detail on some of the atrocities the gunsmith performed on this 1911. I'd appreciate any help 'cause I could use it.