Quantcast
Be on the lookout for stolen guns - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 19, 2011, 12:19 AM   #1
CelticArmory

Be on the lookout for stolen guns

My neighbor got burglarized and had a bunch of firearms stolen. This is a list that he gave me to spread the word on. They were taken in the predawn hours on 10/17/2011 in Port Orchard, WA. They took his whole safe (cheap walmart kind), a couple more from his bedroom (missed the two in the living room), all his wife's jewelry and a computer. Ignored all the electronics. He's sure he knows who it was and that they had been to his place before. His very protective dog did nothing.

Taurus Mod. 2-850021 .38spl snub-nosed revolver, blued, SN. MI78392
Ruger Vaquero .44mag single action revolver, stainless, SN 55-60033
Remington 870 Express, 12ga, parkerized, SN W707318M
Winchester 94 Ranger, .44mag lever rifle, SN 28910
Traditions Buckhunter, .50 Muzzle loader, SN 00-48-32333
Ruger LCP, .380 acp, blued, SN 374-84491
Colt Trooper MkIII, .357mag revolver, blued, SN J85928
Ruger P94, 9mm pistol, brushed nickel, SN 30830038
Colt M1911, .45acp, Commercial Model CA1953 (No NS Provided)
Italian? 36 Navy double action revolver, black, SN x1315
Remington 1148, 12ga semi-auto shotgun (No NS Provided)
Norinco MAK-90, 7.62x39, (No NS Provided)
Stevens Model 44, .22lr, blued (No NS Provided)
Winchester 91 (cir. 1942), 30-30, blued, (No NS Provided)
Universal M1 Carbine, 30 Carbine, (No NS Provided)
Winchester 255, .22lr lever action rifle, (No NS Provided)
Unknown .22 single shot bolt action rifle

Not sure how many Washington folk are on here, but spread the word. These may be headed to a pawn shop anywhere.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:23 AM   #2
nccavediver

May the thieves rot in shell.
Old October 19, 2011, 02:57 AM   #3
OARNGESI

Of course now the thieves may know that he cant report certain guns stolen
Old October 19, 2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Not sure how many Washington folk are on here, but spread the word. These may be headed to a pawn shop anywhere.
Only if the thieves are idiots or have very good fake government identification required for pawning in Washington, which isn't likely. The burglar(s) isn't taking these guns to a pawn shop. If they do go to a pawn shop, they will be spotted by the cops who run the pawn tickets.

The notion that pawn shops is where all the stolen property goes is a very out of date cliche. Most of the time when stolen items end up in pawn shops, they end up there because the items were sold to somebody else first who did not know they were stolen and they ended up pawning just like they would pawn any of their other items.

Sadly, by putting out notice, if said notice makes it to pawn brokers, they will then not accept said guns into pawn and hence such a list is counterproductive to recovery. Knowingly accepting stolen property is illegal. Not only that, the pawn brokers risk losing the money they spent on the items as well as the items and so knowingly accepting stolen goods is a lose lose lose situation for them.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; October 19, 2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Psa1m144

Wow that is terrible, I live about 15min away from port orchard. I will keep my eyes and ears open.
Psalm 144:1
Old October 19, 2011, 10:07 AM   #6
steelerdude99

Was your safe bolted to the floor? A bolted down safe will not be impossible to remove, but it will take time.

chuck
Old October 19, 2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Bubbles

The ATF maintains a list of all FFL's at http://www.atf.gov/about/foia/ffl-list.html.

You will want to distribute the list of stolen guns to all Type 01, 02, 07, and 10's in the area. The dealer type is in the 4th column from the left.

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank
Old October 19, 2011, 12:52 PM   #8
CelticArmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerdude99 View Post
Was your safe bolted to the floor? A bolted down safe will not be impossible to remove, but it will take time.

chuck
It wasn't my safe, but my neighbor's. It was one of those cheap walmart thin steel ones. It wasn't bolted down because he was rearranging things in his house and was planning on bolting it but didn't get around to it.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #9
Dnaltrop

Ugh... Suggest a dummy safe half filled with cement and silverware from goodwill, and placing his future safes behind a false wall, with the bait safe there to draw attention.

Used to zip tie shoplifters to the Balcony and wait for security to find them on their own, at least till my Sheriff buddies warned me quietly that I was risking a kidnapping charge doing so.

Anyone else for a return to the Pillory instead of 5 hours in jail and being released?

$250 bucks and a Smartphone also would be a wise investment for anyone here

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11613604 120 days of continuous recording, 4 cameras simultaneously, not in cycle. View anywhere you have a net connection.

www.ednf.org
Old October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
wannabeagunsmith

I live in WA. Will keep a look-out.
Old October 19, 2011, 09:10 PM   #11
Gunnerboy

well according to the mexican government your guns are probably down there now, but according to what i know about our state id venture to say that local gang wanna be children are carrying the handguns and for the longguns more than likely pawnshops or gunshows. ill keep an eye out.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:12 PM   #12
KennyTHX

Well, I live in Washington, so I'll keep this in mind but I doubt I'll run into any of them.

I would check out things like the Penny Press or Thrifty Nickle.

Don't pawn shops automatically submit the serial number of firearms to the local authorities to compare to stolen weapons reports before they purchase them? I know that there's pawn shop officers that audit stuff in pawn shops once there's a claim, but I think there's an extra layer of "You'd have to be stupid" to try to sell them at a pawn shop.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:04 PM   #13
CelticArmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyTHX View Post
Well, I live in Washington, so I'll keep this in mind but I doubt I'll run into any of them.

I would check out things like the Penny Press or Thrifty Nickle.

Don't pawn shops automatically submit the serial number of firearms to the local authorities to compare to stolen weapons reports before they purchase them? I know that there's pawn shop officers that audit stuff in pawn shops once there's a claim, but I think there's an extra layer of "You'd have to be stupid" to try to sell them at a pawn shop.
Anytime we get stuff in for our auction I always run the numbers through a couple of sites. I've listed the SNs on one site and need to buy an account at the other site so I can list them there. I'm sure pawn shops will run the numbers too.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Powderman

Pawn shops in WA State are required to submit the serial numbers to LE for a stolen item check.

One place to keep an eye on is www.northwestfirearms.com

It is a forum where guns are bought and sold in the Pacific NW. The board--and most of the folks on it--are good people, and follow the law. There is always the chance, however, of someone moving guns on the QT.
Old October 20, 2011, 01:24 AM   #15
Dnaltrop

+1 for the NW firearms site, don't go there often as I'm too dang chatty here as it is, but cover ALL your bases, someone might see one and give you a good breadcrumb to follow.

Well then, you appear to have already done so. Nevermind

www.ednf.org
Old October 20, 2011, 12:04 PM   #16
CelticArmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderman View Post
Pawn shops in WA State are required to submit the serial numbers to LE for a stolen item check.

One place to keep an eye on is www.northwestfirearms.com

It is a forum where guns are bought and sold in the Pacific NW. The board--and most of the folks on it--are good people, and follow the law. There is always the chance, however, of someone moving guns on the QT.
I have the same post there as well as waguns.org and westernwashingtonfirearms.com. I was banned from seattleguns.net because of stupid BS from the first owner and they aren't reversing that so I've already asked people to post it there too. I've also listed them on Hotguns.com and I'm going to buy a membership at stolenweapon.com and list them there too.
Old October 20, 2011, 06:31 PM   #17
click clack

Wow. Took some balls to break in that place...
Old October 21, 2011, 03:45 AM   #18
Kiln

Quote:
Originally Posted by click clack View Post
Wow. Took some balls to break in that place...
It'd take a pair to break into mine too. If I'm home when you break in you can bet on your body weight going up by a few grains.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:01 PM   #19
Nutbustd

So sorry to hear that. Nothing beats a good LARGE commercial safe that weighs 3/4 to 1 ton!! You just don't pick them up and carry them away. I am sure if 3 or 4 men want it that much people will figure a way to steal it. Hope you get them back. Rotten sob's for stealing a man's firearms.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:46 PM   #20
Owen Sparks

A visable safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.
Old October 23, 2011, 11:51 PM   #21
Bubbles

Quote:
A visable safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.
And just how the heck will the MG42 and 1919 fit back there?

Tank Vest - Molle Vest for Your Motorcycle Gas Tank
Old October 24, 2011, 11:38 AM   #22
Amb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
And just how the heck will the MG42 and 1919 fit back there?
With this
Old October 25, 2011, 12:11 PM   #23
barnetmill

Quote:
A visible safe is an open invitation to thieves. The safest safe is one nobody knows about. Bolt it to the floor in a cubby hole behind the refrigerator where no thief will see it.
The problem with such arrangements is that the guns are hard for you to access. I am thinking of using one hidden safe for storage and another for my day to day working guns and perhaps a visible light wt safe of say 200 pounds filled with sand bags and steel rebar for the thieves to cart off.
Old November 4, 2011, 11:26 AM   #24
robinkevin

Every now and then I see posts on Armslist asking people to be on the lookout since the first thing they will try to do is sell them. Personally I don't think Armslist is well known enough for it to be the first place for someone to try selling stolen guns, think they would try pawn shop but then again LE usually checks those...

Anyhow I may suggest that neighbor or yourself on his behalf post on there. There is a link in my siggy to the site.
Old November 5, 2011, 09:24 PM   #25
slpcrf450x

we recently bought a safe that the weight broke the stairs getting it into the basement!
you are not going to carry that thing out without breaking it lose from the cement (bolted down) and then some how lifting that fat pig back up the stairs...