Quantcast
Be on the lookout for stolen guns - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old November 6, 2011, 07:33 PM   #26
FIVETWOSEVEN

Quote:
And just how the heck will the MG42 and 1919 fit back there?
At first I thought it was guns you owned, then it hit me.
Why are we allowed to own cars that can go over 100 MPH? Who, besides the military and police, needs to have a race car? Many people die each year from race cars, we don't have a need such high powered cars so they should be banned. Those that own race cars think that they are Vin Diesel and are dangerous to society.
Old November 8, 2011, 02:46 AM   #27
Tzvi

No Stranger to Gun Theft Where I Live

Stealing guns is unfortunately, one of the many things people steal to use in crimes. Here, a popular gun store was robbed. The perpetrator(s) took mainly small caliber handguns, and a few rifles. Security cameras weren't able to pick up images in the dim light. The guns haven't been taken off the streets yet. It is a shame.
Old November 8, 2011, 06:37 AM   #28
HOWARD J

I have a monitored burglar alarm--they will have to work fast to get my safe out
before the cops get there.
lots of luck fellas.
The local gun shop was robber ( daytime) They got 90 guns--they set bldg. on fire with owner tied to chair---Local savages got life in prison but not one gun was recovered.
Old November 9, 2011, 12:45 AM   #29
Lo8080

Quote:
The local gun shop was robber ( daytime) They got 90 guns--they set bldg. on fire with owner tied to chair---Local savages got life in prison but not one gun was recovered.
Just speculating but i doubt robbery was the motive if they went to that extreme.
Old November 10, 2011, 02:39 PM   #30
liferider

My brother-in-law who is a local Circut Judge was telling me about an article he read, more and more stolen articles are comming up for sale on Craig's List. It has become much more popular than Pawn shops for theives! Also on BIG money objects on Craig's list, thieves are looking at what's out there to get & where it's at.
Old November 10, 2011, 07:31 PM   #31
CelticArmory

My neighbor's insurance company is going to replace his firearms, but no word yet if anyone has been arrested for it or if any firearms have been recovered.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:57 AM   #32
robinkevin

Sadly many guns hold sentimental value that can not be replaced...
Old November 11, 2011, 11:51 PM   #33
HOWARD J

@lo8080
Robbery was the motive--these were the local savages 16-17 years old.
They had no reason to kill owner except to stop him from identifying them.
In this county the kids carry & rob & kill as early as 11 years old---many of them never live to see 25 years

http://www.freep.com/article/2011111...text|FRONTPAGE

Last edited by HOWARD J; November 13, 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old December 8, 2011, 04:28 AM   #34
loneviking

I was burglarized two weeks ago. The thieves made it into one safe that was a digital keypad with a key overide. Turns out these types of safes are easy to crack with a set of jiggler keys. The big combination safe like you see at Costco are often just as worthless. They have a common 'master' combination and these combos seem to be well known. The safe they didn't get into was a keyed safe with no combo and a type of lock jiggler keys don't work on. Choose your safes carefully and check out the safe cracking vids on Youtube.
Old December 18, 2011, 08:52 PM   #35
danbowkley

Location: Based in Belleview, FL USA (but probably on the open road somewhere in the 48)
I retrofit my cheesy Sentry safe from Mall-Wart with a Mosler group 1b safe lock I got on ebay. Mostly because I'm a wannabe locksmith, but it does provide a bit more security. The lock that came in the Sentry was on par with those cheesy Master combination locks, a la school lockers. Granted, the Sentry won't put up much of a fight if you bring a big enough crowbar, but it is bolted deep into the concrete floor in my garage.

Seriously considering rigging up a big honkin' can of pepper spray in the safe.
Old December 19, 2011, 02:53 AM   #36
avardcurt

Unfortunately the first place those guns will go is the local drug dealer in exchange for (fill in the blank with any illicit drug). Then to other dealers/gang members on the street. They won't go to pawn shops as only on TV do they do that. It will be used in no less than 5 shooting crimes before it has a chance of being recovered. It has a better chance of being sold to an unassuming citizen in a FTF deal if it's a quality piece.

Armslist is growing and more FTF sales are taking place from there every day.

A good safe bolted to floor in a place not thought of by crooks. A good 24/7/366 security monitoring company (alarm) is manditory. Photograph your guns 360 with a good clear shot of the serial number and all accessories you have added. Keep a current up to date copy of your gun collection info ready in case of fire or burglary or other catastrophe. Bad people want your stuff and don't care what they damage to get to it.
Old December 22, 2011, 01:24 PM   #37
Jeremiah10:23

I am newly CC licensed and I am looking for my first carry gun. Are there any websites a person can use to see if a used gun is stolen?
Old December 25, 2011, 10:33 AM   #38
nebraska_farmer

OP, who does he think did it?
Old January 13, 2012, 01:36 PM   #39
RangeDS

Sorry for your neighbor! That's painful in many ways.

My question...and I'm specifically curious about guns (though it can be used on any valuable) do you want the gun / item returned to you if recovered by the police?

There are hundreds of millions of dollars of products sitting in LE evidence rooms across the country. If you have DataDot DNA (yes I'm a distributor) on your valuables after said thief removed the serial number how will LE know who the item belongs to?

Check out this:
CSI Video
Video and Link

And as knowledge of this product continues to increase it becomes an increasingly effective DETERRANT. Subaru dealers in Australia began using it a few years ago and have realized a 67% decrease in theft since they started using it DATA DOT DNA on all their cars. You can put it on any thing (just not a moving part of an item).

Range Development Services
Old January 25, 2012, 12:09 PM   #40
CelticArmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebraska_farmer View Post
OP, who does he think did it?
He figures it was his step daughters boyfriend. They were living with him for a short time and he has a record for B&E and such. My neighbor had to kick them out because of their behavior (the "kids" are in their mid 20s) and so he figures it was them as they knew exactly what to take and where it was. But he has no proof so I doubt they're going to find his guns. I figured I'd list them on the stolen guns databases and spread the word in case someone who runs a pawn shop or gun shop locally might see them.
Old January 28, 2012, 05:54 AM   #41
CooterShooter

This is just the sort of thing I hate to hear about. Honestly, what's this world coming to?

On a completely unrelated note I want to announce I've recently come into large stock of guns I have no use for and will be selling. I got a lot but to name a few:

Taurus Mod. 2-850021 .38spl snub-nosed revolver, blued, SN. MI78392
Ruger Vaquero .44mag single action revolver, stainless, SN 55-60033
Remington 870 Express, 12ga, parkerized, SN W707318M
Winchester 94 Ranger, .44mag lever rifle, SN 28910
Traditions Buckhunter, .50 Muzzle loader, SN 00-48-32333
Ruger LCP, .380 acp, blued, SN 374-84491

Sellin'em cheap, folks! Get'em fast while they last!

lol, jk. I am sorry to hear about this, though.
Old January 28, 2012, 05:58 AM   #42
CooterShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah10:23 View Post
I am newly CC licensed and I am looking for my first carry gun. Are there any websites a person can use to see if a used gun is stolen?
http://tinyurl.com/stolen-gun-database is a good way to check, but I've never had to use them, and I think the gun has to have been reported to the website, although I'm not sure.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:54 AM   #43
TyranoFelixRex

Don't give 'em rebar, they can make money on it metal scrapyards.
Old February 1, 2012, 04:36 PM   #44
gym

FL has a stolen gun website, it's on my cell, but you can google it. Just run it through there and it's better than nothing
Old February 2, 2012, 01:28 PM   #45
AaronE

Will keep a watch....my brother in Mt Vernon got hit TWICE...they came back to get what they missed the first time. A new safe bolted into a close closet limited the damage to not-all-of-them.
Old February 11, 2012, 07:26 PM   #46
larryh1108

http://www.hotgunz.com/

Use this site to report a stolen gun or if you wish to buy a used gun. It is probably the best site to check. I do not understand why in this day and age we don't have a national registry for stolen guns. It's the computer age! Any used gun I've purchased FTF was checked here first. It may not be 100% but if enough people use it you can have a site to check before you buy.

When you buy a used gun that goes thru an FFL, do they check the serial# as part of the transfer?
Old February 11, 2012, 09:33 PM   #47
Powderman

There is a national registry of stolen guns. It's called Triple-I (Interstate Identification Index) and accessing it is as simple as giving a call to your local police department. Usually, LE is very understanding about concerns like this, and will run the serial number for you.

Triple I is the database where ALL serial numbers of stolen firearms are entered. It is national in scope; once serial numbers are entered they are NEVER removed, unless the firearm is recovered.

Dealers and pawn brokers (at least in WA State) retain items for 30 days before selling them. This gives them a chance to check the serial numbers with local law enforcement.

Sadly, most stolen guns will NEVER see a legitimate purchase again. They are far too valuable on the street and the only way we can run them is if they're recovered after a crime has been committed, or they come under examination for any other reason.

Best things to do:

A. Record ALL of your serial numbers. Make copies, and keep them in a safe place.

B. Make sure that your insurance company will replace the guns at REPLACEMENT value, not DEPRECIATED value. Check your policy, too--most companies will only cover firearms for a certain dollar amount. Taking pictures of the guns can be a plus.

C. If you are the victim of a firearms theft, make darned sure that you file a police report. You MUST have the serial number; otherwise even if your gun is recovered, it will not be released to you.
Old February 18, 2012, 09:45 PM   #48
cyclopsshooter

Quote:
Only if the thieves are idiots or have very good fake government identification required for pawning in Washington, which isn't likely. The burglar(s) isn't taking these guns to a pawn shop. If they do go to a pawn shop, they will be spotted by the cops who run the pawn tickets.

The notion that pawn shops is where all the stolen property goes is a very out of date cliche. Most of the time when stolen items end up in pawn shops, they end up there because the items were sold to somebody else first who did not know they were stolen and they ended up pawning just like they would pawn any of their other items.

Sadly, by putting out notice, if said notice makes it to pawn brokers, they will then not accept said guns into pawn and hence such a list is counterproductive to recovery. Knowingly accepting stolen property is illegal. Not only that, the pawn brokers risk losing the money they spent on the items as well as the items and so knowingly accepting stolen goods is a lose lose lose situation for them.]
Well said and very true! That cliche gets VERY old if you work at a pawnshop...
Old February 19, 2012, 02:29 PM   #49
Gtimothy

I would love to be able to bolt my safe to the floor but I am a renter. I don't think my land lord would understand me boring holes into the slab through his carpet to accomplish it. I have very limited options for locating it as well. Anyone have suggestions on making it less of a target? Anything done would have to be easily and cheaply repairable. BTW: It currently weighs over six hundred pounds so it would take more than two people to move. I also have a monitored alarm system so any thieves would have to be quick!
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." -Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Gtimothy; February 19, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:29 PM   #50
Radarcarve

a thief recalls

What would I rejoice at taking? A gun safe! In my travels, I have removed some sizeable things. But the best is gun safes. It is a red flag to alert anyone... here is the value. I have many valuable items that I despair at losing... what do I do? 1) I stash in an odd place, like behind the refridgerator. 2) for a valuable piece, that I would grieve over after a fire, I take to a friend or family, if I am to be away. A gun safe? Stupid!